HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
That is good to hear someone else vouch for him, but the comment "flat octo" isn't RCG lingo. It has been around for half a decade or more when MK started.

I'll always welcome more assistance, but to tout you are supporting DJI's "Pro" line and not know EVERYTHING about it doesn't do much for me.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Eric is a long time AP guy that I have respected since I started on this journey. When I found him and his videos he focused on traditional helis but is now strictly multirotor. I don't for a second doubt his knowledge but wouldn't be surprised if he gets caught up on some RCG lingo at first. Give him some time to get up and running and if anything be thankful he is a direct connection between us and DJI.
Ok, I've looked at there website and they are the real deal. We need anwsers to some basic questions now. I have a mid range Octo build to haul a 5D. I have had a flip last week that I thought was my fault. I have since been told other have had flips with DJI on a flat octo. Is there or is there not a problem?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI TECH 4 View Post
I do not know what a flat Octo is?
Just joking right ???
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:20 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
That is good to hear someone else vouch for him, but the comment "flat octo" isn't RCG lingo. It has been around for half a decade or more when MK started.
Ohh I know it isn't new lingo, but maybe something he isn't familiar with. I called it RCG Lingo because he may not be used to the term and we do have a lot of terms on the forum you don't hear outside of here. If he has bought his own equipment and done all of the research himself using product manuals and real life testing there is a lot that will be new to him.

I am not saying he is brilliant because aside from a quick conversation I don't know him at all, just don't want the typical "HE IS DUMB ON THE INTERNET! DISREGARD EVERYTHING HE SAYS!" to happen because of one particular incident.

I am happy as hell to see someone associated directly with DJI Tech Support (even if it is for profit).

BTW, if any of you watched The River on TV last year... that was his hexa and they did the aerials.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Another 5.14 upgrade warning..

MY Ship.. droidwrox octO HLE8, 2814, 30 dji esc, av130/360, 1245 carbon props

I UPGRADED TO 5.14 YESTERDAY, FIRST FLIGHT I SAW FOR THE FIRST TIME WHITE FLASHES ONCE IN A WHILE.

THE SHIP SEEMED TO WANT TO GO LEFT AND I ALSO HAD FISHBOWL FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH THIS CRAFT.(yes I did the compass)

THEN WHILE FLYING DOWN THE SHORELINE SHOOTING VIDEO IT TOOK OFF AND ROLLED RIGHT ( LARGE ANGLE, out over the water) i HAD TO GO FULL STICK LEFT TO BRING IT JUST PAST LEVEL, KEPT THE STICK OVER FULL LEFT AND IT SLOWLY CAME BACK FROM OVER THE WATER.

ONCE OVER LAND THE CONTROL SLOWLY CAME BACK, I DID A FEW SMALL MOVES WITH IT BUT THERE WERE MANY WHITE FLASHES.

SO I LANDED AND DOWNGRADED THE SOFTWARE back to 5.12a

Just flew with 512a, One white flash on initial take off when GPS locked , then two sets of batteries without seeing the white flash anymore..Also Toilet bowl went away.. Held GPS point much better also.

There is SOMETHING different between the two versions
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Sorry, I have never heard the term Flat Octo. Have not been on forums for a couple of years since we travel world wide shooting tv shows and commercials.

We have always called them Octo, or hexa etc. Or Cinestar 8 for example.

I can tell you the WKM is a very solid controller when properly set as exactly the manual describes. As with anything like this that is bleeding edge, it is constantly being updated and improved.

We highly recommend to always update to the latest firmware.

Like I mentioned we are set up here in Austin to provide support. We get slammed everyday with customers and flying / testing / etc. So if a post goes missed, please understand we are doing our best.

Thanks guys!
DJI TECH 4 is offline Find More Posts by DJI TECH 4
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
MY Ship.. droidwrox octO HLE8, 2814, 30 dji esc, av130/360, 1245 carbon props

I UPGRADED TO 5.14 YESTERDAY, FIRST FLIGHT I SAW FOR THE FIRST TIME WHITE FLASHES ONCE IN A WHILE.

THE SHIP SEEMED TO WANT TO GO LEFT AND I ALSO HAD FISHBOWL FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH THIS CRAFT.(yes I did the compass)

THEN WHILE FLYING DOWN THE SHORELINE SHOOTING VIDEO IT TOOK OFF AND ROLLED RIGHT ( LARGE ANGLE, out over the water) i HAD TO GO FULL STICK LEFT TO BRING IT JUST PAST LEVEL, KEPT THE STICK OVER FULL LEFT AND IT SLOWLY CAME BACK FROM OVER THE WATER.

ONCE OVER LAND THE CONTROL SLOWLY CAME BACK, I DID A FEW SMALL MOVES WITH IT BUT THERE WERE MANY WHITE FLASHES.

SO I LANDED AND DOWNGRADED THE SOFTWARE back to 5.12a

Just flew with 512a, One white flash on initial take off when GPS locked , then two sets of batteries without seeing the white flash anymore..Also Toilet bowl went away.. Held GPS point much better also.

There is SOMETHING different between the two versions
Wow, you are lucky you got it back in one piece. I was hovering with my octo in the backyard and for some reason it just flipped. No time to react, it slammed it to my roof, I had to climb a ladder to get it. I am now using Y connector and running it as a + quad in the assistant.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Here is a little BTS of when we flew some hexa's for ABC a year and a half or so ago.

A BTS edit of the pilot show we did for ABC's " The River" (4 min 15 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
vip
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
DJI tech 4....

Can you address what just happened to me and others with 5.14 software here on the board so we can get a handle on what is up? The white flashes and loss of control seem to be a common thing.

You say to use the latest software but there seems to be serious issues with it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I have never heard the term Flat Octo. Have not been on forums for a couple of years since we travel world wide shooting tv shows and commercials.

We have always called them Octo, or hexa etc. Or Cinestar 8 for example.

I can tell you the WKM is a very solid controller when properly set as exactly the manual describes. As with anything like this that is bleeding edge, it is constantly being updated and improved.

We highly recommend to always update to the latest firmware.

Like I mentioned we are set up here in Austin to provide support. We get slammed everyday with customers and flying / testing / etc. So if a post goes missed, please understand we are doing our best.

Thanks guys!
No offence, but those comments are pretty much a generalization, most things work properly if set up correctly, and most here know how to, the point is, Issues have been voiced, and no one what so ever attempts to either help sort it, or even bother to admit there are problems with various Firmwares.

you always recommend to upgrade? sorry, but i can say that also, but the fact is, some of use did, and some of us went picking up the pieces afterwards, yet nothing from DJI to explain it.

You obviously have not encountered the same problems people are having, so how can you even comment? simple you cant.

No offence, but we need people who actually developed the firmware and designed the DJI products to step in and admit their wrongs, the sad part is, none will.

i have now sent 4 e-mails to DJI support, not one has been replied to.
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Looking into it right now. Our Master tech is at the factory as we speak with the people who wrote the firmware and designed the system.

I have copied your notes and will ask for an answer to see if there is any issues connected with the new firmware and white flashed / loss of control.

Please understand I / we do not have every answer to every issue on the spot, but we are here to support you, find out if there is a problem and get it resolved right away.

Will advise asap.

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
zolpot is offline Find More Posts by zolpot
Last edited by zolpot; Feb 21, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
vip
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Looking into it right now. Our Master tech is at the factory as we speak with the people who wrote the firmware and designed the system.

I have copied your notes and will ask for an answer to see if there is any issues connected with the new firmware and white flashed / loss of control.

Please understand I / we do not have every answer to every issue on the spot, but we are here to support you, find out if there is a problem and get it resolved right away.

Will advise asap.

Thanks
thanks for the follow up, guess we will wait and see what they say
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:

Will advise asap.

Thanks
Great now we're getting somewhere.
Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:40 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post

SO I LANDED AND DOWNGRADED THE SOFTWARE
Just a random question but were you flying in GPS mode during this? The last couple of days have had some pretty severe solar storms which aren't friends with GPS data.

http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways