Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebandre View Post
Since they are counter rotating, the bottom one has more umpf regardless of the fact that the air is pushed down already.
What a contradiction in terms, or posts, or whatever.
I'm done. Jack defeated me.
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
19 power modules arrived for existing customers and I'm shipping them out. The other power modules for rest of existing customers enroute.

Shipping in the order they were bought.

All new WK-M's obviously come standard with power module.
UAVProducts is online now Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
19 power modules arrived for existing customers and I'm shipping them out. The other power modules for rest of existing customers enroute.

Robert is your shipment deans or XT60?
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, MA, Marlboro
Joined Nov 2004
65 Posts
Yeah, rub it in, Tony!!!

I know Robert will get these to us fast as he can. I just want to set it up already.

I see yours has black tubes / rods of some sort for the GPS. Mine were metal threaded rods. How do yours attach? Are they threaded?

Joel
Joel Rosenzweig is offline Find More Posts by Joel Rosenzweig
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redridinghood View Post
Robert is your shipment deans or XT60?
Deans.

Getting a pic. hang on.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:42 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2011
213 Posts
Quote:

Any chance of finding out how far down the list I am? Thanks
chevota is offline Find More Posts by chevota
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Deans
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota View Post
Any chance of finding out how far down the list I am? Thanks
Sure, I'm working on it right now and customers will get emails.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2011
213 Posts
Quote:
Sure, I'm working on it right now and customers will get emails.
Great! Thank you!
chevota is offline Find More Posts by chevota
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
United States, MA, Marlboro
Joined Nov 2004
65 Posts
ATTI vs GPS hold

I had spent all of my tuning time so far trying to get GPS hold to operate flawlessly. I had such a great experience with the WK-S holding my helicopter in one spot, I was expecting the same thing with the multirotor. My success with the GPS holding the position has been mixed. Sometimes, it holds the position and there appears to be just the slightest movement. Other times, the aircraft just circles and circles. If I move the sticks, I can calm it down, and then it settles in. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it stop circling on its own.

I stopped playing with GPS hold for a few moments and decided to try ATTI mode by itself, sans GPS. That was pretty fantastic. It has all the self levelling prowess of the GPS/ATTI combo mode, and when you let go of the sticks, it settles out, level, and momentum or wind just carries it. Because it's not using the GPS to tell it where to go, there's no circling. It just stays smooth. The smoothness was quite impressive. I'm ready for my FPV flights now. The whole idea was to fly around in manual mode, and then enable GPS/ATTI if necessary if I got disoriented, or when I was going to take my eyes off the monitor so I could land. It's ready for that now, with the exclusion of a really good locked in GPS hold. I expect I'll learn more about how to tune this properly over time. I just don't know what to adjust right now.

Once Robert posts his working, tuned, setup with a large Hexa, I'll be building another FPV machine around a larger Hexa frame.

Joel
Joel Rosenzweig is offline Find More Posts by Joel Rosenzweig
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Rosenzweig View Post
Yeah, rub it in, Tony!!!

I know Robert will get these to us fast as he can. I just want to set it up already.

I see yours has black tubes / rods of some sort for the GPS. Mine were metal threaded rods. How do yours attach? Are they threaded?

Joel
Mine are lightweight aluminum but not threaded. They just fit tight.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Mine are lightweight aluminum but not threaded. They just fit tight.
Mine were CF, and there was some kinda attempt at threading in the metal top/bottom mounts.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Rosenzweig View Post
I had spent all of my tuning time so far trying to get GPS hold to operate flawlessly. I had such a great experience with the WK-S holding my helicopter in one spot, I was expecting the same thing with the multirotor. My success with the GPS holding the position has been mixed. Sometimes, it holds the position and there appears to be just the slightest movement. Other times, the aircraft just circles and circles. If I move the sticks, I can calm it down, and then it settles in. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it stop circling on its own.

I stopped playing with GPS hold for a few moments and decided to try ATTI mode by itself, sans GPS. That was pretty fantastic. It has all the self levelling prowess of the GPS/ATTI combo mode, and when you let go of the sticks, it settles out, level, and momentum or wind just carries it. Because it's not using the GPS to tell it where to go, there's no circling. It just stays smooth. The smoothness was quite impressive. I'm ready for my FPV flights now. The whole idea was to fly around in manual mode, and then enable GPS/ATTI if necessary if I got disoriented, or when I was going to take my eyes off the monitor so I could land. It's ready for that now, with the exclusion of a really good locked in GPS hold. I expect I'll learn more about how to tune this properly over time. I just don't know what to adjust right now.

Once Robert posts his working, tuned, setup with a large Hexa, I'll be building another FPV machine around a larger Hexa frame.

Joel
That's pretty much the same experience I'm having. Robert helped me with a few IMU position numbers that helped slow the circling a bit, but it's still there. But for all practical purposes, my intent is to only use GPS occasionally for letting go of the sticks (for looking at my video base station or things around me, etc.) But Atti seems to work the same just fine, and if flies so nice in Atti mode anyway.

I do hope things get better though with GPS hold. Nice to know your scale unit works well, since I still plan to get that for my heli. But I want to get my Hex project operational first.
llbr22 is online now Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Discipulus est prioris posteri
Joined Jun 2011
346 Posts
In advance parameters, I tried 130% for both I damping.... it is windy and it gave very good results...
pitch 130 roll 130 yaw 100 vertical 200 .... atti gain 80
protowax is offline Find More Posts by protowax
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebandre View Post
I have always though that the bottom prop, regardless whether in a coaxial or non coaxial setup, would have to have higher pitch or at least larger diameter even though it counter spun (or not) the top one, but someone recently posted, very recently (and i hate i can't find the post to quote it, i already attacked Jack and vice versa) some very sense making simple phisics about counter rotating props.
Since they are counter rotating, the bottom one has more umpf regardless of the fact that the air is pushed down already.

In my defence, por favor pardonnez moi for any inaccuracies of expression, it's Friday night after a long and tedious slaving week.

The only thing I can think of is that the top motor can be just a bit more inefficient as it push air which will hit the arm, counter the thrust made. The wider the arm is the more inefficient. I have seen several frame manufacturers using very wide arms and on top of that they are squared. An arm as a round tube is better for the wind as it is more streamlined compared to a square tube. The problem with a square arm is that the wind blowing hard from the prop hits this surface and can, I dont say it will, but it can induce vibrations. For every revolution of the motor a single blade passes over the arm twice smashing air to the arm. Also, it disturbs the airflow for the motor/prop below in a coax making it less efficient than with a round tube.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Sep 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM.