SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
Registered Lunatic
RTRyder's Avatar
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I was told that the Re- Flashed ESC's don't need to be calibrated. Is that true?
Other then this issue it is flying great.
No, the last couple versions of Simons code has a throttle calibration routine in it. I just finished a TBS Discovery build using a Naza with reflashed DYS I had on another quad. Had the same problem with random starting and stopping of motors until I disconnected all the ESCs and did individual throttle calibrations via direct connect to the throttle port on the RX. I also had to increase the throttle endpoints to 110 on each end to get one of them to calibrate so I made sure to do all of them at that setting.

After doing that all motors start at the same time and I haven't seen any issues with one wanting to stop after spin up like I did before. I also was able to turn the motor idle down in the Assistant software from recommend to the next lowest notch after doing the calibration. Do it, it can't hurt anything and will probably fix the problem.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Wow, thanks a lot, Ken at Quadroufo told me no need to do it so I did not. I am very lucky this is an Octo because one of the motor stopped in flight. That could have been very bad.
Thank you.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Last edited by Tarro; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Ok, that was the issue, so the new re-flashed DYI ESC's may need to be calibrated. I would have been pissed if this caused a crash.
Thanks RTRyder.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:07 AM
Registered User
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jul 2012
482 Posts
hi guys, i am begineer and am still learing a few things.. I have got wookong m and it flys excellent in GPS mode. I havent flown in ATTI mode or in the manual mode. I have read the manual but i dont understand what the ATTI mode does.. I understand that with GPS if you let go of the sticks, the quad will stay in one place (or will try to).. What is the benifit of ATTI? Also what about the manual mode? I am mainly interested in aerial pics... .

Where can i use the Atti mode also what about the manual mode? Do they have any advantages? Disadvantages? If i use the manual mode, will i save the battery??
ahtiram is offline Find More Posts by ahtiram
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:18 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtiram View Post
hi guys, i am begineer and am still learing a few things.. I have got wookong m and it flys excellent in GPS mode. I havent flown in ATTI mode or in the manual mode. I have read the manual but i dont understand what the ATTI mode does.. I understand that with GPS if you let go of the sticks, the quad will stay in one place (or will try to).. What is the benifit of ATTI? Also what about the manual mode? I am mainly interested in aerial pics... .

Where can i use the Atti mode also what about the manual mode? Do they have any advantages? Disadvantages? If i use the manual mode, will i save the battery??
GPS = GPS positioning and Altitude assistance
ATTI = Altitude Hold
MAN = You are on your own

You are correct, in GPS if the wind blows the craft will do it's best to hold position. In ATTI mode the craft will do it's best to hold it's altitude. When you are flying forward, it will automatically increase the throttle and keep you at the same height. There is no assistance to keep you in one place on a horizontal plane, just vertical. Manual mode is just that, you have to manually do the work to keep yourself in one position AND/OR at one height.

Will one save your battery? Possibly. I noticed a drop in battery life after plugging my GPS into my Naza and I can see how ATTI can consume more battery than Manual if the motors are constantly having to correct in a hover. Will you notice a big improvement between the three? Probably not if you have a well balanced machine with your gains dialed in perfectly.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:28 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
GPS = GPS positioning and Altitude assistance
ATTI = Altitude Hold
MAN = You are on your own

You are correct, in GPS if the wind blows the craft will do it's best to hold position. In ATTI mode the craft will do it's best to hold it's altitude. When you are flying forward, it will automatically increase the throttle and keep you at the same height. There is no assistance to keep you in one place on a horizontal plane, just vertical. Manual mode is just that, you have to manually do the work to keep yourself in one position AND/OR at one height.
Will one save your battery? Possibly. I noticed a drop in battery life after plugging my GPS into my Naza and I can see how ATTI can consume more battery than Manual if the motors are constantly having to correct in a hover. Will you notice a big improvement between the three? Probably not if you have a well balanced machine with your gains dialed in perfectly.
Wrong, Atti mode is auto level, Manual mode you have you manual keep the copter level.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:49 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Wrong, Atti mode is auto level, Manual mode you have you manual keep the copter level.
Actually I do not know what is wrong in my statement. In ATTI the FC does hold itself at altitude (at 50% throttle) and in Manual you have to do the work yourself. Autolevel is self explanatory if the FC is keeping you at a particular altitude. Yes I understand that ATTI stands for Attitude, but what he is looking for is what does it do and that is Altitude hold.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:40 AM
Registered User
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jul 2012
482 Posts
does manual mode has any advantages??
ahtiram is offline Find More Posts by ahtiram
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:55 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtiram View Post
does manual mode has any advantages??
Smooth flying without worrying about gains. More control without worry about the FC having a brain of it's own. It's fun.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:51 AM
Registered Aircraft Crasher
United States, CO, Calhan
Joined Oct 2004
129 Posts
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtiram View Post
does manual mode has any advantages??
I wouldn't recommend this unless you have some flight experience with a r/c helicopter.
If you don't know what you're doing... your multi can get out of control real fast in manual mode.


Best Of Luck!



.
MaNDoWn is offline Find More Posts by MaNDoWn
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:58 PM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,132 Posts
DYS is a poor esc IMHO... it does not have an external oscilator so you will have poor throttle calibration and also temperatures drifts...

if you adjust your idle to 3/4 in the DJI software they will all start up together.

why one stopped in mid flight is beyond me... there is no over current protection on simonk firmware so the esc will just burn and not work again...

Hope you resolve it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I have a new octo with QC 3328 motors and DYS 30a ESC flashed with SimonK. When I arm the octo not all the motors start up and some of them don't start to spin until the copter is about to take off. Today one of the motors stop in midflight. What could be causing this?
Thanks.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:59 PM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,132 Posts
No you NEED to do the throttle calibration....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I was told that the Re- Flashed ESC's don't need to be calibrated. Is that true?
Other then this issue it is flying great.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:51 PM
vip
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
version 5.14 question, are ya happy?

this should be a poll... maybe send me a pm and I will tally .
The question is , Are 5.14 users happy?

Seems discussion has settled down on the topic.
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:52 PM
Registered User
Panza's Avatar
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
I think a few people want now to test dji new FW's....
How many tested and happy in 5.14 (We remember in 5.14a, crashs with uncontrolled drifts in atti)
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:22 PM
Registered User
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,132 Posts
yup I am not moving from 5.12

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ballistic Recovery System for Multirotors Duck! Aerial Photography 65 Feb 26, 2014 10:58 PM
Discussion DJI - WooKong eStab for Scale sidneyw Scale Helicopters 97 Dec 30, 2012 11:48 AM
Discussion FY3ZT Autopilot for Aerial Photography feiyudz Aerial Photography 116 May 07, 2012 05:58 PM
Discussion DJI AceOne autopilot for sale... hazchem88 Aerial Photography 4 Mar 31, 2011 04:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 12:43 PM