HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
Trying to understand something
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
209 Posts
[/QUOTE]The camera is a Panasonic SD 800 camcorder, just letting it do its own thing on auto.[/QUOTE]

Good lens. If I may advise you, this is what to use to have 35mm x 0,7= 24,5mm. Much better for landscapes and interiors IMHO:

youtube.com/watch?v=MMBVPh2i9FY
jovito is offline Find More Posts by jovito
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
Is it safe to switch between flight modes during flight??

Also in Hexa Configue, is the DJI design to fly if one motor cease?
quadman is offline Find More Posts by quadman
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
+1, +1 indeed!
+1 again, Jim is one of the most helpful people around.
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJh9...Yv4czC1ddd8rn-
Wow...5000 nanotech 90c 4 cell x2 gives me 5 minutes max. Only flown once with this setup and I could do with a little more airtime around 7mins would be nice. Should I try the zippy 8000 4cell x2 or does any one else have any ideas?
All up weight is around 6100g about 13lb.
Motors AXi 2826-12
Props 13x6.5 Apc E
Ztw 60A esc's
Av200 with 360 mount
Dji wkm
Gimbal has cctv camera, Fy3o stab, 5.8 vtx...
and a Canon Dslr...

Cant wait to start using her for some serious stuff
My MK based Okto is 6.2kg and get around 8-10min max with 4s 6000mah packs x2. You could look at the following possibilities to get more flight time:
1. ESC switching frequency, if set too high, the copter will be stable (motors respond faster) but not efficient, and motors also run hotter.
2. Different props to match your motors peak efficiency range.

However I also found that flying style and strong win can make a huge difference in flight times. One flight where I was basically just hovering in strong wind, I had my batteries drain to the warning point at around 7 mins, or a calm day I can easily hover up to 10mins.
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
Got four 14x4.7 sf and four counter 14x4.7 sf APC props, all new never used. $45 shipped.
quadman is offline Find More Posts by quadman
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
From the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index ESC section:
--TIP 5: Listen to your ESCs! After power on after the arming beep if they beep once for each of the number of cells in your lipo, i.e. 3 times for 3s, then you should be thinking to yourself...."self...why am I hearing 3 beeps indicating my lipo cell count when I know that I should have set my multicopter ESCs to NiMh to makes sure my ESCs do not cutoff power and cause a flip"...When you power on most ESCs that are set to Lipo Low Voltage Cutoff, they will do a beep for each lipo cell. As it states in Tip 4 Lipo is an incorrect setting as they should be set to NiMH for multicopter use to help prevent flips that are caused by the ESCs individually going into LVC. If you set the ESCs to NiMh like you are supposed to do with multicopter ESCs so they do not cutoff and cause a crash, then you will not hear these beeps http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19584492

Cheers,
Jim
This certainly is the cause of the flipping of my rigs, but there has been another problem I have encountered that doesnt sound like its esc related. Several times I have had a sudden near complete loss of pitch and roll control without warning. After a few minutes of normal flight it suddenly decides it doesnt want to fly right. I still have full throttle control but pushing the right stick all the way in any direction has little effect. The first time it happened I was able to get it over some pine needles and no damage was done. I immediately righted it and took off again and it flew fine. It has happened 2 more times since I upgraded to the latest, killing 6 props in the process. I am now out of props and have more on order. 1 or 2 other people on this thread have described similar behavior. Between the first time it happened and the last 2 times, I had at least 25 flights with no problems. Im sending my wkm to Robert to see if there indeed is a problem with the wkm, or if it is just me. I gots to know!
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadman View Post
Is it safe to switch between flight modes during flight??

Also in Hexa Configue, is the DJI design to fly if one motor cease?
No. I had an ESC fail in flight on a hex and it fell like a bucket of bricks.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Puriton
Joined Mar 2009
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer View Post
My MK based Okto is 6.2kg and get around 8-10min max with 4s 6000mah packs x2. You could look at the following possibilities to get more flight time:
1. ESC switching frequency, if set too high, the copter will be stable (motors respond faster) but not efficient, and motors also run hotter.
2. Different props to match your motors peak efficiency range.

However I also found that flying style and strong win can make a huge difference in flight times. One flight where I was basically just hovering in strong wind, I had my batteries drain to the warning point at around 7 mins, or a calm day I can easily hover up to 10mins.
Thanks for the feedback MalaysianFlyer....
In reply to your comments, yes Ive got the Axi's set at high timing so you think medium would be better. Ive also got a brand new set of 14x4.7 apc props which I could fit but Im led to believe the wkm doesnt like big props so I bought these instead. what props are you using and have you got the same motors fitted?
Cheers
Paul
eyeball is offline Find More Posts by eyeball
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Ukrainian beach today from my DJI quad.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
painter12 is offline Find More Posts by painter12
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
Looks cozy!
Knilch is offline Find More Posts by Knilch
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:10 AM
United Kingdom, England, Puriton
Joined Mar 2009
115 Posts
Brrrrrrrrrrrr......I bet even that Quad was wrapped up warm with a wooly hat on........now where did I put my swim trunks??
eyeball is offline Find More Posts by eyeball
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
Brrrrrrrrrrrr......I bet even that Quad was wrapped up warm with a wooly hat on........now where did I put my swim trunks??
It was very cold. I flew for 10 minutes. Then my hands hurt a half hour in a warm car! Here's what's interesting: in the cold in Atti mode blinking blue color (or similar, through sunglasses poorly visible) sometimes... But the behavior of the device was predictable ...
painter12 is offline Find More Posts by painter12
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacintheclouds View Post
Once again a sudden loss of control resulting in 3 more broken props. Anyone else having this kind of problem? No warning, no flashes of white this time, just sudden flipover and crash. ???
Did you find solution or not I had the similar issue and I solved it
farooq_niaZ is offline Find More Posts by farooq_niaZ
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:48 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
866 Posts
The camera is a Panasonic SD 800 camcorder, just letting it do its own thing on auto.[/QUOTE]

Good lens. If I may advise you, this is what to use to have 35mm x 0,7= 24,5mm. Much better for landscapes and interiors IMHO:

youtube.com/watch?v=MMBVPh2i9FY[/QUOTE]
I don't think I can change the lens?
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:50 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter12 View Post
Ukrainian beach today from my DJI quad.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif