5,082 Posts
Yup it does Octo, where do I sign up.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:39 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
looks like with octo, you will not have provision for pan/tilt mechanism (cuz octo usually means AP).

wow, i was seriously thinking about getting an mk nav system for my afr0... now DJI may be dropping the bomb on the competition. given that their stabilization code is maturing, this is going to be a tough decision.
chris24g is online now Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
No future with MK, don't bother. This will murder it.
Or you can use MK-FC to stabilize your camera, lol. That's about the only thing it might do properly.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:22 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Apr 2006
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Putting all this crap together with a mess of homemade wires and PCB standoffs = Priceless
yeah i always thought it looked like a clumsy old diy computer with floppy drive ribbon cables and jumper wires
chris24g is online now Find More Posts by chris24g
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:40 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
The future looks bright and more affordable.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:20 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post
looks like with octo, you will not have provision for pan/tilt mechanism (cuz octo usually means AP).

wow, i was seriously thinking about getting an mk nav system for my afr0... now DJI may be dropping the bomb on the competition. given that their stabilization code is maturing, this is going to be a tough decision.
It is a potential problem that they should address. This really needs to be at least a 10 channel output system. Although there are 3-axis fully self-stabilized mounts out there to handle this sort of shortcoming, and I just happen to sell one.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:27 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,032 Posts
to each there own

I do not share the hostile view towards mk
does the bundle of wires some refer to the short flat cables between the boards or the single data bus to the distribution board?

This new design has plastic cases (more weight) and wires to each separate esc , to the separate imu and gps, (led)
And it needs a wire for each separate channel from the receiver.

Also the cost "advantage" did not include the additional cost of the motors props ect

Then there is no way to know for sure if the unit shown in the clips was not flown by a person outside the view of the camera and if it was using there own design (in theory they could have used mk hardware)

I would also like to know how this system compensates for the differences in esc and motor/ prop setups or if the user has to fine tune it. (like with (for example) the mk)

So until there are several units "in the field" all outperforming the other options this is just marketing.

If this new system does provide the best performance for the money i will sure buy it but for now it still is unproven.

cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:43 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24g View Post

Look again,

Rotor #7 F1 and rotor # 8 F2 are alternatively used for remote gain tuning of camera gimbal roll and pitch.
Gimbal pitch is connected to X3.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:47 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,032 Posts
that limits to a hex config

Only up to hex setup you have access to the outputs used for pan and tilt.
These outputs are taken by the esc for the octo config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
Look again,

Rotor #7 F1 and rotor # 8 F2 are alternatively used for remote gain tuning of camera gimbal roll and pitch.
Gimbal pitch is connected to X3.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:16 AM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
Only up to hex setup you have access to the outputs used for pan and tilt.
These outputs are taken by the esc for the octo config.
In a hexa setup they are not outputs, but inputs, for tuning the camera gimbal in flight.
In an octo setup you still have gimbal pitch contol but you'll have to tune it before flight.

Who would want manual roll control on the gimbal anyway?
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,919 Posts
we know nothing about the hardware,and nobody fly with it..
so we should stop to say that it s better than mk
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:39 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titeuf007 View Post
ALL he is saying is that the FC looks better than MK. Has nothing to do with hardware as he is not commenting on the hardware.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:56 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsteed View Post
I know there are shops that are MK RTF but the you are talking over $10,000 for fully functional Octo system. If someone was to come out with a system half that price with the same capabilities...
All I'm waiting for is the electronics and I will have this system ready for WAY WAY WAY less than 10k.

Full 3-axis pano 5D mount
Last edited by Sid3ways; Aug 12, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titeuf007 View Post
I know nothing about the DJI wookong, but I do know about the DJI Ace one, that's the one for helicopter, the hardware is solid, the software is good, the manual is in English, the technical support is awesome. We had a problem where the usb connector inside the unit was broken, got a replacement within the week by Fedex from China. No way H&I will do that if you have problem with your board, they will just say thought luck you suck at soldering. Damn, need to save some money from now, I want DJI wookong-m for sure
ddmt is online now Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,492 Posts
Sign me up!

When will this system be ready to ship to customers? Will Y6 and X8 configurations be supported?
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Last edited by milo12; Aug 13, 2011 at 06:18 PM.