SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
Registered User
hexa's Avatar
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
Today I had a crash with my S800 and Z15g onboard. WKM had 5.18 FW loaded.
Here is the video of the crash. It started to spin so violently that 2 battery packs were thrown out of the tray. Thats why camera stopped recording and copter fell on the ground.

Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of the spin? It was in GPS mode, when spinning I went to ATTI and manual, but it didn't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYtN9...ature=youtu.be
Just saw this. Did the z15 survive ?

God. When the s800 is assembled it's one big arse monster looking craft but when it crash it turns to one lil pile of broken bits.

Am guessing Dji did not do a crash test with the s800 frame like they did with the f450.

Any one remember that Dji test vid when they toss a f450 frame out the window from a tall building. They also had a bloke jumping like hell on one demonstrating the strength of the f450

They should have done the same with the s800.

Sorry for your loss dude I hope the dealer sort you out real good.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
45 Posts
CRASH: GRAUPNER MC-20 and WKM with Cinestar 8

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/inde...-with-wkm.908/


250-300 yards out C8 started drifting away and not responding to control inputs.
I initiated a return-to-home. C8 responded and returned directly to takeoff position at altitude, but I was unable to cancel the failsafe or re-establish any radio control whatsoever.
C8 started counter-clockwise toilet bowl on descent and started drifting away from takeoff position. Just watched in horror as it kept coming down, toilet bowling, and eventually slammed into the side of a trailer with speed.
Three broken booms, 3 motors, 8 props. Coulda been worse. Luckily no damage to gimbal or camera.

I would deduce a combo of factors leading to this crash. Firstly, clearly a range issue with my Graupner system, and secondly a GPS issue with the WKM (attributed to the toilet-bowling as it seems GPS was seeking but not finding exact position). Then the failsafe lockout issue (WKM?) combined with pilot error - panic. There are some things I should have tried to reestablish radio control, like switching between flight modes, but I was expecting a nice autoland as I had experienced during tests, and when it started toilet-bowling there was not much time to react.

I have been flying this machine without issue for two months. On initial flights I tested the failsafe return-to-home and it worked perfectly all the way to landing.

What's new:
New location...kind of. I normally live and fly in North Carolina. This crash occurred in Utah. However I have had over 20 successful flights here in Utah prior to this crash. I did not recalibrate my compass/GPS upon arrival in Utah, so this could be a factor.

I checked internet for solar flares on that day and there was one - but not particularly significant.

The relatively short range that started the chain of events is most puzzling. It was about as far as I typically feel comfortable flying so I have not pushed beyond that, but obviously should be well below the range limits. I am pulling the Graupner data this morning to see what it shows.

I think the toilet bowling was my fault as I did not do the recalibration for magnetic deviations in Utah. This was a procedure I just honestly did not think about when I came out to Utah.

Question: What is the recommended failsafe setting within a Graupner MX (or MC) 20 in combo with the WKM failsafe?
BryHarv is offline Find More Posts by BryHarv
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
recently DJI added a "Feature" where upon a loss of one motor the aircraft would "spin" but still land...

it makes one think if these are realted.... possibly one motor failed or the flight control somehow "thought" that one motor failed... however there is no feedback loop from the esc to the FC.

Anyway some food for thought.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
Today I had a crash with my S800 and Z15g onboard. WKM had 5.18 FW loaded.
Here is the video of the crash. It started to spin so violently that 2 battery packs were thrown out of the tray. Thats why camera stopped recording and copter fell on the ground.

Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of the spin? It was in GPS mode, when spinning I went to ATTI and manual, but it didn't help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYtN9...ature=youtu.be
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
I would not pin this on your radio range just yet..... drifting and not responding to control inputs happens seemingly whenever it wants to (usually when I am on a job) with all my DJI systems, I have two WKM and two Naza that for no reason whatsover will lean so hard one direction that I have to use full stick to keep it in place. I have been told by others that have had this to put it into gps mode and back out then you will get control back... I have yet to try this.

After these issues I can fly the next day without changing ANYTHING and they fly like they are on rails.

My current feeling is there is a certain vibration frequency that the DJI does not like... if you hit it... you are in trouble. If you are above or below it... you are fine.

If you have not seen this then you are just lucky, belive me I have installed these things 6 ways to sunday and ALL of them have exibited this behaviour at one point then flown fine soon after.

I would love to replicate the problem so I can test the mode switch in flight "fix" but I can not.

As for toilet bowl.. yeah, one day it's rock solid the next day toilet bowl.

Sorry for your crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryHarv View Post
http://forum.freeflysystems.com/inde...-with-wkm.908/


250-300 yards out C8 started drifting away and not responding to control inputs.
I initiated a return-to-home. C8 responded and returned directly to takeoff position at altitude, but I was unable to cancel the failsafe or re-establish any radio control whatsoever.
C8 started counter-clockwise toilet bowl on descent and started drifting away from takeoff position. Just watched in horror as it kept coming down, toilet bowling, and eventually slammed into the side of a trailer with speed.
Three broken booms, 3 motors, 8 props. Coulda been worse. Luckily no damage to gimbal or camera.

I would deduce a combo of factors leading to this crash. Firstly, clearly a range issue with my Graupner system, and secondly a GPS issue with the WKM (attributed to the toilet-bowling as it seems GPS was seeking but not finding exact position). Then the failsafe lockout issue (WKM?) combined with pilot error - panic. There are some things I should have tried to reestablish radio control, like switching between flight modes, but I was expecting a nice autoland as I had experienced during tests, and when it started toilet-bowling there was not much time to react.

I have been flying this machine without issue for two months. On initial flights I tested the failsafe return-to-home and it worked perfectly all the way to landing.

What's new:
New location...kind of. I normally live and fly in North Carolina. This crash occurred in Utah. However I have had over 20 successful flights here in Utah prior to this crash. I did not recalibrate my compass/GPS upon arrival in Utah, so this could be a factor.

I checked internet for solar flares on that day and there was one - but not particularly significant.

The relatively short range that started the chain of events is most puzzling. It was about as far as I typically feel comfortable flying so I have not pushed beyond that, but obviously should be well below the range limits. I am pulling the Graupner data this morning to see what it shows.

I think the toilet bowling was my fault as I did not do the recalibration for magnetic deviations in Utah. This was a procedure I just honestly did not think about when I came out to Utah.

Question: What is the recommended failsafe setting within a Graupner MX (or MC) 20 in combo with the WKM failsafe?
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
61 Posts
I had this problem before I send it back to the reseller and the wake up event was changing gains. Happened once while flying for trimming. Hope with the "repaired" Wookong I'll not see this again. Will stay on 5.16. But strange that I couldn't calibrate the compass correct under 5.18.
MarcCam is offline Find More Posts by MarcCam
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:10 PM
Psionic001's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,190 Posts
Dragants videos are some of the most high risk and dangerous I have seen.
I don't usually comment on people flyovers, but a failure over crowds with that density could lead to more than a severe injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananawhiz View Post
your aerials are really somes of the best multicopters aerials I've seen, just amazing!
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:15 PM
Psionic001's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,190 Posts
+1
Remove the PU Gel

Then upload a video. Everyone's definition of wobbles is slightly different.



Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
first thing I would do it get rid of the gel under the imu. I have mine mounted with double sided tape as DJI recommends. I think maybe the gel ( which will have movement) is the culprit

Mine is a flat octo ( droidworx)
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:20 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
I am also deeply against flying over anybody... anyone who does is not only risking those people lives but our hobby and my profession.

Rant over.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:22 PM
Registered User
Gbox's Avatar
Switzerland, GR, St. Moritz
Joined Nov 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Looks like your gains are too high.
I don't think so! I have the same gains like on fw5.16 and the issue only on fw5.18.
I have switched back to fw5.16. fw5.18 is to risky for me!

This logfile was recorded on the ground with very low throttle.
Gbox is offline Find More Posts by Gbox
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:36 PM
What goes around comes around.
squigg's Avatar
Joined May 2011
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Dragants videos are some of the most high risk and dangerous I have seen.
I don't usually comment on people flyovers, but a failure over crowds with that density could lead to more than a severe injury.
Agreed, bordering on scary, that was a very dense crowd of people, extremely high risk. tut tut.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:56 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
The Carbonbird's could have a bearing issue ....
Also thought of that...replaced all 8 with brand new ones and I checked each for rough bearings out of the box
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:19 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,211 Posts
WKM yaw problem

Hi all,
We tried our WKM octo today. It seems pretty steady in hover. But when we give a right yaw it turns but tilts forward and when we give left yaw it turns but tilts backwards.
Can anyone help out?
The bird is at the shop now and I can't give you the gains.

Cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2009
801 Posts
I had an issue like this, check the ESC's connections on the MC side, I had the M7 and M8 switched.
helicoblast is online now Find More Posts by helicoblast
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:33 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,211 Posts
Thanks I'll try that when I get to the shop.
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:23 PM
William Okamura
Brazil
Joined Aug 2006
97 Posts
Help!! I donīt have any ideia how I will put all these stuff in my hexa! Alware Streak 800



anyone can share the installation and show us your rig?
okamuwf is offline Find More Posts by okamuwf
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ballistic Recovery System for Multirotors Duck! Aerial Photography 65 Feb 26, 2014 09:58 PM
Discussion DJI - WooKong eStab for Scale sidneyw Scale Helicopters 97 Dec 30, 2012 10:48 AM
Discussion FY3ZT Autopilot for Aerial Photography feiyudz Aerial Photography 116 May 07, 2012 04:58 PM
Discussion DJI AceOne autopilot for sale... hazchem88 Aerial Photography 4 Mar 31, 2011 03:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM