HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbb View Post
Also, just a thought, how many after upgrading alter back to default settings , then re set the gains ?

i was told always to do this after an upgrade, re-set all settings back to default, and re do all your gains again if needed.
I have not done that. I did the calibration but not the gains.
tombrown1 is offline Find More Posts by tombrown1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:02 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
796 Posts
Quote:
Also, just a thought, how many after upgrading alter back to default settings , then re set the gains ?

i was told always to do this after an upgrade, re-set all settings back to default, and re do all your gains again if needed.
Flew 3 flights on 5.16 today. Behaved perfectly. I didn't reset anything. Just went through all the settings and checked that nothing had changed. I did hit "write" before leaving each tab after checking the settings. -- JOHN
edit: Oh, and I also did the compass/gps re-calibration.
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
342 Posts
In 5.16 I got the same sort of drift with nicksouk from last page.it wanders all over. Got lots of white flashes in 5.14. Mine is a first batch WKM .Had it since July last year.
flashervn is offline Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:40 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Sky-Futures (1 min 32 sec)
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:32 AM
Kingdom of Sweden, Blekinge County
Joined Aug 2010
74 Posts
Hi guys.
I have just upgraded to 5.16 and I must say after 10 min. flying I,m happy.
No white flashes , and more reliable than before, at least better than 5.10 & 5.12.
Multcopter is a hexa about 2,8kg. I hope it can help some in decision in upgrading or not.

Regards
Gredeby is offline Find More Posts by Gredeby
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:37 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
This is good news. Wake up "really test pilots" and write your experience with 5.16 FW.
My hexa have two crashes with 5.14 (one motor stopped) and still waiting broken parts..
pokmon is offline Find More Posts by pokmon
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
My Octo has WKM with old GPS on 5.14 there is no drift not even a cm and super smooth. My new S800 with WKM and new GPS on 5.16 is now after lots of fiddling with settings and gains flying quite nice but not as smooth as the Octo and will drift a few feet from postion occasionaly which I cannot seem to solve? not sure if this is an issue with the S800, new WKM and GPS or settings? my experience would suggest S800? as there is a fair amount of vibration coming from the arms even after prop balancing but my intution would suggest messing around with the mounting settings so that the INS is more precise?
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:21 AM
William Okamura
Brazil
Joined Aug 2006
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
?????
okamuwf is offline Find More Posts by okamuwf
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrown1 View Post
I have not done that. I did the calibration but not the gains.
Yes, was just asking because the local supplier i used, had been in touch with DJI and thats what they came back to him with, that said, i think it does state to re-set all parameters after an upgrade.

just was wondering if that possibly could have been an issue if it was not done, in that , i have always done that, and never had any flight problems with any i have upgraded, got me thinking, whether after upgrade and you dont re set everything, things get a little messed up.
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
In the manual: You must click Default button in first setup parameter, and subsequence firmware upgrade.
semich is offline Find More Posts by semich
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
422 Posts
Actually, on the S800 it has become common practice for me to re-calibrate the gps compass every time I fly somewhere different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Flew 3 flights on 5.16 today. Behaved perfectly. I didn't reset anything. Just went through all the settings and checked that nothing had changed. I did hit "write" before leaving each tab after checking the settings. -- JOHN
edit: Oh, and I also did the compass/gps re-calibration.
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Yes, was just asking because the local supplier i used, had been in touch with DJI and thats what they came back to him with, that said, i think it does state to re-set all parameters after an upgrade.

just was wondering if that possibly could have been an issue if it was not done, in that , i have always done that, and never had any flight problems with any i have upgraded, got me thinking, whether after upgrade and you dont re set everything, things get a little messed up.

Thanks Dave. Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob and had mine set up for me originally. So I should default, write, and then put my old parameters back in and write again?

TB
tombrown1 is offline Find More Posts by tombrown1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,627 Posts
If you export all your settings to a file before making changes, it saves some time.. after the upgrade, just import from the file, and WRITE each tab back to the Wk-M or NAZA.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
422 Posts
Just finished a 30min test flight with 5.16 for the first time, smooth... No issues at all, GPS held strong, Atti flew nice and steady. No white or red flashes at all. I'll take her for another run tomorrow, have a quick photo shoot to do while the sun is still out! I'll post the video(s) as soon as I can.
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
855 Posts
Firmware version 5.16

I wanted to add my two cents to the reports regarding the newest 5.16 firmware. I loaded it today on my quad camera ship and it is the best yet! During about 24 minutes of actual flight time I had near perfect flight smoothness & stability. GPS hold was great & so far no flashing white light when doing aggressive flying. Am very happy with it so far!
tkeeg is online now Find More Posts by tkeeg