HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:11 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
This was covered long time ago in this thread.
You need to make sure none of the I2C address pads are bridged (remove the solder) then connect ppm/gnd and it should just work. You can solder a regular servo wire and try it out with a receiver, the motor should respond as expected. MK-BL 1.2 pwm input is really jittery but it should be fine on 2.0.
Japp i know it was covered and I waited for someone to succeed not being in a need to do it myself. Several tried as far a i know including come RTF dealers and didn't make it. But i guess they just made a mistake somewhere on the road.

Edit ( that was the reason again for asking if frank did something additional )

Thanks

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:11 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
The MK ESC's work fine on the bench but now connected to DJI the MK ESC's will not operate. The ESC's stay in error (red and green LED).

I think it is because the PWM puls coming form DJI in off-mode is 942 and is imo to low to start the ESC's???. If I connect a puls-driver all the ESC's are working.

//Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Last edited by Frank.T; Dec 13, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I guess you are right.
Idle output is at 940us, which is below spec. Of course, if MK-BL was opensauce, it would be just a matter of changing a constant and recompiling. Oh well. They're overpriced junks anyway.

What happens if you just throttle up, does going from 940us to ~1100+us on 'idle' throttle not arm MK-BL?
Surely this is something else DJI could add to a list of things to configure in their software....
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
Nederland, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Jul 2010
992 Posts
I tested that, If I start the motors and pull the ESC out and place it in, it still will not start. I think it needs a minimum pulse at power on.

The MK ESC will go to green on 990us, if you plug in on a higher rate you need to go back to 990 to 'arm' the ESC to get it to work.

Is there a way to set the minimum pulse on DJI? or modified MK V2.0 ESC filmware?

If not I have to use 'normal' ESC,s.

Frank
Frank.T is offline Find More Posts by Frank.T
Last edited by Frank.T; Dec 13, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.T View Post

Is there a way to set the minimum pulse on DJI? or modified MK V2.0 ESC filmware?

If not I have to use 'normal' ESC,s.

Frank
No on minimum pulse on DJI, as you'd expect.
For MK 2.0.... Since firmware is closed sores....
You could try analyzing it and find the 'below pulse' check and fix it...
i.e. in 1.2 they had an ugly piece like this
Code:
sollwert = (int) MIN_PWM + ((MAX_PWM - MIN_PWM) * (ppm - MIN_PPM)) / (190 - MIN_PPM);
But they used 8bit throttle values in 1.2, I think on 2.0/168 they switched to 16bit timer... so... It's probably in some other place. their main() couldn't be much different on closed-sores 2.0 vs 1.2... but I'm too lazy to decompile it and look for the stuff. No incentive especially since ESC32 is way better than MK-BL anyway.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:41 AM
RTF copters maker
South France
Joined Jan 2008
1,185 Posts

It tooks more than half an hour for taking the first 2 yellow LED blinking (GPS ok) but the next one was ok in few seconds...

It also slightly woobled even with very low ATTI gain but all was ok when I had the second 5000mAh Lipo as ballast...

Of course the best flight (hexa hovering 2m above me in fix GPS was not taken....camera "off" !!!

WOOKONG BY NIGHT (0 min 59 sec)
maximus-rc is offline Find More Posts by maximus-rc
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:22 AM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,185 Posts
topgearuk
It is a highly modified RC Carbon Med mount it is still not perfect but I think its as good as the mount can be. Its alot of work to rebuild totally and more money but I just wanted to see if I could make it better.

Michael64
Michael64 is online now Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:30 AM
EC-135 Driver
United States, IA, Burlington
Joined Nov 2006
1,131 Posts
Had a chance to test fly outdoors today.

Turned my gains down to 90% and that settled down the twitchy a bit more. (this is a Flame Wheel 450 so light and small anyway...I'm getting some motor and prop vibe too)

Had a 'scary' moment though...hovering in GPS mode and it started a fairly rapid climb on it's own. I flipped to ATTI mode and took over control again and brought it back.

After I landed the LED was flashing blue...steady rapid flash.

Looking in the manual I don't see a 'code' for steady rapid blue flash.

Any of you guys know what that means? Or seen it before?

Otherwise I'm really impressed with how easily this is coming together already.
500Driver is offline Find More Posts by 500Driver
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500Driver View Post

Turned my gains down to 90% and that settled down the twitchy a bit more. (this is a Flame Wheel 450 so light and small anyway...I'm getting some motor and prop vibe too)

Had a 'scary' moment though...hovering in GPS mode and it started a fairly rapid climb on it's own. I flipped to ATTI mode and took over control again and brought it back.

Rapid blue actually mean you had a signal loss between RX TX. And it seems like your bird went to fail safe. The reason though is strange because you switched into GPS it shouldnt happen. That you had a complete signal loss also makes no sense since you could switch back to atti mode. IN any case somehow the rapid climb can only be explained by your bird starting the failsafe routine.

Take your props off and play around with your with your flight modes and look if you can cause the same issue again.

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
likely the climb got him back into range
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Dec 2011
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500Driver View Post

how high were you when it started climbing? when it goes to fail safe it will go to 20 meters then come back home it is just a precaution to make sure it will not hit anything on the way back home but it still can if something is higher than that.
Uavrotorking.com is offline Find More Posts by Uavrotorking.com
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,960 Posts
on a related note if you are smart enough to program your TX giving all functionality available (manual, atti, gps and RTL) you will notice that once failsafe is entered it will not give you control back when you go back to GPS position hold.

you will have to manually go back into gps mode.

this is likely what happened to 500 as his machine went into failsafe.... it climbed... he likely got RC back because of altitude... but it did not give him control back... becuase he was in GPS mode.... when it went into atti it gave him control back.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:54 PM
EC-135 Driver
Joined Nov 2006
1,131 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I was in my backyard hovering about 10 feet off the ground. This was my first outdoor flight with it. I was standing behind it 15 to 20 feet.

Rx is an AR-7000 / Tx is a DX7

That was my initial thought too when it started climbing was it was going into fail-safe.

Would a GPS signal loss cause that kind of behavior? (I was in GPS mode when it happened)

Oh, and it only climbed to 15-20 feet before I switched back to ATTI mode and took over.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:59 PM
EC-135 Driver
Joined Nov 2006
1,131 Posts
Steve,

Looks we posted at the same time.

What you described sounds like what happened...as it was climbing (prior to me flipping the switch to ATTI) I do not think I had control.

As soon as I switched to ATTI though I had control instantly.

It was such a small climb though...maybe 10 feet higher than it was. I've never lost signal with the Spektrum before but maybe it happened? I have the satellite RX out on one of the quad arms and the main Rx is on the bottom tray with the antenna facing out.

I'll relocate the main Rx and maybe even try my AR6100 Rx.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:11 PM
Danvers Mass
Joined Apr 2005
119 Posts
This happened to me also.
Jerry

I had gone out for lunch and came back to check on the software version and found the settings off just a click, and then I looked at the net and found that you, RTRyder was right on. I may have inadvertently change the settings because I have been working on the camera mount and tilt and shutter control settings on the transmitter. But I can tell you this that I would have never and have not yet tried the come home function, having been mainly using it in my small yard and would never think of trying to come home mode. But I can tell you this unit is amazing I had a little helicopter pad about a foot square, that I launched from and when it took off up would I got real nervous thinking that I would not get it back and it was on its own. But it landed amazingly about a foot away from the takeoff point so I guess the come home function works real well, but again I would never have tried it in my little yard.
k1dfd is offline Find More Posts by k1dfd