Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:21 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Why would you even consider using some weird "hyperion" $50/ea esc when it has been proven many times that $12 turnigy plush works?
I have had a lot of experience using Hyperion motors and ESCs, over the years, and the bottom line is I trust the quality. Your smarta$$ comments notwithstanding, I don't have that same sort of confidence in a lot of the crap that I've seen come out of HobbyKing/HobbyCity. I've been into electricRC helicopters since about 2003, so I am not talking out my a$$, like you seem to be prone to do, time and time again.

The unit I'm trying to put together will be a working platform that will eventually carry a fairly expensive camera. Why on earth would I want to trust this to a $12 ESC?

DJI has positioned this unit towards the professional side of the market, and have priced it accordingly. It seems reasonable, to me, that they should have it work with other higher quality equipments. If nothing else, I would at least like to see a list of what ESCs will work.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
345 Posts
Try the ZTW 50 AMP ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I have had a lot of experience using Hyperion motors and ESCs, over the years, and the bottom line is I trust the quality. Your smarta$$ comments notwithstanding, I don't have that same sort of confidence in a lot of the crap that I've seen come out of HobbyKing/HobbyCity. I've been into electricRC helicopters since about 2003, so I am not talking out my a$$, like you seem to be prone to do, time and time again.

The unit I'm trying to put together will be a working platform that will eventually carry a fairly expensive camera. Why on earth would I want to trust this to a $12 ESC?

DJI has positioned this unit towards the professional side of the market, and have priced it accordingly. It seems reasonable, to me, that they should have it work with other higher quality equipments. If nothing else, I would at least like to see a list of what ESCs will work.

-- Gary
roypwee is offline Find More Posts by roypwee
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
not surprised.........
United Kingdom, Alford
Joined Jan 2005
90 Posts
Quote:

-- Gary
Sorry to say this BUT YOU Gave timecop the ammo to provide what You see as a "smart-ass" comment, you left yourself wide open.

Why not trust a $12.00 item ? it obviously works (as many many users can attest to) and from your to post to the contrary about inexpensive items, it would make others think you are a bigoted snob.

Some of the cheapest items in the world can be the best, (and the worst too)

I have a Chinese, automotive chisels,drifts & punch set i bought for about $10.00 30 years ago, I thought when I bought them, they would be Sh**, (my first lesson on not thinking like you are) but to this day they have worked flawlessly, now if I could say the same about my (TOO) expensive American made "snap-on" (or maybe that should be Snap-OFF) tools, I would be very happy.

So it may be prudent to not have such a blinkered view on such things, don't judge a book by its cover so to speak.

R/C since 03 your just a babe in the woods.

Try fighting the first futaba mechanical gyro's, in fixed pitch heli's such as the MFA sport 500 in the mid 80's

Try buying your first ever (2ch WOW such sophistication) Transmitter in kit form in the late 70's and having to solder it all together with little to no instructions.... after getting fed up getting dizzy with my control line plane !!!

when compared with my 9c now ....

And having to fight the hidious 80's Afro perm outta my eyes then too
( I BURNED all those pictures thank god)

Some of you guys don't know your born with the level of electronic assistance available now.......
CaLviNx is offline Find More Posts by CaLviNx
Last edited by CaLviNx; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:13 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLviNx View Post
fixed pitch heli's such as the MFA sport 500 in the mid 80's
OMG I had one of them!! Forgot all about that, big Meccano set.

Quote:
Try fighting the first futaba mechanical gyro's,
I've still got one of them if anybody wants ago! Lol

Quote:
And having to fight the hidious 80's Afro perm outta my eyes then too
Never had one of them! Lol

Quote:
Some of you guys don't know your born with the level of electronic assistance available now.......
++1
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:10 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Apr 2011
104 Posts
PMU help please

OK I thought time to install the PMU, connected everything up and triple checked wiring but I have a PMT-ERR in the config software and the LED blinks red constantly. I pulled back the rubber cover on the lead going into the MC and found two of the wires were not clipped into the black plastic plug and would pop out when connected...thought that was the problem but still get PMU-ERR. The only thing I have not done is cut (remove) the red wires from the ESCs but I thought that this was not necessary. It also states in the manual "WKM can still get power from 3-pin servo ports if the PW port does not function well" but how can it if the red wires are cut? or does it get power from somewhere else?
I get a green light from the PMU so I'm assuming it's functioning?
Yammysho is online now Find More Posts by Yammysho
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:30 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
wow I had one of those planes, exactly the same, wish I still had it, I threw it away as the glow fuel had buggered the plastic body and made it go all brittle
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
For Info,
new German Wookong Forum:
http://www.wookong-multi-rotor.de
Picasso1 is offline Find More Posts by Picasso1
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:44 AM
Joined Dec 2010
76 Posts
Quote:

-- Gary
Sure, they could have provide a list of ESCs that works but it is very hard without testing each one. (You can also check various other sites on the net for working ESC:s)
What you need to understand that there are very few ESC:s made for multirotors (if any), So what you normally buy is ESC:s made for totally other purposes and hope they work. That's why the "cheap" ones normally works very well, they have simple software that can be used outside it's normal specifications. Many expensive ones can not because they might even have software protection from going outside the spec!
Malx is offline Find More Posts by Malx
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:42 AM
Discipulus est prioris posteri
Joined Jun 2011
346 Posts
This morning, I upgraded the assistant and the firmware...
I rentered the values and remade a complete tx calibration....
I also checked that the 3 way switch to control that GPS/A/M mode was working...
The monitor voltage still not acept a loss value greater than 0,1 ... strange
I recalibrated the compass...
BUT
first try, I took off in GPS mode (I had the 7 sats) ... the quad was cyrcling around the take off point within 2 meters... I had never seen this before.
After that, I tried to flight sraight.... the quad got an left angle ar 20%
CRASH
I rechecked all again and tried again... Took off... the quad was not keeping it's position...
tried to flight straight again and tried to maintain the position... the quad was still going forward... I was in GPS mode but it was like I was in Manuel mode.
CRASH
I rechecked everything again and checked that all the gain were at 100%...
Took off again and tried to fligh again... then again, the quad took an angle at 20% and crashed... this time one arm was destroyed....

Everything was working very well before this upgrade... what can be the problem ?
protowax is offline Find More Posts by protowax
Last edited by protowax; Oct 22, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:43 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protowax View Post
This morning, I upgraded the assistant and the firmware...
I rentered the values and remade a complete tx calibration....
was still going forward... I was in GPS mode but it was like I was in Manuel mode.
CRASH

Everything was working very well before this upgrade... what can be the problem ?
Every time after firmware and software update; click on "default" value whenever it shows; click "write", then reenter the old values click "write" again. Old values might no always give you the same performance but should not cause you the crash. But, sorry to hear.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:45 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
I will say that GaryG knows a lot about R/C and other things. If you only knew his resume.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:36 AM
not surprised.........
United Kingdom, Alford
Joined Jan 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
If you only knew his resume.

I have found in the world of business, that many many times those with great resumes, phd's mba's and such like, can talk a good job... and HR departments love them....

but put them in the "hot seat" they couldnt engineer to find their private parts in the dark with a map, gps and a spare pair of hands, we then go back and ask HR w.*.* are you doing sending us this guy, and the reply is "if only you knew his resume"

We once had a "amazing engineer" who could recite every bit of paper he had ever read, photographic memory. But ask him to go and show us how he wanted a explosive seismic gun string hung from the tool for the requested perforation, he could explain what the blast pattern would be, but just couldn't put the guns together in an sort of order that would operate safely, it got to a point where we would hide the explosives keys if he was on shift, and daily life tasks were a chore for him he was just "too clever" to operate on a normal level.

Please note im generalizing and not slurring Garry in anyway only explaining that a good resume means nothing in the real world.
CaLviNx is offline Find More Posts by CaLviNx
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Just a bit of fun earlier on today... My quad doing a short aerial video of my cousins newly brought car... Not ideal conditions as been very windy 16mph guesting 24-28mph.. But wanted to get an idea so will refine and have another go on a less windy day.

Unedited and raw from the camera

Caterham Car Classic, Aerial filming from a quad coppter 1st attempt (0 min 31 sec)
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,244 Posts
Caterham makes great Super 7's. I would love to have one. However, they are pretty expensive for a kit car in the states.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:38 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,372 Posts
For those of you that are tired of seeing off post blathering, there is an ignore user list. Sign in and go to MyRcGroups and choose edit ignore list. Type in a name and you no longer will see that users posting.

I hate to have to post this but this forum is so poorly moderated and full of BS that I have to use the ignore list.

I am active on many forums and RCGroups is the only forum where I have to resort to using an ignore list. sigh.

And if you don't like this please add me to your ignore list and keep your comments to yourself.

This is not a response to the post above this.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12