HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:40 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I was testing my octo, I don't think I was videoing at the time.
They were only replacing S800's I believe. I have not even been offered replacement parts. Heck I have not even gotten my GPS replaced yet. But then again according to you, I can't prove it was the GPS and not "my flying skills". Or lack there of.
Sorry I assumed you had a S800, you are correct I doubt they would replace your parts. I never said you couldnt fly well, I'm just repeating what I've seen in other threads. You have to prove it wasnt due to pilot error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
How do you know?
How do you know?.

I think its a great step forward for a company to start testing like this. I hope others follow and I hope DJI continues to further testing. It will only improve the quality if all manufactures start making tests and expand them. I can only imagine eventually its going to be required in the future with government regulations all over the world. Like you said DJI could have gotten in some major trouble if this bug hurt some one. Although I have no idea how easy / difficult it is to sue a Chinese company.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:18 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
http://www.dji-innovations.com/compa...mware_bug_form

Did you all who got your replacement gps now have a grey connector plug??
Theres a good tool on that page to check your unit..
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Last edited by squigg; Nov 11, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Sorry I assumed you had a S800, you are correct I doubt they would replace your parts. I never said you couldnt fly well, I'm just repeating what I've seen in other threads. You have to prove it wasnt due to pilot error.

How do you know?.

I think its a great step forward for a company to start testing like this. I hope others follow and I hope DJI continues to further testing. It will only improve the quality if all manufactures start making tests and expand them. I can only imagine eventually its going to be required in the future with government regulations all over the world. Like you said DJI could have gotten in some major trouble if this bug hurt some one. Although I have no idea how easy / difficult it is to sue a Chinese company.
A great step forward? weird, why now, shouldn't plenty testing have been done prior to going on the market?

As said, on mine i have little to no problems, but, that video of the S800 testing actually proves nothing, they are obviously set to a set throttle and set hover speed, so where is the variation you would get in normal flight? there is no load on them, obviously they have a constant consistent power source, unlike in normal use, batteries are used.

Proper testing would be fully loaded and proper outdoor flight tests, after all, if you selling an industrial based platform, then surely, it should be flight tested properly?

Its like rolling road tests we did back when i worked testing artic units, it didnt test everything, after that, we took them out on the test track, then if no issues, on to normal road tests, see what im saying?

all these testbed tests prove little to nothing, only real time, proper loaded rigs in proper flight outdoors will prove anything.

granted they are trying, but sadly imho, those tests are not able to replicate any ones certain issues, only a proper loaded flight would test that.
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Oct 2011
519 Posts
IMHO, there is a big misconception or maybe everyone is expecting too much. First who among the multirotor business has done this testing to begin with? Maybe 1 or 2 and maybe just a bunch. I agree that this doesnt cover flying conditions like with wind/load/etc but who will do that that nearly impossible to do, with different weather condition on all country, different weight variation, different satellite orientation/number, different magnetic declination and this are just simple stuff. This test is more of endurance test with all the claim that they have cheap stuff easily broken. You can only simplify test condition with controlled variable otherwise with extensive testing that we are requesting this it would cost more than the other FC out there (which are expensive already without such test). There is one multirotor I think that had done extensive test, dragan (maybe im wrong) but look how much that cost. I know there will be guys out there that will say they done care about the money.
TruckBasher is offline Find More Posts by TruckBasher
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:27 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbb View Post
A great step forward? weird, why now, shouldn't plenty testing have been done prior to going on the market?
I agree I think every one should test more but they dont. Eventually they will be forced to either by legal issues or government certification requirements.

I've seen tons of videos of DJI testing outdoors, but never any videos of endurance tests like this. This is the first multi rotor manufacture I've seen that has done this specific type of test for their hardware/software. I'm guessing they had a hunch on how to catch the issue and built a test designed to do such that since their field testing didn't always catch it.

So far the test looks to have been helpful for the company as I have yet to hear any one having the flip of death now that all the new GPS's are grounded until new firmware is updated on them.

/shrug
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Nov 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:13 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,227 Posts
Here's a flight tome of 40 minutes.
Of course with ideal conditions.
MikroKopter - flight time contest (41 min 44 sec)

Cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:28 PM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Mikrocopter flight.....
Out of order & topic
This is a DJI Topic boy....
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, UT, Park City
Joined Sep 2009
164 Posts
Hi all,

Im getting small low frequency oscillations (around 1 Hz) in atti and gps modes even with the gain really low. Even low enough to be hard to control in manual mode. Im thinking the answer to this problem may be in the advanced parameters. Does anyone know what parameter might help with this?

Thanks,

Daniel
Rctestflight is offline Find More Posts by Rctestflight
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Mikrocopter flight.....
Out of order & topic
This is a DJI Topic boy....
Well, you dont need to watch it, also a moaning post is not really on topic either

@Rctestflight,
the gains could be to low, as oscillation works both ways, even an out of balance prop could also cause it, or have you had the same Oscillation all the way through the range of gains you have used ?

have you got any "advanced parameters" inputted at all? if not go up in increments of 5% on pitch and roll and test ?
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
I have a WKM with C4 (quad) frame. For me... the wobble started in 5.12 but seem to be amplified in 5.14a. Flew perfectly on 5.08 and once upgraded to 5.12, the #1 and #3 motor are noticeably hotter than #2 and #4. On the second flight of 5.14a, I crashed (see video below) during auto landing... 2 twitches and it seemed #3 motor quit and crashed 10ft or so from ground. Also including below videos when I was on 5.12 showing twitches. DJI China have all these videos.

5.14a WKM crash video
12 08 30 CX4 WKM 5 14a Crash SHORT (0 min 30 sec)

5.12 WKM twitch video
12 07 16 WKM 5 12 POI test #2 (4 min 4 sec)

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
How big are your machines?

Seems that the larger 1 meter type machines and particularly OCTAs are getting the issues.
apeman88 is offline Find More Posts by apeman88
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
I am using a 1m heavy lift Octo on 5.14 with no problems so far, maybe 10 or more flights in different locations
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:16 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Feb 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1 View Post
I am using a 1m heavy lift Octo on 5.14 with no problems so far, maybe 10 or more flights in different locations
Lucky guy!! My hexa with 5.14 firmware two times stopped a motor. I have heavy hexa (approx 5 killos). I wait sollutions from DJI!
pokmon is offline Find More Posts by pokmon
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman88 View Post
On the second flight of 5.14a, I crashed (see video below) during auto landing... 2 twitches and it seemed #3 motor quit and crashed Ken
That's exactly what my CX4 looked like when my Lipo when flat. Could that have been one of your ESCs going low battery?
DaveyWavey is offline Find More Posts by DaveyWavey
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:23 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2011
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyWavey View Post
That's exactly what my CX4 looked like when my Lipo when flat. Could that have been one of your ESCs going low battery?
me tow same problem with my cx4
motor 2814 axi
esc dji 30A
bat 2 x 2200 mah 4S nano tech
3 flight perfect and the 4 take off and motor go full no control and crash
WKM 5.12
full batery
sdaudet is offline Find More Posts by sdaudet
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:54 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Same here multiple flights on a heavy lift CS8 on 5.14 with old gps compass no problems, new gps version in the post. Hope we've seen the back of all the probs everyones been having & we can concentrate on stress free flying again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1 View Post
HCAerials is offline Find More Posts by HCAerials