HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:56 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
558 Posts
I got no response to this posting I made yesterday. I see that DJI monitors this thread. I would really hope they or another user might have some ideas or suggestions for me:

I decided to switch transmitters on one of our S800s. ...After swapping out the receivers everything was fine. I had just set up the Failsafe and had adjusted the servo settings for the Z15. After doing a power cycle the red LED on the Master Control (MC) remained off and I could not get the Assistant software to recognize the WKM. The PMU still had its little green LED on and the receivers had their blue lights on indicating they were bound and functioning.

I checked all connections and finally decided to just swap out the whole WKM for one from another S800 because I wanted to tune the new system and figured I'd take time to troubleshoot later.

After laboriously removing all those little screws I replaced all the WKM components and powered up again. This time I saw the red LED on the MC light up BUT as I watched it flickered and then went out. So now I have two non-functioning WKM systems.

These are all stock DJI components (except for the Airtronics receivers) powered by a Turnigy 8000mah 6S battery. Obviously, I'm hesitant to move forward until I find out what is happening. Seems that either the MCs are being fried or possibly the PMUs (but they do have their green LED still functioning).

I would be most grateful for any suggestions or ideas as to how to troubleshoot this because I sure don't want to run into this again. Any ideas are appreciated and valued.
vislaw is offline Find More Posts by vislaw
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:54 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
421 Posts
WKM won't acquire satellites - after 20 mins???

So all systems check, power up. Suddenly no iOSD? power up again, still no iOSD and sounded like all motors initialized twice. Power up again still no iOSD but all motors sang in tune. Left it powered for 10 minutes, what was that? Only 1 red flash! hey we are getting somewhere! Then back to 2 red... crap. Without iOSD I don't know how many satellites its locked in. Power up again and M6 is lazy again.... all the while everything else is working properly, ie: Z15, VTX etc. I had video on screen the whole time just no iOSD info. At this point it's been powered on the ground without moving for over 25 minutes and going back and forth from 1 red to 2 red to 3 red then back to 2 red then 1... Never finally completely locked. My only other option was to go back home and get my laptop so I could monitor with Ground Station but by this point I was so frustrated I just gave up. Oh, there was one point where it was only flashing 1 red in ATTI and I thought for the hell of it I flipped it into GPS ATTI then boom back to 3 flashing red.

I am a strong supporter of DJI products but what's up with no GPS and iOSD?

Setup:
DJI S800 - Stock props
WKM running 1.34 Assistant with 5.16FW and V2 Compass (too many problems with 5.18 for me still)
Zenmuse Z15N - Sony NEX7
DJI 5.8ghz Video Downlink
iOSD MK1 1.08FW
900mhz Datalink/Groundstation
Spektrum DX 18 x 2 (Setup for both single and dual operator)
Spektrum AR9020 x 2
Spektrum XPlus8
Secraft TX and FPV trays with 9" monitor

Oh, just powered up the bird on the bench... iOSD works again..(Every flippin' time....)
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Last edited by apvxtreme; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
61 Posts
I mailed to Dji support and they contacted my reseller.
MarcCam is offline Find More Posts by MarcCam
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
665 Posts
Hi all

We just released 5.20 firmware of WKM(http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...g-m/downloads/).

All 5.18 firmware customers need upgrade to 5.20 before any take off.

Meantime, the 5.16 firmware is also available for download as an option.
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:46 AM
Belgrade, Serbia
Joined May 2010
451 Posts
Anyone in Oregon owning a drone fitted with a camera could be jailed for six months, or a year if it's caught flying, if a new state law is passed. The rules were proposed to tackle, among other things, peeping toms gazing into bedroom windows.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02...ones_face_ban/

RFTC: Oregon Senate Bill 71 Bans FPV Flying and Other "Drones" (4 min 42 sec)
dragant is offline Find More Posts by dragant
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:53 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI INNOVATIONS View Post
Hi all

We just released 5.20 firmware of WKM(http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...g-m/downloads/).

thumbs up!
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:19 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragant View Post
Anyone in Oregon owning a drone fitted with a camera could be jailed for six months, or a year if it's caught flying, if a new state law is passed. The rules were proposed to tackle, among other things, peeping toms gazing into bedroom windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoJoVk_qSo
Texas is working on one too.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Hi all

Hi DJI,

I think it would be good if there is more info from your company, about the failures in previous firmwares. I'm flying two octo's with dji but i really don't thrust the new updates as there seem to be problems here and there. Right now i'am still on firmware 5.08 as it didn't give me any problems for over hundreds of flights. When flying really expensive camera's u really don't wanna be unsure if the firmware will do it's job. Maybe u already made some reports of test u have done , in that case i would be happy to read or see them. When i read about copters falling from the sky (all motor stop) i really lost trust in updates. I think it would be a good way of winning back some confidence of your existing customers.

Thank you!

Fuwu
Fuwubuman is offline Find More Posts by Fuwubuman
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:03 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragant View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoJoVk_qSo
Well US State Legislatures have a bit of "form" when it comes to nutty legislation - didn't Kansas outlaw the transcendentality of Pi at one stage?
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Quote:
Hi all

What differences ? Could we have a Release Note Updated (still in 5.18) ?

Does it correct unconsiderable DRIFTS on hexa & octo ?

I have juste update my quad in 5.20 and flies 5 min. This 5 min where fine :-)
But is it the solution for my hexa drifts ?

Thanks
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:24 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Anybody tried the 5.20 with Hexa ?
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:18 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Anybody tried the 5.20 with Hexa ?
Not yet Panza, still waiting for more testers to run it first...
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:44 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Feb 2011
75 Posts
Who wants to try first? We search people with big balls..
What say DJI? It`s safe?
pokmon is offline Find More Posts by pokmon
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:01 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,420 Posts
Happy with FW 5.08, and reading all experiences of FW updates with greatest interest and respect!

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:03 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
877 Posts
LOL

I will be updating tonight on my Hexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokmon View Post
Who wants to try first? We search people with big balls..
What say DJI? It`s safe?
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1