HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
The black wire is giving a direct ground for the signal wire, you really should use it.
Ill pop it back in to be on the safe side, nothing wrong with airing on caution
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:26 PM
korea
Joined Jun 2010
153 Posts
how to lower the version???

hello,

I upgraded to 5.14 and 1.32...

and just like some said...it spins automatically...I was panicked

and try to throttle...it flipped...oh my god! wkm never flipped...

after removing props...gimbal acts crazy...looks like brown out thing happen.

so decided to lower the version...

but wiki gave 1.28, 1.30 but still 5.14 and can't go back to 5.08 etc...

what shall I do?
toeickris is offline Find More Posts by toeickris
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
939 Posts
Quote:
The manual states,
Tarro & Davebbb, with respect to removing the "red" pin from each ESC lead before attaching
it to the correct motor number on your NAZA/WKM, the following was the suggestion that was
made to me and the reason for it;

"For MRC use it is wise to remove the red center wire, which provides the BEC voltage, from each
ESC lead. This is not necessary with DJI NAZA or WKM since the PMU provides this function.
I find it is best to just remove the red pin from the connector end and not to cut the red wire.
This way, you can always just re-insert the pin if necessary. Each removed red wire pin must be
individually taped or covered with shrink wrap because they each provide a separate +5v supply
from the ESC. Do not tape them all together! The two outer ESC wires (usually orange/yellow
and brown/black) that connect to the NAZA/WKM motor channels, are signal and ground."

Now this makes sense to me and I hope it helps you guys.
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
I don't think that anyone with experience recommended "cutting" the red wire. You still need them if you want to calibrate them individually later. Thanks for your post to remind everyone.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I don't think that anyone with experience recommended "cutting" the red wire. You still need them if you want to calibrate them individually later. Thanks for your post to remind everyone.
I just pull the pin out and shrink wrap it.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:35 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,293 Posts
Quote:
I just pull the pin out and shrink wrap it.
Good advice and what I do.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:51 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
I have a load of 6 & 18 inch servo extensions cables with the red wire removed (my multis are pretty big and I usually need an extension to get from the FC to the ESCs anyway)
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:27 AM
Geneva, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2009
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toeickris View Post
hello,

I upgraded to 5.14 and 1.32...

and just like some said...it spins automatically...I was panicked

and try to throttle...it flipped...oh my god! wkm never flipped...

after removing props...gimbal acts crazy...looks like brown out thing happen.

so decided to lower the version...

but wiki gave 1.28, 1.30 but still 5.14 and can't go back to 5.08 etc...

what shall I do?
Have a look there:
http://www.traderc.com/djiwkm/DJI%20WKM/
helicoblast is online now Find More Posts by helicoblast
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
900 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have done this to try to solve the problems I had with the Flat Octo. It still is very unstable in the wind. It is a large octo, 1100mm with QC3328 motors it cost over $5k and I can't trust the WKM to keep it in the air. I am switching to MK.
Hi Tarro,

The reason that the Mikrokopters perform well in the wind is because of the ESCís that they use. Their Escís use the I2C protocol which gives them a higher transfer rate of the signals coming from the flight control computer to the motors so that they can react faster & keep the aircraft more stable. The slower the reaction rate & the heavier the props are the less stable your multi-rotor will be, especially in the wind.
I flew Mikrokopters for quite a while until the WK-M system came out. On my very first flight with the WK-M, using stock Maytech 30amp ESCís, it flew very nicely in calm skies, but as soon as a gust came along, (not more than 15mph), it became unstable & almost flipped & crashed. I was shocked & couldnít figure out why that happened, but then I started reading up on ESCís & firmware & learned about the SimonK firmware. After reprogramming the microprocessor in the ESCís with the SimonK firmware, it became a different machine & handled the wind very well. This was due to the increase in the speed of the communication going through the ESCís between the flight control computer & the motors.
If you are using normal stock ESCís this may be the reason that your octo is unstable in the wind. Perhaps an ESC with modified firmware (SimonK) or the Castle Creations ESCís with their special multi-rotor firmware may solve your problem like they did for me.

Regards,
Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Last edited by tkeeg; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Thanks for the help Tom. I am using ESC's with the SimonK firmware.
http://www.quadroufo.com/product_inf...products_id=37
I just got done testing a different IMU on the Octo to see if that was the problem, it made no difference. She flys fine in calm air, as soon as the wind picks up, she wobbles and I get White flashing and then she get very unstable.
The problem maybe the prop size, SF 14X4.7 on 4s, I am going to try different size props and 6cell batteries.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
I've noticed that the WK-M doesn't seem to be that stable in high winds when using those popular size motors, 700-770kv, the axi type. I built an octo around my old mk octo xl frame, with axi motors. Very nice when flown in no wind conditions. But when there's a little bit of a breeze, it becomes unstable and oscillates. I always have gains on my slider so I could tune on the fly. Still the same even with lowered gains. The only recourse on this setup seems to be changing the props to a much smaller ones. The graupner 11x5s seem to work very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VhifKG-fz8

After seeing the 6s builds by EndOfDays and Tony of RCDrones, I decided to build a big octo with low KV and 6s using 14-15 inch props. I bought the RCTimer 360kv and RCTiger 3515-15s and some graupner 14x8s and foxtech 15x7s. Really nice and stable. Even in a windy situation. I can dare say almost as stable as my MK Octo xl in the high winds. I've shot a couple of drifting races and some real estate stuff and so far I'm really happy with it.
My current DIY frame 1000mm size is a bit heavy. I'll place an order on a carbon core soon.

I shot this in a quite windy day.
https://vimeo.com/49608293
That last video is really nice.

I love the Tiger MT3535-15 motors on 6s spinning Graupner 14" props.

@ Tarro why do you keep blaming the WKM for your bad choice of prop/motor/battery combo?

If you are overpropped and underpowered your gonna have wobbles.

Thats not the FC's fault LOL.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:25 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
That last video is really nice.

I love the Tiger MT3535-15 motors on 6s spinning Graupner 14" props.

@ Tarro why do you keep blaming the WKM for your bad choice of prop/motor/battery combo?

If you are overpropped and underpowered your gonna have wobbles.

Thats not the FC's fault LOL.
I just got done testing with 12X4.7 props and she flew great in the wind. Very little wobble and no White flashes. I flew for 6 minutes and when I came in to land at about 6 feet up she total flipped and I mean flipped, no banking or anything just flipped and crashed. This is an Octo so if there was a motor fauler it would not of just flipped.
I am still in shock, this is getting very expensive.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:
I just got done testing with 12X4.7 props and she flew great in the wind. Very little wobble and no White flashes. I flew for 6 minutes and when I came in to land at about 6 feet up she total flipped and I mean flipped, no banking or anything just flipped and crashed. This is an Octo so if there was a motor fauler it would not of just flipped.
I am still in shock, this is getting very expensive.
Post your gains and what version FW are you using?

I can honestly say I have never had a flip on any multi using a Naza or WKM out of atleast 50 builds.

I know there was an older version FW that caused octos to flip though.

Make sure when you charge your batts you check to see how much mAh you put in.

Just to make sure you didnt run them down or have a bad cell.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Post your gains and what version FW are you using?

I can honestly say I have never had a flip on any multi using a Naza or WKM out of atleast 50 builds.

I know there was an older version FW that caused octos to flip though.

Make sure when you charge your batts you check to see how much mAh you put in.

Just to make sure you didnt run them down or have a bad cell.
Thanks for the help brother.
FW is 5.12 and the WKM is V2 I check it with a meter last night.
The batteries are new set of Gens Ace 5300 4s, they have plenty of juice left in them.The Basic gain is around 150 adjustable on a dial, the Atti is 150.
This was not a Motor or ESC issue, I heard her motors jump and she total flipped. I was 6 feet up and she landed upside down, I could not have done that if I tried with a bird this big especially in Atti mod.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
Okay, time to chime in again. I fly a large octo (around 110cm in diameter, never actually measured ) with large Hacker 700KV-motors and now Graupner 14x8"-props with the Wookong.

It took a long time, I confess, but I am a very happy user in the meantime.

I bought the Wookong November last year so it was one of the first and first I had all the problems you guys describe, i.e. wobbly behaviour, white LED madness, GPS problems. So I decided to tune and test that thing (flew on 13x6,5" APC in the beginning). After many hours of testing and flying I got that thing dialed in perfectly and not only in calm conditions. It even held its position nicely on a day with very rough winds. Tuning of the advanced settings in the assistant software made it react smoothly to gusts of wind.

Just 3 weeks ago I have been in the Swiss alps on a height of over 2000m and since the weather decided to not work with us I had to take the chance to fly in really harsh weather conditions with strong wind gusts, turbulences, clouds (but luckily no rain ). I was really amazed by the footage generated (not publicly released yet) and I am not using the Zenmuse. During times I had to tilt that thing 30į or more just to move against the wind!

Just now after contacting DJI over my dealer I received a replacement GPS and MC as I did have the first versions and did a very quick test flight of only around 1 minute in the garden with it and it seems to behave even better than before but I will have to confirm that in further test flights.

So, yes, the Wookong has its fair share of problems but it is possible to tune it for a satisfactory result.

I am flying stock Hobbywing FlyFun ESC and luckily it never flipped but I once had to bring it down rather forcefully because it wouldn't react like it should.

Ah, forgot: firmware is 5.12a at the moment and I will only update when only positive results are posted . So I did before upgrading to 5.12a. The new MC had 5.14a on it which I downgraded.
Knilch is offline Find More Posts by Knilch