HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:24 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbob View Post
Are the CAN ports all the same? Can I hook any device into any available CAN port?

Reason I ask is that I just installed my iOSD and Data Link tonight which was pretty straight forward I thought. The family is sleeping so I just took it into the garage for a quick power up. Normally, arming the copter makes the motors spin for about 5sec and then they stop. This time, they all stopped except one. That one kept going and I know something is not quite right. I unplugged it to stop the motor. Weird.
I found out what the problem was. Turned out I had continuity between the positive terminal of the main power supply and the carbon fiber frame. I also mounted a Sony FPV cam on this night which has a grounded case. This grounded case caused a surge of electricity into my iOSD and made everything behave wrong. The potential of the frame was 16V and the potential of the FPV cam was 12V. I tried to find where the positive line was touching any part of the frame, but in the process, the continuity is gone and I don't know where it could be. I had no idea how conductive carbon fiber is. The shiny coating is not, but if you get past that, it is very conductive.

Luckily, nothing was harmed. See the continuity for yourself:
Where's the short? (2 min 0 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Friends!
After the release Wookong, still no reliable information about the series of white flashes.
I want to collect data from many users about their observations of the white flashes.

I want to make a poll here, and on the Russian and Ukrainian forums to see the whole picture of subject.
After summarizing the results I will post them here.

I ask all members to help me in this matter!
What happens to your machine when a series of white flashes?
1. Nothing unusual happens
2. Broken horizontal stability
3. broken vertical stability
4. your score up (please describe it)

What do you do if you see a series of white flashes?
1. Do not pay attention, fly
2. Not actively fly, waiting for normal bursts
3. Preparing for an emergency landing
4. The other variant (please describe it)

Best regards!
painter12 is offline Find More Posts by painter12
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
painter I think you should start an actual poll... using RCG thread tools.

otherwise my answers are #2 and #3

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Mt Hutton
Joined Jul 2007
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb56 View Post
Jim Just thought I'd add the bit in red to your instructions for those searching for the fix in the future (for dummies like me)
Failed to launch Ground Station
OK the saga continues
got to the stage of trying to establish a link with the WKM - bird had 7+ sats hit the connect button and got the handshake fail - tried it on all available comm ports - same thing
Started reading - from what I can tell I should have a USB to Serial device listed under ports in system and an associated port which I did not
So uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times but still no device

Anyone know the trick to get this to work - stand on my head whilst drinking beer then hit install
Windows 7 64 bit
Cheers
Joe
joeb56 is offline Find More Posts by joeb56
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Mt Hutton
Joined Jul 2007
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb56 View Post
Failed to launch Ground Station
OK the saga continues
got to the stage of trying to establish a link with the WKM - bird had 7+ sats hit the connect button and got the handshake fail - tried it on all available comm ports - same thing
Started reading - from what I can tell I should have a USB to Serial device listed under ports in system and an associated port which I did not
So uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times but still no device

Anyone know the trick to get this to work - stand on my head whilst drinking beer then hit install
Windows 7 64 bit
Cheers
Joe
Jumped in too quick but I'll post the fix for future reference
Windows had installed it under other devices but did not install the driver
went to properties updade driver etc etc
It installed the driver then I had a USB Serial device on Comm 17
Just need to wait until it stops raining so I can get some sats
But I'mm guessing it will now work
Cheers
Joe
joeb56 is offline Find More Posts by joeb56
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, NY, Westbury
Joined Mar 2012
100 Posts
hey everyone ... wondering if someone could help me out here....
i have a droidworx y6 set up with the wookong m 30amp hobbyking esc flashed with simonk
with graupner 10"5 props..running 2 6200mah in parallel with the latest firmware and torxpower engines....today i went out for a flight to make some corrections to the gains.... i tried getting it off the ground and at almost full power could barely climb...and when it did it would yaw to the right...even if i gave it full left rudder it would still yaw right...i have plenty of spacing between the electronics on it and measured the cog quite accurately...i made sure that the arms are as perpendicular as can be..my original settings 134/124/140/75/65/65..then tried recommended settings in the back of wookong manual...just wondering if anyone had the same issues, not really sure where to start on this one. any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks !
El PaDrone is offline Find More Posts by El PaDrone
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:13 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
sounds like a big build for only 10" graupner props which don't produce much lift compared to a slow fly.

what motors?
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:50 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
sounds like a big build for only 10" graupner props which don't produce much lift compared to a slow fly.

what motors?
I had the same thoughts - also, which version of SimonK ESC firmware? - V1 has an issue with slow desaturation of high quality neodymium magnets at high power settings.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:25 AM
United States, NY, Westbury
Joined Mar 2012
100 Posts
the engines are torxpower 2216
El PaDrone is offline Find More Posts by El PaDrone
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edykosta View Post
These are way too small for that Y6 !!!

You should use MT2814 or AXI2814/22 instead.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
Trying to understand something
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Nov 2011
219 Posts
deleted
jovito is offline Find More Posts by jovito
Last edited by jovito; Dec 03, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:51 PM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
hey everyone ... wondering if someone could help me out here....
i have a droidworx y6 set up with the wookong m 30amp hobbyking esc flashed with simonk
with graupner 10"5 props..running 2 6200mah in parallel with the latest firmware and torxpower engines....today i went out for a flight to make some corrections to the gains.... i tried getting it off the ground and at almost full power could barely climb...and when it did it would yaw to the right...even if i gave it full left rudder it would still yaw right...i have plenty of spacing between the electronics on it and measured the cog quite accurately...i made sure that the arms are as perpendicular as can be..my original settings 134/124/140/75/65/65..then tried recommended settings in the back of wookong manual...just wondering if anyone had the same issues, not really sure where to start on this one. any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks !
clarify the batteries, I had a hex that would barely fly with a 3S 5000 batteries
then switched to 4S 5000 and it flew fine.. I was using sunnysky 2216 motors.
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:43 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
283 Posts
Found something out about the white flashes. If you interrupt the GPS somehow, then the white flashes will appear. I interrupted my GPS by using a 1.3Ghz video downlink, and on the bench, I could wave the video antena, while it was on, over the GPS antena, and the white flashes would show up every time.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdww View Post
Found something out about the white flashes. If you interrupt the GPS somehow, then the white flashes will appear. I interrupted my GPS by using a 1.3Ghz video downlink, and on the bench, I could wave the video antena, while it was on, over the GPS antena, and the white flashes would show up every time.
Thats exactly how i crashed my first hexa.1.2 1W video tx. been using 200mw 5.8 without any problem eversince.
flashervn is offline Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:

What kV?

3S or 4S?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan