SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:20 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,010 Posts
thanks for responses. I have decided to dismantle and put the DJI on the x650V again and play around with that.. I am not sure what is causing the problem, maybe an esc ? . I have a spare TX so will change that around too. I did try normal arming mode and nothing happended also. very strange..
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
348 Posts
I got a bad crash today on my new frame. Lost 3 props, 3 arms and 4 motors ( they got clicking noise after the crash) and posibly GPS modul.

DJI WKM, firmware 4.2 on a Hexa, 6 pulsso 2814/20; APC 12x3.8, 30A Mystery Esc,4s 5000, FPV cam + video Tx
I did a test fly yesterday without gimbal and landing gear, all went perfect. I went though 7 packs on it.

Today I installed the landing gear and AV200, a second video TX, took it out and crash on second take off. Here 's what happened:

1.I took it of in GPS mode ( full lock, 1 purple light). Hovered for about a minute, it was solid. Slow flying around, I noticed 2 white flashes, ignored as I ve seen them before on the old frame, flew for another 30 secs and landed. Gimbal was visibly working at this point on both roll and pitch.

2. Took off the second time to about 3 meter above the ground. Immidiately it start flying all over the place and very unresponsive to my stick input, then crashed.

Possibly the second Vtx which I put ontop of the gimbal and right underneath the IMU caused some interference? The 1st Vtx for FPV is on an arm and is 10cm away from the IMU.

After the crash, I dont get a lock anymore eventhough the GPS disc didnot take any direct hit. It got knocked off the pole which was mounted by some adhesive tape. Is there anyway to check if it is still getting or sending signal? Anyone get their GPS working again after a crash?

I ve also noticed for the first time that my IMU has a green flashing led inside the cover. Anyone with a working DJI can confirm that the IMU greenlight flash 9 times with a 3 seconds interval? ( you need to turn all other light off to see it as the green light is flashing inside the IMU case)

Lastly anyone had experience with DJI 's service? Do they offer to test and repair your unit? Can I buy the just the GPS module alone?
Can WKM fly in atti mode without the gps?
Thanks guys
flashervn is offline Find More Posts by flashervn
Last edited by flashervn; Dec 04, 2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2007
58 Posts
Having spent some time being fortunate to configure and test a wookong multi for a friend of mine I have to say that the out of the box performance is about the best I've seen.
My last Autopilot used to do whatever it wanted...
Name: Multicopter.jpg
Views: 284
Size: 30.9 KB
Description:
freethy is offline Find More Posts by freethy
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashervn View Post
Can WKM fly in atti mode without the gps?
Should be able to. For some unknown reason they're not using mag in atti mode (so no yaw/heading hold), so it *should* be flyable without GPS module connected.
When I had it on my desk testing, i saw motor outputs move even without GPS connected. I'd recommend taking the remaining non-broken props off before testing this though
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Should be able to. For some unknown reason they're not using mag in atti mode (so no yaw/heading hold), so it *should* be flyable without GPS module connected.
When I had it on my desk testing, i saw motor outputs move even without GPS connected. I'd recommend taking the remaining non-broken props off before testing this though
Thanks TC.Props are off. New set of 10x4.7 are on now cause I ran out of 12x3.8s.
Hmm, one more thing I should mention is that I had the IMU on the bottom plate and the top half of it prodtrude through the hole on the second plate. Not sure it affected the flight characteristic cause I had it fly just fine during the maiden flight.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:05 AM
United States, CT, Broad Brook
Joined Jul 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
I totally screwed up my camera exposure and focus, but here is some practice flying from yesterday. Trying to get a series of rehearsed camera motions together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp585f9TqrU&sns=em
Wow, nice smooth flight. I'd say the gimbal passed the test!
ScottPhoto is offline Find More Posts by ScottPhoto
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I don't think that matters as long as you entered close enough offsets from CG in the X/Y/Z distances for IMU position. Though I'm not sure how much of a difference a couple cm error can cause. When I was on phone with DJI about getting white flashes, I was told to hard-tie the IMU to the frame - I had it velcro'd and it was getting white flashes, I was told to run a ziptie across it to make sure it doesn't move at all and that fixed white blinks. And yes, green led does blink or light inside the IMU but I forgot how many times - I do remember there was some kinda internal led.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
348 Posts
Alright. So the green led doesnt mean that my IMU is giving out some sort of error code. I think my CG measurement was ok when it had no load attached but I think I didnt enter anything different after putting the gimbal and stuff on. Do you ever heard of Video Tx creating problem for flight controls?
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:13 AM
United States, CT, Broad Brook
Joined Jul 2011
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyphoto View Post
ScottPhoto, Yank that HDMI converter out of the case, and lose about 150 grams in weight. Just get some 3" shrink wrap to protect it.

http://www.aplanding.com/forums/show...7&postcount=13

-Andrew
Yeah, I should do that. Where can I get some decent heavy duty shrink wrap?
ScottPhoto is offline Find More Posts by ScottPhoto
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:33 AM
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
I totally screwed up my camera exposure and focus, but here is some practice flying from yesterday. Trying to get a series of rehearsed camera motions together.
That's very nice. You have some very fluid movement there. Was that with an AV130 and GH2? Did you do much stabilization in post?
keith.uk is offline Find More Posts by keith.uk
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:50 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethy View Post
Having spent some time being fortunate to configure and test a wookong multi for a friend of mine I have to say that the out of the box performance is about the best I've seen.
My last Autopilot used to do whatever it wanted...
Attachment 4462467

Please! post a Video i would love to watch it….
exopackshiu is offline Find More Posts by exopackshiu
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:52 PM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Oct 2009
56 Posts
TimeCop....thanks for your advice. One last question, which OSD do you recommend that works well with the DJI M. I want to get it right the first time.

Doug
VonDougage is offline Find More Posts by VonDougage
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:24 PM
Trying to understand something
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashervn View Post
Alright. So the green led doesnt mean that my IMU is giving out some sort of error code. I think my CG measurement was ok when it had no load attached but I think I didnt enter anything different after putting the gimbal and stuff on. Do you ever heard of Video Tx creating problem for flight controls?
Yes, I have heard about that and the distance fron VTX has to be as much as possible, even when the frequencies are not in the same band. I am almost sure this was the cause of your crash. I am sorry about it.
jovito is offline Find More Posts by jovito
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:34 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,034 Posts
CineStar 6 at the Sheep Pasture

Sheep Pasture.mts (2 min 31 sec)

CineStar 6 frame, DJI Wookong-M flight controller, AXI 2814-22 motors, Graupner props, PhotoHigher AV130 camera mount, Sony NEX 5N camera

Recorded in Easton, Massachusetts 12-4-2011
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:45 PM
USA, CA, Pollock Pines
Joined Jan 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_BmNcz264

CineStar 6 frame, DJI Wookong-M flight controller, AXI 2814-22 motors, Graupner props, PhotoHigher AV130 camera mount, Sony NEX 5N camera

Recorded in Easton, Massachusetts 12-4-2011
Really nice vid, great scenery, nice background soundtrack. I've used the same one for my nature fly through vids also, adds that nice relaxed feeling to the video.

-Don
bendicks is offline Find More Posts by bendicks