HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:14 AM
The "NEW" Approach ! :)
Ridgecrest, California
Joined Oct 2002
58 Posts
That is a Beautiful Thing!! Flying a Hex Indoors ..
Have a safe New Year!!

Question: What Video Editing software are you using?

Thank you in advance!

Dr.Tim
Dr.Tim is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:21 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tim View Post
That is a Beautiful Thing!! Flying a Hex Indoors ..
Have a safe New Year!!

Question: What Video Editing software are you using?

Thank you in advance!

Dr.Tim
PowerDirector 9
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redridinghood View Post
Just a FYI DJI wkm provides no redundancy in case of a lost prop or motor on a flat eight. At least not in my case.
I was hovering a few meters of the ground when a bug hit my jxf 14x4. Wkm made no compensation for the missing prop. Was in gps mode. I managed to land with no damage, but I now question the need for an octocopter with this controller.
That must have been one big bug. How does your WKM like the big props? I'll be using 13x6.5 and have heard that the WKM can oscillate in wind with big props.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
thanks rt, good info. that is very strange. quick question, is the droidworx larger or smaller than the cinestar? i've been running all the variables through my head all day, and the y6 i built is large (31" motor to motor or 3ft effective diameter). there may be some truth that the wkm cannot handle large multis. not because it is not capable, but a lot of the control parameters are not exposed to the end user (like MK, CC, wii, etc...)

Oh boy will I have a great time figuring this one out...
The Droidworx AD6 is significanly smaller than the CineStar 6, The CS is close to your 31 inch motor to motor distance. The WKM can handle a multi that large just fine, it's more a matter of tuning the gains correctly and using the right props. The largest prop I can get to work well on the CS6 is the APC 12 x 6 thin electric, it actually works better with Graupner 11 x 5 as far as stability is concerned. The thing about the WKM and large multis is it needs to have much smaller props than you think are necessary and it also needs a thin blade profile like the Graupner e-prop or APC thin electric. While the APC 12 x 6 work, the 12 and 11 inch APC slow fly props wobble badly and no amount of gain tuning can get rid of all of it.

The other thing with WKM and large multis, you will need basic gains set much higher than you might think is necessary, I have the pitch and roll basic gains set to 320% with the yaw and vertical on the maximum settings for the CS6. The ATTI gains I have on a TX slider with the midpoint set for 75%, that way I can go as low the software will allow (40%) in windy conditions, and bump it up to a max of 120% in dead calm air, that's only way I've found to get a setup that works as well as possible in all conditions I want to fly in. I also had this WKM on a Y6 prior to moving it to the CineStar and it flew quite well but that one was only about 26 inches motor to motor, still large enough to have wobble problems though.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2009
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I also had this WKM on a Y6 prior to moving it to the CineStar and it flew quite well but that one was only about 26 inches motor to motor, still large enough to have wobble problems though.
Hi,

I'm thinking to build an Y6.
Do you think that a "classical" hex is more reliable than a Y6 with the Wookong?

BTW, Happy New Year to all of you!
helicoblast is online now Find More Posts by helicoblast
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Working on it + gimbal .... but that is not my job, I leave that to engineering. Occasionally light a fire on their behinds.

My job here is to have fun, not today (Saturday) I do not fly on my day off.

Here is my latest. I am beginning to worry about freight cost bringing all the toys back to Chicago.

Happy New Year!

In another hour, the year 2012 is here.
Sidney --

I love this new hex implementation. I have the XA version, which is similar. Mine is still out-of-commission, at the moment, as I need some new arms. Anyway, what LEDs are you using? I like these much better than the strips I've been using. I also like the fact that you did the colors this way, with green on the right, red on the left, blue in back and white in front. That's how I like to do it as well. Any idea when these new hexa kits will be available?

I'm down in San Diego for New Year's, and the mailman didn't come before I left yesterday, so I can't do the test with the new GPS module until Tuesday. I have my F450/Naza setup with me down here, so at least I'll get some flight time in.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
The Droidworx AD6 is significanly smaller than the CineStar 6, The CS is close to your 31 inch motor to motor distance.
Some facts so far:
1) CC board + 31" motor to motor distance: yaw is even
2) WKM + 31" motor to motor distance: yaw is VERY slow and uneven (10 sec CCW, 6 sec CW), unflyable

In my great foresight , I drilled several motor mount spacings on my arms. When I moved the motors closer in:

3) WKM +25" motor to motor distance: yaw is 4 sec CCW, 4 sec CW, which is acceptable

The big question now is: WTH?

Anyone else flying a big Y6?
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:39 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,188 Posts
Yes I am flying as 31" Y-6 and it rocks it AUW is 10 lbs. It yaw very well almost to fast and it very positive at stop by like RTRyder said the gains and props take a while to get all in syc together for sure.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
a little car chasing today:
http://youtu.be/iIw0qPwcj2Y
I think you did really well on the second time. Are you framing it by watching a monitor, or just guessing by watching the copter? All were pretty smooth -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Yes I am flying as 31" Y-6 and it rocks it AUW is 10 lbs. It yaw very well almost to fast and it very positive at stop by like RTRyder said the gains and props take a while to get all in syc together for sure.

Michael64
well that's good news. are your gains up like 300% like RT's? are you using 11" or 12" props?
chris24g is offline Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,188 Posts
My gains are little lower than RT's but I think the flat hexa needs a little more than the Y-6 does. Currently building a flat hexa to see the difference. Iam running 11's tried others and 12's but this seems happy on this setup anyway.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
I think you did really well on the second time. Are you framing it by watching a monitor, or just guessing by watching the copter? All were pretty smooth -- JOHN
Thanks. Line of sight until I learn how to fly fpv. Ya, the second one was the only one with correct framing. Gotta keep practicing :-)
llbr22 is offline Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
nice control..
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Jan 01, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:56 AM
Joined Dec 2006
72 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEARS

THIS IS THE FIRST POST 2012
many smooth flights in this year.
buhojean is offline Find More Posts by buhojean
Old Jan 01, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Feb 2008
49 Posts
We had new year 10 hours ago