SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
708 Posts
Y6 uneven yaw

I built a Y6 and tested the frame with a CC board. Flew fine. I swapped over the WK but yaw is *very* biased in the CW direction. It will yaw 2x-3x faster CW than CCW. CCW is so slow as to be almost unflyable. It also wants a lot of left rudder trim just to keep from spinning. I didn't have this problem with an X8.

I can only theorize that the CCW motors (top motors) are spinning faster than the lowers, thereby causing the torque bias. But don't know why.
chris24g is online now Find More Posts by chris24g
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
I built a Y6 and tested the frame with a CC board. Flew fine. I swapped over the WK but yaw is *very* biased in the CW direction. It will yaw 2x-3x faster CW than CCW. CCW is so slow as to be almost unflyable. It also wants a lot of left rudder trim just to keep from spinning. I didn't have this problem with an X8.

I can only theorize that the CCW motors (top motors) are spinning faster than the lowers, thereby causing the torque bias. But don't know why.
Did you calibrate the mag after swapping the brains? And: does it do this also in manual mode?
You also should try to calibrate your ESCs again.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Hey guys, I've been following this forum for a while. They should just have an infinity symbol for the last page. It'll never end. ;-)
I have a software assistant question. I currently am running windows xp 32bit in "Parallel"
on my Mac. Will the software Assistant and Driver work with this setup or do I need to come across the waters and have a "actual" PC running Windows? I was thinking I'd get a head start and enter some settings in to the software Prior to having my y6 delivered to me. I read in the manual the installation procedure. Obviously I didn't connect to the copter first, as i don't have it yet. I did install the driver first though but I'm not sure it worked because of the Mac thing??. I noticed that many of the tools along the menu bar in the assistant were greyed out. inport/export, read/write, and tools. I know someone has dealt with this already but i can't remember the resolution. I'd appreciate any insight from such a knowledgeable forum :-p
thanks,
matt
matthewlavin is offline Find More Posts by matthewlavin
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
Hey guys, I've been following this forum for a while. They should just have an infinity symbol for the last page. It'll never end. ;-)
I have a software assistant question. I currently am running windows xp 32bit in "Parallel"
on my Mac. Will the software Assistant and Driver work with this setup or do I need to come across the waters and have a "actual" PC running Windows? I was thinking I'd get a head start and enter some settings in to the software Prior to having my y6 delivered to me. I read in the manual the installation procedure. Obviously I didn't connect to the copter first, as i don't have it yet. I did install the driver first though but I'm not sure it worked because of the Mac thing??. I noticed that many of the tools along the menu bar in the assistant were greyed out. inport/export, read/write, and tools. I know someone has dealt with this already but i can't remember the resolution. I'd appreciate any insight from such a knowledgeable forum :-p
thanks,
matt
Maybe this will help. turns out I asked this same question not too long ago:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/show...tware-on-a-Mac
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Did you calibrate the mag after swapping the brains?
Yes

Quote:
And: does it do this also in manual mode?
and yes

Quote:
You also should try to calibrate your ESCs again.
hmm, I'm using simonk escs, is there a calibration procedure for those?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,198 Posts
Somebody posted a link the Assistant software 1.11 does anybody have that link as well as the 4.0 firmware. I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
I noticed that many of the tools along the menu bar in the assistant were greyed out. inport/export, read/write, and tools. I know someone has dealt with this already but i can't remember the resolution. I'd appreciate any insight from such a knowledgeable forum :-p
thanks,
matt
If you're using bootcamp it should work. The menus are grey because you didn't connect. Once you have a WKM you'll see...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Hey llbr, Yep, good info:-)

I wonder if it is Parallels?? Anyways, is my software acting this way because the copter isn't hooked up yet or something else??

Before i change systems,
I guess i could wait a few days to get the copter plug it in and see if i have the same issue. You know how hard it is to wait and i want to get a jump on things if i have to change computers are something like that.
best,
matt
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:20 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Somebody posted a link the Assistant software 1.11 does anybody have that link as well as the 4.0 firmware. I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Michael64
Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?tpuqtyckong316q
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
If you're using bootcamp it should work. The menus are grey because you didn't connect. Once you have a WKM you'll see...
Hmmm I'm using Parallels??
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,198 Posts
kinderkram
Thanks for the link

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2006
708 Posts
Is there a Y6 mixer table posted?
I timed my yaw rates and it takes 10sec to piro CCW and 3 sec for CW.

Gonna be a long day/night.

Worst case, I will put the CC back on to verify the running gear is functioning correctly.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Is there a Y6 mixer table posted?
I timed my yaw rates and it takes 10sec to piro CCW and 3 sec for CW.

Gonna be a long day/night.

Worst case, I will put the CC back on to verify the running gear is functioning correctly.
wow! that's a huge difference in timing! I've never setup a Y6, but am curious what the problem may be.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2006
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
wow! that's a huge difference in timing! I've never setup a Y6, but am curious what the problem may be.
I recalibrated my Tx in the WK Assistant and it helped a bit. CCW is down to 6 sec, but CW is still 2x faster. I'm running 4.2, but I don't see any release notes on y6 issues so I'm debating on whether it's worth it.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:13 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,011 Posts
Quote:
I recalibrated my Tx in the WK Assistant and it helped a bit. CCW is down to 6 sec, but CW is still 2x faster. I'm running 4.2, but I don't see any release notes on y6 issues so I'm debating on whether it's worth it.
If you're running with reflashed ESCs it's likely a timing difference between the clockwise and counterclockwise ESCs. I ran into that same issue with the Droidworx AD6 I just converted from MK to a WKM controller. In this case the counterclockwise motors would start before the clockwise and while I could get it to fly a bit there were other related issues that made it impossible to use the reflashed ESCs. The odd thing is I have a set of the exact same ESCs reflashed with the same firmware that work perfectly on my CineStar 6 with WKM, the second set I could not get to work right with any version of firmware I tried...

Solution? I have a new set of ESCs on the way for the AD6. The set that is having problems have 4 that are synch'd enough to use together so I guess I'll be building a quad that needs 30A ESCs...
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder