Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
From the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
GPS installtion tips 101
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
I was thinking about GPS issues some were having, how about installing torrid around the line, that might help. I've seen that work well for some XA users, you might reduce the EFI to the GPS unit but through the cable you will receive interference.

I'll try it out when I get my unit back.

Andy
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:12 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
Managed to get the gains dialed in pretty close, could probably tweak it some more and I will over the long weekend. Late afternoon I decided to hook up the servos for the camera mount and turn on the GoPro to see how stable it is compared to when this frame had an MK flight controller running the show via I2C converter to the PWM ESC's. The camera mount is a well used AV130 with worn Hyperion servos, I mainly use it for stills and as a backup to the new AV130 that's hanging under the Droidworx AD6.

I took a SWAG at the settings for the gimbal in the DJI Assistant software and leveled the mount by eye, looks like I got it pretty close, makes me think it can get a lot better if I spend some time to do it right. Since I already had a video done with the Mk in front of the house I did the WKM video in the same place though not exactly the same flight path.

The first video is the WKM controller, the second a video I did with the best setup I could get out of the MK controller. I think it's much steadier with the WKM and the ONLY difference is the flight controller hardware, everything else is exactly the same. Neither video has been edited or stabilized, the only processing that has been done is whatever Youtube does when the video is uploaded, otherwise 720P MP4 straight from the GoPro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNBB-AdHu9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHEt1fAZCU

Over the weekend my goal is to do a video flight with the AD6 and new AV130 then swap the lower assembly with the Y6 and do the same flight with the new 130 under the WKM to see which is more stable, the MK or Wookong flying the same mount and camera.
That is very smooth video. Close to "utopia".
Can you post a pic of the setup and if possible a screen shot of the camera stabilization settings?

Thanks and keep posting updates.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
20 Posts
Hi, Boris,

Try to press the 'default' or 'reset' button on each page. Then recalibrate your TX CALI on the dedicated page of the assistant software(refer to STEP1 on page 9 of the manual). Then repower the controller.

That is the last thing I can figure out.
ZT_RCGP is offline Find More Posts by ZT_RCGP
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Regarding the control mode switch and travel /End point adjustment.

This is totally normal and required to do. Each TX/RX is a little different. Most of the time the channel is adjusted so it is in fail safe or not in one of the control modes at 100% (default). Adjust the control mode sub trim in TX to get the middle position switch correct (Attitude). Then adjust the end points for manual and GPS.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2011
20 Posts
Sorry for missing some messages above. Hmmm.
Anyway, it is a good news.
Enjoy yourself!!!
ZT_RCGP is offline Find More Posts by ZT_RCGP
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:36 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
+1

Also the weight of all the modules and associated wiring would be a good data point
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
can someone confirm what gyro's are used on this boad? it helps us to realise what we can expect from it.

I don't see it in the tech and spec. It's nice to know whats under the hood of the car

thanks
Steve
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:53 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Just waiting for my ESCs to arrive than I will be able to get it in the air.
Are there any concerns of having the IMU and MC close together ? Hope the GPS unit is far enough away from the IMU ?

BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:00 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,129 Posts
Boris:

Nice looking set up. I don't think that I would mount the IMU on top of the FC. Based on my experience with sensor units, you don't want any thing touching them if possible. The FC is not sensitive to orientation so you are free to mount where ever you have some free space.

Ed
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
+1

Also the weight of all the modules and associated wiring would be a good data point
Cheers,
Jim

Total Weight: <= 150g
Dimensions: Main Controller: 61mm x 39.6mm x 15.8mm
IMU: 40mm x 31mm x 26mm
GPS & Compass: 50mm (diameter) x 9mm
LED Indicator: 25mm x 25mm x 7mm

can someone confirm what gyro's are used on this boad? it helps us to realise what we can expect from it.

I don't see it in the tech and spec. It's nice to know whats under the hood of the car

thanks
Steve
For some reason I don't think you are going to get DJI to tell you the components inside. I'm sure you can open yours up and void your warranty and then can tell everyone.
Wait, you do have a DJI right?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
40 Posts
Anyways, out of topic.

The name Wookong might be name after the famous chinese god (Soon Woo Kong)

In our chinese legends, this creature flys and hovers with precision. Haha.
XsenseX is offline Find More Posts by XsenseX
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:25 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,404 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the system weight data.
I really don't intend to offend you or your products. Many of us involved in flying and testing multicopters over the last 9 years make informed decisions and recommendations based on reality and not emotion, so the data sheets and pcb quality, along with unbiased user videos and real test under operational flight environment conditions from no to >15kts of wind and gusts tell us the whole story. This should be a good selling point for DJI too. Of couse the motors/ESCs/Props/total flying weight/diameter and lipo used are factors to consider as well and should always be stated for the best possible build.
Cheers,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
Total Weight: <= 150g
Dimensions: Main Controller: 61mm x 39.6mm x 15.8mm
IMU: 40mm x 31mm x 26mm
GPS & Compass: 50mm (diameter) x 9mm
LED Indicator: 25mm x 25mm x 7mm

thanks
Steve
For some reason I don't think you are going to get DJI to tell you the components inside. I'm sure you can open yours up and void your warranty and then can tell everyone.
Wait, you do have a DJI right?
Last edited by jesolins; Sep 03, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:26 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
That is very smooth video. Close to "utopia".
Can you post a pic of the setup and if possible a screen shot of the camera stabilization settings?

Thanks and keep posting updates.
I will get to that later today, right now have to go out and clean up the remnants of hurricane Irene from the yard. Just took the Y6 out for a quick flight to see how it handles the wind as its pretty breezy here today, must be a good time of day for GPS as it went from 3 flashes to none in about 30 seconds. Up in the air it held position and orientation like there was no wind!

Still has a bit of a wobble when the wind pushes it so I guess I'll keep sliding the gains up the scale until it either stops or oscillations start, the two points are probably pretty close to one another.

The video was good for a first try, it can and will get better. I believe that in low to no wind it will be possible to get video that is perfectly smooth or as close to that as you will ever see from a multi rotor. I know what the Droidworx/MK AD6 can do with the new AV130 and it isn't anywhere close to as smooth and stable as the Y6.

More later...
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:38 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Tahoe Ed what would you recommend if i lift the IMU by a 3 4 cm would that be enough i really want to stay with the tower setup so i have enough space to mount the ESCs on the centerplate.

Thanks

Boris
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:42 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
seen in a video before what RTRyder achieved with the new av 130 and his AD 6 with the MK electronics. Really looking forwad to his results with the WKM and the same setup

Boris
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:51 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,819 Posts
Boris, please resize your pics
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member