HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,980 Posts
i have often thought that the white flashes could very well stem from something loose inside the IMU. As we know it is cusioned on it's on isolation mount. If it were slightly off from this mount it's possible something is touching the sides of the unit causing a vibration = error and if it gets bad enough crash... like mine...

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
In may I was part if a DARPA UAV competition and I was using the full wookong waypoint kit. We kept running Into issues with losing RC control, flying 2.5miles away and trying to land on a roof with a forest between you will do that, we had it set up for hold last position. Only problem was we would toilet bowl so bad we crashed every time and would require several hours, one crash required a full tear down and rebuild, and because of that we could do as many flight as we're possible. This was the same time replacement GPS units were being sent to the Southern Hemisphere. I email DJI about it and was told I would get a new GPS to sole my problem. Several months later I emailed them again and was told I just need to turn my GPS counter to the toilet bowl to fix it. I did that and still have the same issues. I emailed DJI and never heard anything back, what can I do to get a replacement GPS unit to fix this as I have people looking at purchasing my UAV and need a solution. Also have been noticing white flashing more and more since the crashes.
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Last edited by Sniperp; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
i have often thought that the white flashes could very well stem from something loose inside the IMU. As we know it is cushioned on it's on isolation mount. If it were slightly off from this mount it's possible something is touching the sides of the unit causing a vibration = error and if it gets bad enough crash... like mine...

Steve
so many possibilities,
MY IMU is sitting in a place on my set up where nothing touches it.
I have all wires ran so they are away from it. It has been flying fine with 5.12a but the moment I fired it up outside with the 5.14 the white flashes started after the upgrade. UPGRADE, hmmm interesting word..
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperp View Post
In may I was part if a DARPA UAV competition and I was using the full wookong waypoint kit. We kept running Into issues with losing RC control, flying 2.5miles away and trying to land on a roof with a forest between you will do that, we had it set up for hold last position. Only problem was we would toilet bowl so bad we crashed every time and would require several hours, one crash required a full tear down and rebuild, and because of that we could do as many flight as we're possible. This was the same time replacement GPS units were being sent to the Southern Hemisphere. I email DJI about it and was told I would get a new GPS to sole my problem. Several months later I emailed them again and was told I just need to turn my GPS counter to the toilet bowl to fix it. I did that and still have the same issues. I emailed DJI and never heard anything back, what can I do to get a replacement GPS unit to fix this as I have people looking at purchasing my UAV and need a solution. Also have been noticing white flashing more and more since the crashes.
I remember seeing a DJI message ( I think in the naza board) that states that there is NO NEED to tweak the gps, WKM will compensate itself.
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
896 Posts
Eric,

Thanks for introducing your self and your recent involvement with DJI. For me, your web site tells
me all I need to know about your MRC experience and your cinematography background as well!

Hey Guys, go to helivideo.com and take a look! Tarro is correct, he is the real deal, for sure!
Ohhhhhhhhh.................Yeahhhhhhhhh!!! Trust me, any guy who hangs a Red Epic camera
(about $52,000) on an Octo and flies it around taking video, is a man who's opinion I can respect!
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,226 Posts
I have noticed recently that my octo while in atti mode...some days it will do it once or twice and sometimes not at all...but in gps or atti actually, it will just start tilting like it does not know what or where level is and I have to switch to manual to regain control then switch back to atti after a little bit. I think im running 5.14 still. Going to do some tweaking today.
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I wonder if the problem with Octocopter could be coming from noise on the signal wires going to the FC. With Octos you are running more wires as well as pulling more amps. Maybe the combo is flooding the system with electro magnetic noise?
Just a thought.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:10 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I just got done test ferret rings on all wire lead to the FC and it did not help.
Is anyone having any success with a large octo using WKM?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jan 2006
896 Posts
Tarro, just a thought....did you use any copper tape on your Octo? I saw a post somewhere that said,
the more copper you use the better. It also suggested to shield the ESC leads into the WKM and the
leads between the WKM and the Rx.

Also, did you remove the "red" pins from the ESC leads that go to the motor
side of the WKM?
Papajeff is offline Find More Posts by Papajeff
Last edited by Papajeff; Aug 06, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Hey PapaJeff,
Yes I use copper tape and ferret rings, I went to town with them for the test too. I think an issue is simply the size of this Octo, the WKM does not work on large copters. I am not the only one having a problem with a wobby large copter.
Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajeff View Post
Tarro, just a thought....did you use any copper tape on your Octo? I saw a post somewhere that said,
the more copper you use the better. It also suggested to shield the ESC leads into the WKM and the
leads between the WKM and the Rx.

Also, did you remove the "red" pins from the ESC leads that go to the motor
side of the WKM?
Those pics show a very nice tidy build.
Every thing placed nice and neat.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
I know a lot of folks are running Futaba S.Bus so I wanted to make sure the DJI crowd had an early glance at this package deal.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1749051
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
475 Posts
WKM question

When I take off with my 550 hex, I usually go up and travel away from me. Once I get where I need to be I let up on the right stick. What happens is that once I let up the hex wants to come back to me on its own. It usually takes at least a minute of forward pressure before it stays on its own. Anyone know what I need to do here to make this not happen? Once it is steady, it doesn't travel anywhere on its own.

Jerry
jerrymeister is offline Find More Posts by jerrymeister
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
I remember seeing a DJI message ( I think in the naza board) that states that there is NO NEED to tweak the gps, WKM will compensate itself.
What DJI said was that there was no need to rotate the GPS to account for magnetic deviation but the instruction to rotate the GPS until the aircraft tracks straight forward on application of forward stick still applies (best done in still air as observing the path gets harder if the FC is having to compensate for drift).
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
683 Posts
Seems to be a lot of problems w/ the Octo setup. Has anyone tried pairing motors and running an octo in a Quad + format?
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member