HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2004
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
I am a giant Naza+GPS fan. Bang for the buck is amazing.

I am about to start my Y6 build and will probably get a WKM just to play with and to test out some of it's features. That and if I find myself with $3500 burning a hole in my pocket i'll pick up Z15 and will need the WKM anyway.

If I were just getting started... NAZA + GPS can't be beat.
Not sure if I can "trust" your option!? You seem to be fan boy... and I don't mean that in a bad way.

I need way points, so the NAZA is not an option for me. When I first saw the z15, I was blown away. I had it already in my shopping car... for some reason I did not pull the trigger and I am glad I didn't. For what I am getting, it's not worth it. At least not to me. I have seen other gimbals, that do almost the same job as the z15 and once in Adobe Premiere, after stabilizing the footage, there will be no difference! Especially considering, that you have to drag your footage in there anyway, to edit it. Stabilizing video has become a joke. You do not need to create key frames anymore... just drag your stabilizing effect in the video and you are done...

Well, that is a different story and doesn't belong here...

Thanks,

G
neavissa is offline Find More Posts by neavissa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I can't see how fan boy can be taken as anything BUT bad... lol.

I have done my research and now have flown a few others controllers. Naza/WKM is hands down the best for video and stable flight. Looking for a sports quad? Forget DJI.

I agree about the Z15, I just think its really a neat piece of tech and I am a tech kinda guy. I'll buy crap I don't really need based on cool factor alone. For a 3 axis gimbal the Z15 is really awesome, that is assuming you even need a 3 axis. I am currently flying an 2 axis Askman Gimbal and it's awesome. Once Hoverfly gets the yaw coupling issue fixed on their gimbal controller I will be MUCH happier.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
792 Posts
Quote:
I can't see how fan boy can be taken as anything BUT bad... lol.
Please, don't say that! I really appreciate the info!... even it comes from a Fan Boy, lol.

Quote:
I have done my research and now have flown a few others controllers. Naza/WKM is hands down the best for video and stable flight. Looking for a sports quad? Forget DJI.
Yeah, it kinda makes sense to me. DJI definitely seems to be the more "pro" stuff... no doubt about that!

Quote:
I agree about the Z15, I just think its really a neat piece of tech and I am a tech kinda guy. I'll buy crap I don't really need based on cool factor alone. For a 3 axis gimbal the Z15 is really awesome, that is assuming you even need a 3 axis. I am currently flying an 2 axis Askman Gimbal and it's awesome. Once Hoverfly gets the yaw coupling issue fixed on their gimbal controller I will be MUCH happier.
Believe it or not, I am the same way. Well, I used to be. Now that I have kids, I feel bad "wasting" money on stuff no one ever uses! I don't even take anything away from them, its just like being more mature now, lol. I still have cars and helicopters sitting there, NIB. A share, really! Anyhow, that is a different story.
Check out this video, if you haven't seen it already! The dude is using a Askman gimbal as well. I actually believe that this video made me believe that I have no need for a z15... but that's just me!

The main reason I would like to have way points, is that I am probably going to film on my own, as a one-man show. This means, that it would be easier to plan a route and when flying along, I can focus on filming?! Maybe that is a stupid idea to begin with?!

thanks,

G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jB8uPF3tzb8
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Daloaf is getting so pretty awesome video, always fun to watch.

I plan flight lines... but I don't see a computer controlled helicopter flying as smoothly as I can. I can't speak from experience but if the copter only cares about getting from A to B to C, it won't pay attention to angles and what the wind is doing etc. My flight lines can change (if the subject allows) once in the air because of wind, if I see it's stronger 50-100ft up I avoid flying directly into it because my forward speed + wind in the face of the camera = microbouncing and a chance for poor video. I think you'll find that flying FPV can help get the shots you want. It helps with lining up the shot and gives you feedback from the ground what the craft is doing. DO NOT use the camera on the gimbal as your only video out to your groundstation/goggles. You need to be able to see what the craft is doing, FPV-out on a gimbal it looks like you are level even if you have lost a prop and your craft is leaning. Get a camera switcher and put it on a spare channel on your TX, then you can fly to the shot via your FPV cam hard mounted to your frame, then switch to the camera on the gimbal to see EXACTLY what you are shooting. You can then switch back to fly home or if something doesn't 'feel' right.

I really don't think the waypoints and a pilot should be used as a two-man camera crew. If you want to focus on filming you really should find yourself a pilot to fly.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:22 PM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
357 Posts
Hi All
Please QUOTE ME if someONE have THE ONE answer :

- i note that define a POI point with 3xSwitch, DEFINE A DIFFERENT point than
define a CourseLock point.
OK I accept.

But How to Define the HOME Point ? This used for failsaife go home for example.
Is it the POI'one, the CL'one ?
Or only the one when PMU power on the WK , at the begining of the flight ?

The right anwserMAN WINS a QUOTE
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Hi All
Please QUOTE ME if someONE have THE ONE answer :

- i note that define a POI point with 3xSwitch, DEFINE A DIFFERENT point than
define a CourseLock point.
OK I accept.

But How to Define the HOME Point ? This used for failsaife go home for example.
Is it the POI'one, the CL'one ?
Or only the one when PMU power on the WK , at the begining of the flight ?

The right anwserMAN WINS a QUOTE
After you plug in your mutlicopter while in GPS mode, wait about a minute till you see rapid green flashing lights for about a second. That tells you that the home point has been set.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:55 PM
Joined Oct 2004
792 Posts
Quote:
Daloaf is getting so pretty awesome video, always fun to watch.

I plan flight lines... but I don't see a computer controlled helicopter flying as smoothly as I can. I can't speak from experience but if the copter only cares about getting from A to B to C, it won't pay attention to angles and what the wind is doing etc. My flight lines can change (if the subject allows) once in the air because of wind, if I see it's stronger 50-100ft up I avoid flying directly into it because my forward speed + wind in the face of the camera = microbouncing and a chance for poor video. I think you'll find that flying FPV can help get the shots you want. It helps with lining up the shot and gives you feedback from the ground what the craft is doing. DO NOT use the camera on the gimbal as your only video out to your groundstation/goggles. You need to be able to see what the craft is doing, FPV-out on a gimbal it looks like you are level even if you have lost a prop and your craft is leaning. Get a camera switcher and put it on a spare channel on your TX, then you can fly to the shot via your FPV cam hard mounted to your frame, then switch to the camera on the gimbal to see EXACTLY what you are shooting. You can then switch back to fly home or if something doesn't 'feel' right.

I really don't think the waypoints and a pilot should be used as a two-man camera crew. If you want to focus on filming you really should find yourself a pilot to fly.
Very well said! Now that you brought it up, it made me think and I couldn't agree more! (at least with the technology being where it is now. Once the accuracy improves drastically, different story!) Its not like the aircraft will travel like a cable cam does, ha ha. Like I said, once the aircraft will fly exactly like you want it to, the idea is not too bad... I think. However, it is what it is now, and that calls for a two man operation! I agree.

The other thing you said also makes totally sense! I once had a GoPro hard mounted underneath my Helicopter and I flew the heli the same way I wanted the shot to be. Of course that is only possible to a certain extend, but it worked great, since I always knew where the camera is pointing! If you now go a step further and do that via FPV, damn, that is a good idea! I can fly helis pretty good and I should not have a problem flying a quad! At least I don't, with my Traxxas QR-1, or whatever that this is called, LOL.

Thanks for the great input!

Georgios
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
After you plug in your mutlicopter while in GPS mode, wait about a minute till you see rapid green flashing lights for about a second. That tells you that the home point has been set.
The green flashes tell you the the compass heading has been set. Home Point is set after 6 or more satellites have been locked for 8 or more sec. WKM Manual Page 23. You do not have to be in GPS mode for this to happen.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:52 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
Yes at the first plug, OK.

But, DJI said a time : to reaffect altitude for RTH, you can define a Home Point in altitude. The RTH Alt will be Home Point Alt + 20m

So, who redefine RTH Home Point ?
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,125 Posts
Failsafe question...

I am setting up my Octo WKM-m
DX8 TM1000
When I setup failsafe. and activate the switch the assistant shows the blue failsafe position but no 40% throttle.
When I turn off my radio the assistant shows the blue failsafe position and the 40% throttle.
They seem to be reversed.
Is that safe or should I look for something else?

On my other WKM-m it shows the 40% throttle position when I activate the switch..
Cheers
Bill
bcollydas is online now Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:11 AM
Germany, SA, Halle Saale
Joined Nov 2012
352 Posts
wrong forum ...
renricker7 is offline Find More Posts by renricker7
Last edited by renricker7; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
I am setting up my Octo WKM-m
DX8 TM1000
When I setup failsafe. and activate the switch the assistant shows the blue failsafe position but no 40% throttle.
When I turn off my radio the assistant shows the blue failsafe position and the 40% throttle.
They seem to be reversed.
Is that safe or should I look for something else?

On my other WKM-m it shows the 40% throttle position when I activate the switch..
Cheers
Bill
When you activate the switch with the radio on the throttle will be where ever you leave it? If the radio is switched off you want the throttle at about 50% and the failsafe activated
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:52 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,125 Posts
That's what it does now Aviator1.
But the other WKM the bar goes to 50% throttle when I activate the switch and 0 throttle when I turn the radio off.

DJI must of changed something in the software
I guess is safe...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
That's what it does now Aviator1.
But the other WKM the bar goes to 50% throttle when I activate the switch and 0 throttle when I turn the radio off.

DJI must of changed something in the software
I guess is safe...
Dont guess anything when it comes to failsafe.. I will try with mine and see what happens?

O.K mine does the same as yours.. I would say is normal? Maybe changed in the firmware like you say... I am running 5.16 on both my WKM`s so cannot affirm it..
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Last edited by Aviator1; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:06 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,125 Posts
Thanks Aviator good to know....
It must be in the firmware cause on 5.08 it went the otherway