HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:55 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
558 Posts
Quick Question regarding remotely adjusting gain settings

I've seen a number of gain settings posted here and in other forums but I was curious regarding going into the field and assigning basic gains to a slider. Those of you who have done this, do you assign to Pitch, Roll, Yaw and globally change or do you adjust a single one based on drift or whatever else you are trying to correct?

Hope this makes sense. THANKS
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, CT, Broad Brook
Joined Jul 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw View Post
I've seen a number of gain settings posted here and in other forums but I was curious regarding going into the field and assigning basic gains to a slider. Those of you who have done this, do you assign to Pitch, Roll, Yaw and globally change or do you adjust a single one based on drift or whatever else you are trying to correct?

Hope this makes sense. THANKS
I started out with 200,200,200,200 & 100/100 for ATT, then tweaked them individually while flying. (I have a large/heavy hexa)

My current settings are 300,300,260,280 and 65/65. Almost perfect, but I still occasionally get some occilation in windy conditions.
ScottPhoto is offline Find More Posts by ScottPhoto
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,990 Posts
as for gains... I see most people have large numbers.... personally I can't get above 150% and it starts shaking like mad...

I am running old firmware however... I am too sacred to upgrade, I get white flashes but the heli flies fine....

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
279 Posts
Quadcopter Flight Cases

Has anyone found Flight Cases suitable for carrying a folded 650v (with Wookong M fitted), radio gear, tools and Lipos. Looking at the Helivol 600 Flight case but weighs 22kg and is the size of a coffin....!!!
VerticalVue is online now Find More Posts by VerticalVue
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
as for gains... I see most people have large numbers.... personally I can't get above 150% and it starts shaking like mad...

I am running old firmware however... I am too sacred to upgrade, I get white flashes but the heli flies fine....

Steve
What size quad are you flying?
VerticalVue is online now Find More Posts by VerticalVue
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,990 Posts
Ben, it's a 500mm spacing quad that has an AUW of 3.0kg

It flies well with the lower gains but if the basic gain is too low then it will not hold gps position (when will they EVER disconnect basic gains from GPS gains?)

funny thing is that my naza does the same shaking but my other WKM does not... so it must be in the setup.

I have changed my Z value to a negative number because my camera is slung very low under the quad... but this makes it shake even worse!!! so I then put in the same number but positive in the Z (opposite to the manuals instructions) then it did not shake as bad

I wish there was a final word on the whole Z axis +- issue from someone at DJI

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jun 2004
142 Posts
Alainphoto, here is a large Hexa using Wookong M as it's controller.

Onboard hex footageYouTube.mov (5 min 4 sec)

ATB Hexacopter.mov (4 min 23 sec)

So Yes, the wookong is GREAT with a large Hexa, with the right ESC's and motors of course.
cbergen is offline Find More Posts by cbergen
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
142 Posts
Saabguy, which Z are you talking about, IMU or GPS?
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
Guys,

Can you enlighten me, why I can't install the 32bit driver? I have a window XP dell computer. I connected all the wires for the MC and ran a 11.1V lipo to power up the MC and connected the USB wire from the MC to the computer.

But soon as I double click the .BAT file, a black window flash up, then disappear. In the manual, it said, I will need to follow the instruction and complete the installation. Anyone with anyone suggestions?
quadman is offline Find More Posts by quadman
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alainphoto View Post
Hello

I am newly looking into DJI’s controller product and a bit scared at the 500 pages thread reading.
I need a very stable controller for a large octo to fly advanced photo gear like 5D mk2 plus heavy lens.

DJI seems to have the performance and the simplicity, for quite a high price (I read the timecop review).
But I also read they are not so good for large octos, plus customer service answer seems quite challenged here.
I see many advanced users are already selling theirs in this forum too.

If there anyone doing advanced AP can confirm if DJI is the proper way to go for a large craft – or not ?

Thanks guys !

Alain
Before DJI I flew MK electronics on my APV multis, I'm currently flying a CineStar 6 with WKM controller and Photohigher camera gimbal and I'm in the process of converting my Droidworx AD6 from Mk to WKM. Here's a sample of what you can do with the WKM on a large hex (CineStar 6)...

Sheep Pasture.mts (2 min 31 sec)
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPhoto View Post
Ken, I also have the Savox servos on my AV130 and although I do get a little movement on the ground when GPS locks, it doesn't seem to be the case when flying. Here's a gimble test vid I did. Notice the last minute of the video when I set it to GPS hold and took my hands off the TX:

http://youtu.be/-5z9atqmZh8
Hi, At 1:01 in, about the only time your tilt moves, look at the horizon where the tree line becomes sky. You can see a vertical "twitch". A quick 1 frame jerk up or down. This is something stabilizer software doesn't fix so it is annoying... at least to me. I will say with how calm the wind was in your flight helped and it looked like the gains were set pretty low too? Anyway, there are people I am sure who don't care about the "vertical twitches" especially when it is a rare event like in this video, but it doesn't seem to be rare for many, especially with more wind.

I am in a bit of a hurry tonight so pardon me: I didn't really watch past 1:05 into this video, so if I missed other stuff, this is why. Plus I am not saying this isn't a nice video because it is. But it seems like if you look, you can pretty much find the "twitch" fairly often.
TimIndy is offline Find More Posts by TimIndy
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I am having a problem with the GPS getting any Sats, I get 3 Red blinks forever. I have a Range Video OSD onboard the quad and it gets a lock. I turned off the VTX the Camera and the RV OSD and I still do not get a lock at all.
Any ideas?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
Trying to understand something
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergen View Post
Alainphoto, here is a large Hexa using Wookong M as it's controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkclK...0dFAAAAAAAADAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlL60...Vo9a2fPrwNArAM

So Yes, the wookong is GREAT with a large Hexa, with the right ESC's and motors of course.
Yes it's really smooth! What motors/ESC's/frame/props/gimbal are you using at this configuration?
Post stabilization?

Jo
jovito is offline Find More Posts by jovito
Last edited by jovito; Jan 02, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:16 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
Before DJI I flew MK electronics on my APV multis, I'm currently flying a CineStar 6 with WKM controller and Photohigher camera gimbal and I'm in the process of converting my Droidworx AD6 from Mk to WKM. Here's a sample of what you can do with the WKM on a large hex (CineStar 6)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_BmNcz264
Very very nice!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 02, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Jun 2004
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovito View Post
Yes it's really smooth! What motors/ESC's/frame/props/gimbal are you using at this configuration?
Post stabilization?

Jo
No post, raw video.

ATB Hexa frame with OS motors and Turnigy 60 amp ESC's turning 13X6.5 props.

The camera mount wasn't even powered at this stage, basically just something to use to hold the camera. We now have a large mount to carry some pro sized cameras under this Hexa and upcoming Octo copter.

Testing is continuing using different motors and esc's to find the optimal cost vs efficency vs proper working unit.