HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redridinghood View Post
So if you don't use futaba gear with sbus you get no gimbal control with an octo?
This doesn't sound right, does it? If it is so then I need to make some urgent changes to my octo order and downgrade to a six.
I'm guessing eventually a more generic PPM solution will be available, but for now, if you want to do an X8 or an octo and use the gimbal outputs, you will need to use S-Bus.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
Norway, Rogaland, Stavanger
Joined Sep 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Yea. Cheapest Futaba RX with sbus is $80 (R6203SB).
I totally agree Futaba S-Bus is going to be great the cheapest Futaba receiver with fail-safe on all the channels as recommended would run me nearly double that of the cheapest Futaba S-Bus receiver. Losing some of the cable mess is not going to hurt either.
finto is offline Find More Posts by finto
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I'm guessing eventually a more generic PPM solution will be available, but for now, if you want to do an X8 or an octo and use the gimbal outputs, you will need to use S-Bus.

-- Gary
Nice job of DJI to keep a lid on this huge limitation until they sell some out the door. Not all of us have Futabas and not all are willing to change that.
Each day that passes this forum reminds me more of the Xaircraft one.

Picloc 3x anyone?
redridinghood is offline Find More Posts by redridinghood
Last edited by redridinghood; Sep 16, 2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added text
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finto View Post
I totally agree Futaba S-Bus is going to be great the cheapest Futaba receiver with fail-safe on all the channels as recommended would run me nearly double that of the cheapest Futaba S-Bus receiver. Losing some of the cable mess is not going to hurt either.
Wait until you see this awesome receiver with PPM out and failsafe on all channels. Why would anyone ever go to Futaba after that?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Wait until you see this awesome receiver with PPM out and failsafe on all channels. Why would anyone ever go to Futaba after that?
Trust
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:40 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
Nice job of DJI to keep a lid on this huge limitation until they sell some out the door. Not all of us have Futabas and not all are willing to change that.
Each day that passes this forum reminds me more of the Xaircraft one.

Picloc 3x anyone?
Except this one really works
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
Except this one really works
Only on Futabas
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:02 AM
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
Only on Futabas
Yay lucky me

BTW why do you need 8 motors? I remember back in the MK days, where H&I refused to increase the capacity of their (older v1.2) brushless ESC and keep telling everyone if you want bigger lift capacity you need to add more motors.
But here we can use any motor or ESC combination, surely 6 should be enough? OK except you want some redundancy as well (flat octo vs flat hexa).
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:05 AM
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
I hate frsky!!! Just because they released the above awesome rx after I bought 3 of the TFRSP
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:08 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
If they can do s-bus they should be able to do PPM with a simple firmware update right? Hopefully that's in the works because its kind of silly you can choose any ESC you want but are limited to Futaba if you want to run a 8x or to clean up your rx cables.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:10 AM
Joined Dec 2010
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
Yay lucky me

BTW why do you need 8 motors? I remember back in the MK days, where H&I refused to increase the capacity of their (older v1.2) brushless ESC and keep telling everyone if you want bigger lift capacity you need to add more motors.
But here we can use any motor or ESC combination, surely 6 should be enough? OK except you want some redundancy as well (flat octo vs flat hexa).
Redundancy is very important in any area were you are liable for the safety of others.
I am just curious on the limited mindset required to develop and produce a product for the "pro" market with "pro" price but with no universal eight motor ability. That's not very "pro" of them is it?
Last edited by redridinghood; Sep 16, 2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
I have no info. on how the S-bus will work. From my understanding thou is it will be Futaba only at first. That is all the info. I have until they release it Sept. 14th.
We have known for some time that that this upgrade was going to be a Futaba only upgrade for S-BUS.

This suits me just fine for the two systems I am building.
Iím building one for AP work with a DSLR on a gimbal. I see this as quite close in work where a standard transmitter and S-BUS with all its channels will be great. The way you can configure the servos in S-BUS for shutter work, I also see as a plus.

The second one is a craft for playing around with FPV. In my mind the S-Bus would be out because of the transmitter range needed, but so would the gimbal because it would in my mind create too much drag and be too much weight to come along on that ride. A small camera hard mounted would to my thinking be best.

So the system fits my needs very well at the moment.
As for comparing this to the vining in the XAircraft tread, yes you might be right. There people are vining about their $500 toy is not performing as well as a $3000 MK. I also bought an X650 to play around with but never had the expectations some people seem to have for a $500 toy. Some of the people actually want to build a business around it, having the X650 as their main machine. Go figure.

So be realistic people look into what are you going to use the system for, if this doesnít fit move on and find something else. A manufacturer canít support every system out there and do everything everyone might like. If one could at the price some people want I will be at the head of the line buying 2.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:43 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Regarding lift with a Y6:

6 month ago I was looking at building a Y6 with MK3538 motors (~same figures as Pulso/AXI 2814/22):

thrust with a MK3538 at 25A (max 60s) is 1950 gram with a APC13x6,5 according to diagram at MK wiki.

1950gr x 6 = 11,700 gr.
11,700gr x 78% = 9126 gr. The 78% I got from the german forum for the effectiveness of a Y-config - someone else have any other figure?

9126gr / 2,2 = 4148 gr. The 2.2 is the safety factor for the available thrust (~hovering), also from the german forum.

So we have 4148 gr available for the maximum weight of the Y6.

If we loose one motor, to balance it up we will have only 3 motors to rely on to keep the Y6 balanced, (even if a total of 5 motors will be running the thrust from the pairs has to equal the single motor):
1950gr x3 = 5850gr of available thrust to land the Y6 & fresh battery.

How does this look? Any miscalculations here?

The motor stopped will probably windmill destroying some of the single motor thrust giving a lower total available thrust .....
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Sep 16, 2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:20 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Redundancy is very important in any area were you are liable for the safety of others.
I am just curious on the limited mindset required to develop and produce a product for the "pro" market with "pro" price but with no universal eight motor ability. That's not very "pro" of them is it?
You've just answered your own question, and actually it is very pro of them! They have brought this update out to include being used with Futaba S-Bus about one of the best systems on the market or in your words pro! To be used with a Pro set-up at a Pro price! You wouldn't go buying a Ferrari then stick cheap tyres on it now, would you? (yes they'd work but they wouldn't be the same!)

You are looking at flying an octo so there for I guess you are looking at putting an expensive DSLR camera on it? Because you talk about redundancy and safety. If I'm flying around with that set-up and that expense I'd want/need a pro radio to go with it!

I have been in this RC game many years and have used most TX makes out there and in the past few years there has been some brilliant cheap TX's come out, but they are still not a patch on Futaba, if you want the best then buy the best and they don't come cheap! But then again your looking at DJI and that isn't cheap either! There's a great saying you get what you pay for!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:42 AM
not surprised.........
United Kingdom, Alford
Joined Jan 2005
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
I have been in this RC game many years and have used most TX makes out there and in the past few years there has been some brilliant cheap TX's come out, but they are still not a patch on Futaba, if you want the best then buy the best and they don't come cheap! But then again your looking at DJI and that isn't cheap either! There's a great saying you get what you pay for!

+1 on that, been into R/C since 1989 and always went back to Futaba even after the lure of the cheaper fuller functioned radios came out.

Had my Futaba 9C since it first came out and never had the need for anything else, it may be old now but it still exudes quality and has NEVER EVER let me down, its only had a lipo battery added , then recently updated to 2.4 with a FrSky module and FrSky receiver.

Buy properly buy once.....
CaLviNx is offline Find More Posts by CaLviNx