SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, CT, Broad Brook
Joined Jul 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
Only if you decide to enable and use the new function. I think DJI needs to expand the available ports to control things. With the release of the power module X1 was lost leaving just X2 and X3, and there are now more features than ability to use/control them.
I agree Ken, even though I have the SBUS rx, it's very limited now. Hopefully I can assign a switch to use one or the other, because I like both the carefree and the pitch control.
ScottPhoto is offline Find More Posts by ScottPhoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:13 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Only if you decide to enable and use the new function. I think DJI needs to expand the available ports to control things. With the release of the power module X1 was lost leaving just X2 and X3, and there are now more features than ability to use/control them.
Yes I agree, one way round it would be for DJi to allow use of X1 and have the power module used on a Y-lead in to the same socket, thus still being able to messure voltage and get power..
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
For me, the jury is stil out, re: v5.02 fixing the gimbal issue. I had a flight with my XA Hexa yesterday, with the MC6500Pro mount, but I've got either some vibration issues, or the gains are not right, or both, as I'm seeing lots of vibrations/jello again. I also have some GPS-based "toilet bowl" effects, so I need to check the Assistant mounting entries, and I need to re-cal the compass. I didn't really notice the problem until I went to test the RTH/autoland function. When I engaged this, it went up to 50 feet, flew back over the takeoff point, but then did a 30 foot spiral descent, just missing a tree that was right over my head, and then when it touched down, it slid a bit, causing it to roll over, breaking two props.

Anyway, with all this going on, I can't really tell if the drift issue is affecting the video, or not. Today I will re-prop, do the compass calibration and try a firmer mounting for the MC6500PRO. It comes with two foam tubes that go over the XA Hexa CF mounting booms, and then the gimbal mounting plate is simply attached with four O-rings. Very loose-y goose-y. I had better luck before hard-mounting it to the tubes. The first thing I will try is to replace the O-rings with zip ties.

One thing I don't like about this gimbal is that it doesn't like the extra weight of the GoPro case. I don't like using these without the case, so I'm now only going to use my older GoPro, not either of my GoPro2s. This GoPro currently has a RageCams 2.8mm lens, but I find this is a bit soft. I've managed to scratch the original GoPro lens, and the Sunex as well, in "minor" incidents, which is why I'll only fly with the cases on the GoPro2s.

One other test I'll try this morning is to see if what I saw in my earlier ground test is repeatable. As I said, it appeared that the twitching stopped once enough satellites were found that the red LED stopped flashing altogether.

-- Gary
I'm trying to upload a video right now that I did late yesterday after upgrading the CS6 to the latest firmware. Overall it does appear steadier but there's still a small amount of motion present in the roll axis that I have not been able to completely get rid of. My ISP keeps dropping my connection so I don't know if I'll be able to get the vid uploaded anytime soon, I'll post the link if it ever completes.

I'd like to do more testing today but it's been pouring rain with fairly high wind all day, have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Yes I agree, one way round it would be for DJi to allow use of X1 and have the power module used on a Y-lead in to the same socket, thus still being able to messure voltage and get power..
I've asked for something similar before. If you decide to not use the power module you should be able to choose what to use X1 for, of the two WKM I have only the newer one is using the power module yet I can't use X1 on the one that isn't.

Of course there's always the PPM option...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
297 Posts
I just had my first well almost perfect first flight, running the latest 5.02 FW, MK Hexa XL custom build with Avroto M2814's and Maytech 30amp ESC's. APC 11x4.7, Aurora 9 transmitter.

2 problems I am having.
I am flying in "Intelligent mode" GPS, and Home lock on. So after I execute the CSC the motors turn on for 3 seconds and if I don't apply throttle they shut off which is correct, my problem is there is still a little to much thrust when my throttle stick is all the way down before the motors cut off.
Where would I adjust this? Do I need to do a custom throttle curve on my transmitter?
Right now it is just a linear curve or is there something else I am missing?

Besides that my first flight went ok, I have all my AUTOPILOT stuff set at default, when the copter hovers there is a little twitch, what would be the first thing I should look at changing in the "Basic Gains"

Thanks everyone
Steve
kuau is online now Find More Posts by kuau
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Why single waypoint is called this way ? can I navigate only to one waypoint ?
Also - how well does it preform ?
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maljonic View Post
This is my maiden flight of my MK Hexa2 frame with Wookong M flight controller yesterday. Sorry the on board video is slightly out of focus because I made a snafu with the camera. Also the external video has wobbles in here and there where my acolyte Kevin has hiccups. I could have cut them out, but thought it was kind of funny to leave them in for when he watches it later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-QA-SLd0o
Hey
nice vid! What camera mount is that?
fiego007 is offline Find More Posts by fiego007
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
I finally managed to get the video uploaded between network outages. It's easy to see there is still some tiny amount of twitchiness in the roll axis at times and I'm not entirely sure where it's coming from. Is it an artifact of the gimbal motion problem, is it the WKM being a little too eager to try and compensate for small disstrubances of the airframe, are the isolation mounts on the CS setup a little too soft allowing the whole camera mount to rock back and forth slightly...?

The good news is that the new setup appears to handle wind much better, once it's up above the treetops you can hear some upper level wind in the audio and there's hardly any shaking or twitching in response and the whole ascent/descent was done in GPS mode. I think a large part of that is due to the Maytech ESC upgrade because it was never that steady with the previous ESCs even when they had the reflashed firmware.

CS6TestFlight (5 min 44 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
34 Posts
does anybody use the turnigy 9x on wookong? Heard you could modify it so it had failsafe as well?
fiego007 is offline Find More Posts by fiego007
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,912 Posts
Got my WKM mounted on my F450 frame with Data Link. I did some video on the installation and will continue with the setup for View and Click and go. Stay tuned.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Dec 2006
72 Posts
Quote:
I finally managed to get the video uploaded between network outages. It's easy to see there is still some tiny amount of twitchiness in the roll axis at times and I'm not entirely sure where it's coming from. Is it an artifact of the gimbal motion problem, is it the WKM being a little too eager to try and compensate for small disstrubances of the airframe, are the isolation mounts on the CS setup a little too soft allowing the whole camera mount to rock back and forth slightly...?

The good news is that the new setup appears to handle wind much better, once it's up above the treetops you can hear some upper level wind in the audio and there's hardly any shaking or twitching in response and the whole ascent/descent was done in GPS mode. I think a large part of that is due to the Maytech ESC upgrade because it was never that steady with the previous ESCs even when they had the reflashed firmware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6xOTV1KGz8
Nice video.
buhojean is offline Find More Posts by buhojean
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to upload a video right now that I did late yesterday after upgrading the CS6 to the latest firmware. Overall it does appear steadier but there's still a small amount of motion present in the roll axis that I have not been able to completely get rid of. My ISP keeps dropping my connection so I don't know if I'll be able to get the vid uploaded anytime soon, I'll post the link if it ever completes.

I'd like to do more testing today but it's been pouring rain with fairly high wind all day, have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest.
I just did another ground test, and although the problem now seems to be a bit more random in nature, it is still happening. Sometimes it will just simply stop doing it, and then it will come back and start doing it again. The ratio, from what I observed for about 10 minutes, was the drifting problem stopped about 1/3rd of the time, and it did it about 2/3rds of the time.

DJI WK-M gimbal drift test. (2 min 55 sec)

As seen in the video, I also had a mysterious white double flash. I happened to see this once when I was flying yesterday, as well. I have never seen this except since I switched to this v5.02 version, but that could just be a coincidence.

Anyway, the drift problem remains.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,064 Posts
has anyone had any luck building a X-8 to lift a DSLR yet?

I am contemplating going X8 instead of traditional 8 rotor...

I am curious to see what kind of flight characteristics DJI has on an X8... if it's anything like the Y-6 video's I see it should be good.

thoughts?

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
From Huddos video, it looks like when course lock is on, it went in the forward direction, the way the camera was pointing, when he yawed around. It's like HH with a heli. Huddo, does that sound right?
Correct!

It makes it easier to fly as its always from the perspective from where you are standing.

No matter which way the quad is facing, the forward, back left and right motion on the sitcks is from your perspective.

Home lock is similar but does it from the point where you enable home lock. So regardless of the quad's orientation in the air, pull back on the stick and it will come back towards you.
Huddo is offline Find More Posts by Huddo
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
California
Joined Nov 2009
145 Posts
Guys,

My hexa in GPS is mode is all over the place. I waited for complete purple light flashing only. Then in flight, I seen 2 white fleshes follow by purple. What does that mean????
quadman is offline Find More Posts by quadman