United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Gentlemen,

Any suggestions for WKM start values for a big 48" dia. CF,
CineStar type Octo? The defaults, on the WKM assistant
were all at 100 and that did not seem right to me. Any help
will be most appreciated.

- DJI 5.14 firmware (or should I go back to 5.12?)
- 12 lbs. flying weight
- 48-22 490Kv pancake motors
- 12 x 4.5 CF props
- ICE 50 ESC's flashed to CC new 4.2 multi-rotor firmware
- 2 x 5S Nano-Tech 5000mAh packs
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Twister773 & CONCEP60,

I really feel for you Guys! At my age, I sure do not need a Heart Attack while
flying my Octo! That is why I am trying to be so careful with my start values
and plan on testing...testing....testing, before any attempt at lift off!

Have you tried contacting the New DJI Tech? If not, I would suggest that you
do as I have been most pleased with their positive attitude and willingness
to really HELP! Give them a try; scott@djitech.com
Last edited by Papajeff; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Gentlemen,

Any suggestions for WKM start values for a big 48" dia. CF,
CineStar type Octo? The defaults, on the WKM assistant
were all at 100 and that did not seem right to me. Any help
will be most appreciated.

- DJI 5.14 firmware (or should I go back to 5.12?)
- 12 lbs. flying weight
- 48-22 490Kv pancake motors
- 12 x 4.5 CF props
- ICE 50 ESC's flashed to CC new 4.2 multi-rotor firmware
- 2 x 5S Nano-Tech 5000mAh packs
Hey PapJeff,
I have the Atti set at 150 and the Basic set at between 250 and 275 adjustable in flight. I find that between 250 and 275 is best on the Atti. Just be careful when test flying because my big Octo flipped twice on me and I mean flipped. It did not even move horizontally at all.
Best of luck my friend.
Gary
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Hey PapJeff,
I have the Atti set at 150 and the Basic set at between 250 and 275 adjustable in flight. I find that between 250 and 275 is best on the Atti. Just be careful when test flying because my big Octo flipped twice on me and I mean flipped. It did not even move horizontally at all.
Best of luck my friend.
Gary
Thanks Gary, that's a big help! We just tested with gains at;
150 / 150 / 175 / 100
200 / 200

Now I will set up the assistant with your settings and see what it will do.
I'll let you know the results and I hope that there will be no dreaded
"death flip!"
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:33 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Yep seems the zero uav is the light. I don't see none of those pilots worrying about copter flipping to its death out of the blues. Smashing expensive camera and chopping at faces.

The so called Dji reps are use less, they show their face now and again when the kitty gets low. But as soon as it fills they all vanish faster than knight rider chasing twinkle wink.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Hey PapJeff,
Best of luck my friend.
Gary
Hey Gary, thanks to you....the Octo flies! Ohhhhhhhhh............Yeahhhhhhhh!!!
Our start set was; 250 / 250 / 265 / 270 with atti 150 / 150 and the Octo
was just a little off with slight oscillations in all directions.

Then we went to 200 / 200 / 195 / 175 with atti 190 / 190 and then the Octo
did real good with just a little slow oscillation on the roll axis. We just flew
around at about 10 ft high testing all control stick movements which were
good and then landed when the 1st low voltage orange light started to flash.
By then we were chilled to the bone and were happy to call it quits. So,
thank you again for your help with the start values.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Hey Gary, thanks to you....the Octo flies! Ohhhhhhhhh............Yeahhhhhhhh!!!
Our start set was; 250 / 250 / 265 / 270 with atti 150 / 150 and the Octo
was just a little off with slight oscillations in all directions.

Then we went to 200 / 200 / 195 / 175 with atti 190 / 190 and then the Octo
did real good with just a little slow oscillation on the roll axis. We just flew
around at about 10 ft high testing all control stick movements which were
good and then landed when the 1st low voltage orange light started to flash.
By then we were chilled to the bone and were happy to call it quits. So,
thank you again for your help with the start values.
I start out with both Atti and Basic gains on 2 dials and fool with them till they are just right. Then I take the Atti adjustment off the dial and reassign the channel to something else. I keep the Basic gains adjustable on a dial because I change that gain according to the wind conditions.
I hope Sandy did not treat you too harshly, we just got our power back the other day.
Gary
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:57 PM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg View Post
Twister have you had your MC replaced? & are you flying on the old "safe" gps unit?
Yea I had my whole wkm replaced a while back because of white flashes...it still gets the white flashes sometimes. Sometimes it will white flash and nothing happens and then sometimes it will do its death bank while white flashing. Luckily I have a good amount of flying experience and can just flip to manual and let it chill out and then back into atti....but when im a couple hundred yards away at night...it was a miracle i got it back and saved it. You want to talk about scary...over a huge river, at night, next to a big bridge, and 6k of camera strapped underneath it.... I wish free fly would get there flight controller out already.
Twister773 is offline Find More Posts by Twister773
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:27 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773 View Post
Yea I had my whole wkm replaced a while back because of white flashes...it still gets the white flashes sometimes. Sometimes it will white flash and nothing happens and then sometimes it will do its death bank while white flashing. Luckily I have a good amount of flying experience and can just flip to manual and let it chill out and then back into atti....but when im a couple hundred yards away at night...it was a miracle i got it back and saved it. You want to talk about scary...over a huge river, at night, next to a big bridge, and 6k of camera strapped underneath it.... I wish free fly would get there flight controller out already.
Sounds scary that alright, think i would have panicked & crashed for sure... Is your gps unit the one with the black bits on as the other newer one has been recalled by dji?
http://www.dji-innovations.com/compass/submit_rma/

a freefly controller, that sounds interesting, is Tabb in development? I didnt hear that..
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
61 Posts
Hello again,

There is a German Forum discussing the drift Problem with the NAZA.
This is the Wookokng thread but my Wookong is at the reseller right know and the called me and they said had the same problem with my Wookong and waiting for some Swap things from DJI. I mounted the Naza without GPS on the same copter and it great.
Then I bought the GPS for the NAZA and have the same Problems than before the same lot of othe people have.

So please look at this link the You tube clip if you want to see soething really strange and scarry.

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.p...bsturz-Was-tun

This guy from now on flys with data logger and everything. Why I post it here because of my experience with the NAZA and Wookong same behavior with GPS and Firmware upgrade.

Any thoughts
MarcCam is offline Find More Posts by MarcCam
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:29 AM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
this is what I got back..

Hi, Ken,
Pls use 5.12a at the moment and wait for next firmware upgrade. We are working on it.

Best regards,

Terry
DJI Innovations
http://www.dji-innovations.com
Tel: 086-0755-26656677
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Jul 2012
61 Posts
So if some DJI Tech see this video maybe he could explain what happened in the flight controller on its long trip over the city. I mean the last long flight.
MarcCam is offline Find More Posts by MarcCam
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:08 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
422 Posts
Finally, everything is all setup, gps/compass came in last week along with iOSD and 5.8ghz downlink. The only thing left is retractable legs, but I have it all. I'm sitting here itchy to fly but am forcing myself to wait for the new WKM firmware to be released to match the new firmware in the compass. For all of you wanting to fly right now I feel your pain, trust me.. On the other hand the weather here isn't great and other than the odd few small jobs coming up I'm pretty much grounded until spring. I don't mind waiting for the new firmware so long as I know that it's finally going to work. I've never had any white flashes, it drifted on me once but I managed to bring it back and I was fighting 30km/hr winds so I can't say if it was the WKM at fault or not.

Regardless I'm putting together a little F550 right now just to play with and test in snow...

I do believe DJI WILL get the WKM bugs ironed out, it's all a matter of time and when they do it will be an amazing platform.

Don't give up yet!!! (monday morning rant...)
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:38 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvxtreme View Post
Finally, everything is all setup, gps/compass came in last week along with iOSD and 5.8ghz downlink. The only thing left is retractable legs, but I have it all. I'm sitting here itchy to fly but am forcing myself to wait for the new WKM firmware to be released to match the new firmware in the compass. For all of you wanting to fly right now I feel your pain, trust me.. On the other hand the weather here isn't great and other than the odd few small jobs coming up I'm pretty much grounded until spring. I don't mind waiting for the new firmware so long as I know that it's finally going to work. I've never had any white flashes, it drifted on me once but I managed to bring it back and I was fighting 30km/hr winds so I can't say if it was the WKM at fault or not.

Regardless I'm putting together a little F550 right now just to play with and test in snow...

I do believe DJI WILL get the WKM bugs ironed out, it's all a matter of time and when they do it will be an amazing platform.

Don't give up yet!!! (monday morning rant...)
I am running 5.14 on my large Octo and so far it is working fine. My issues with flipping were all WKM hardware related so new firmware will not guarantee you will not have problems.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Jan 2012
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchino65 View Post
disable antivirus, run command prompt in administrator mode
Done this and no change? the flushdns is not a problem, it is changing the hosts file..
Aviator1 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator1