HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaysianFlyer View Post
I have never gotten to the point of figuring out for sure if it was better to have a higher kV on the lower motor, or use a larger higher pitched prop like they do on fixed wing counter rotating setups. Any idea if the Wookong can support different speeds if the motors are the same?
Not on anything with > 8 real motors.
You can do a custom mixer for say a Y6/X4 to decrease/increase throttle influence on bottom motors
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:33 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Joel, you are taking this out of context ... look at the time stamp of posts Frank and I made in the last 48 hours.
I have no idea what John's quote mean ... checking with DJI Reps. While I have stated more than once PPM will not be available.
Frank and I "might" consider other options ... not PPM as it is old and won't work with Fail-Safe.
To be fair to DJI, I remember back when JR/Futaba all went PCM and only Multiplex insisted on staying on PPM as they claimed it was faster and better. Yet today you don't see people using PPM systems anymore except PPM streams output at the receiver. There is probably some reason behind it, like better/easier integration with the DJI firmware/software or something. Possibly easier expansion in the future on s-bus could be a reason?

Lets wait and see what they come up with.
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:36 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Not on anything with > 8 real motors.
You can do a custom mixer for say a Y6/X4 to decrease/increase throttle influence on bottom motors
Thanks, thats good to know
MalaysianFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MalaysianFlyer
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
333 Posts
Guys, very much off topic but if I know elsewhere to ask I would have had. Again, I beg your pardon.
Anyone hobby shop owner from Bangkok willing to help me building a hexa for AP with the DJI WKM? I am from Hanoi Vietnam, no (ZERO) number of hobbyshop here. I ll be in BKK from 2 to 7 Oct on a business trip and looking to bring home a full built set. PM me if interested. Many thanks

Minh
flashervn is offline Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:09 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad master View Post
i got two frames from them they are poor the first time the second was ok
The frames that QM and Robert received from RC-Carbon are of the new build process (which started last week). I will gladly post pictures up of the new product. The build quality on these brand new frames have gone up to rival DW stuff. We will also be offering a fully IMU stabilized 3-Axis mount next week.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:59 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus-rc View Post
It is why kv of upper and lower motors must be different
The air from the top motor/prop is accelerated at high speed downwards.
To get a better thrust from the motor below it needs a higher pitched prop.
In real aviation when speed increases we use higher pitched props not more rpm, to be as efficient as possible. Also we have variable pitch props, low pitch for take off and higher pitch for higher (cruising) speed when a higher air speed is blowing towards the prop.

So using a higher pitched prop would be more efficient than more rpm.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Sep 23, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:23 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,846 Posts
I can promise I would not sell any products that were not 100% quality. I would throw them in the garbage if the frames were poor like those pics shown earlier. That is just wrong. Were those bought direct or thru a dealer? Either way, that is unacceptable. The frames I received are very nice. I can understand the frustration on that.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
New WooKong Multi Rotor Product Release Notes from today 23 Sep 2011:

http://www.dji-innovations.com/en/fi...e_notes_en.pdf
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:33 AM
Design and fly
IL
Joined Dec 2008
240 Posts
This is totally correct but not required unless you are really stepping up the payload. (the flow disturbance isn't worth the KV or prop off set unless you are using the full lift.)

One of our units for example uses 30 size "OS" electric motors just released 2 months ago running in stacked orientation. A APC12X6E on top and then a APC12X8EP on the bottom. This is on once side with the motor rotation switched on the other end of the tube.

This gives you a "0" P factor in coaxial on both sides plus eliminates the Torque or P factor from end to end of the tube by counter rotating the upper and lower motors at the same time. You end up with a single tube with stacked motor's running at 100% without any P factor at all moving the tube.

John
skycam4 is offline Find More Posts by skycam4
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycam4 View Post
This is totally correct but not required unless you are really stepping up the payload. (the flow disturbance isn't worth the KV or prop off set unless you are using the full lift.)

One of our units for example uses 30 size "OS" electric motors just released 2 months ago running in stacked orientation. A APC12X6E on top and then a APC12X8EP on the bottom. This is on once side with the motor rotation switched on the other end of the tube.

This gives you a "0" P factor in coaxial on both sides plus eliminates the Torque or P factor from end to end of the tube by counter rotating the upper and lower motors at the same time. You end up with a single tube with stacked motor's running at 100% without any P factor at all moving the tube.

John

Exactly, the goal isn't necesseray to achive the highest possible load/thrust but to be as efficient as possible, to achive that non -torque force resulting in a neutral balanced craft which is important for having a well behaved multi.

Is that OS motor from the OS Engines glow engines?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:16 AM
United States, MA, Marlboro
Joined Nov 2004
65 Posts
Power bus?

Robert,

Are you shipping the power bus module yet? If not, when?

Joel
Joel Rosenzweig is offline Find More Posts by Joel Rosenzweig
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:54 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
its pretty clear to most here you are new to the multirotor scene but yet your posts seem to suggest different. If you were not new to the scene you would already know that there has always been cosmetic issues and more with Carbon frames:
How true
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Design and fly
IL
Joined Dec 2008
240 Posts
Quote:
Is that OS motor from the OS Engines glow engines?
Yes. Two months ago OS released a line of electric motors through Great Planes. Incredible motors!!

25 size OSMG9525
30 size OSMG9530
40 size OSMG9540
50 size OSMG9550

We also use the Rimfire 25 and 32's with great results but with OS as the brand name you can't get much better.

John
skycam4 is offline Find More Posts by skycam4
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:16 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jul 2006
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
The air from the top motor/prop is accelerated at high speed downwards.
To get a better thrust from the motor below it needs a higher pitched prop.
In real aviation when speed increases we use higher pitched props not more rpm, to be as efficient as possible. Also we have variable pitch props, low pitch for take off and higher pitch for higher (cruising) speed when a higher air speed is blowing towards the prop.

So using a higher pitched prop would be more efficient than more rpm.
I have always though that the bottom prop, regardless whether in a coaxial or non coaxial setup, would have to have higher pitch or at least larger diameter even though it counter spun (or not) the top one, but someone recently posted, very recently (and i hate i can't find the post to quote it, i already attacked Jack and vice versa) some very sense making simple phisics about counter rotating props.
Since they are counter rotating, the bottom one has more umpf regardless of the fact that the air is pushed down already.

In my defence, por favor pardonnez moi for any inaccuracies of expression, it's Friday night after a long and tedious slaving week.
andrebandre is offline Find More Posts by andrebandre
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:17 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,071 Posts
The postman just dropped off my Wookong-M *w/Power Module*. I ordered from RC Hobby Helicopter on Wed and it was shipped Priority Mail the same day. I received it in 2 days and it came with the Power Module. I hope to have it flying this weekend in a temp frame untill next month when John releases his big Quad. Here are some pics so you can see what the power module looks like.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor