HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Normal reaction. Without gps, failsave is hovering in place. And after ? Autoland if you use the dji volt alert. Crash else.
How's it going to hover in place without GPS? At the very least it will blow downwind.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
That's true Ed but 5.12 is known to have problemswith octos - so an octo user has a choice between Beta firmware which MIGHT have problems and officially released F/W which definitely does have problems (or go right back to 5.08).

I guess there's a bit of midnight oil being burned at DJI atm.
RedSky, you are right. They are trying to sort out all the variations with the WKM. I am willing to take the risk associated with the Beta software, but I understand those that don't want to take the jump. I may get there when I have my Z15 and Nex5N attached.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
@RedSky : yes "in place" is big word. Lol. I would said in place in Atti mode
@TahoeEd&RedSky : I don"t know if 5.12A is bugged. But 5.12a came out after 5.12 and correct the octo in trad issue.
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:11 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post
Hi, I wonder if any of you gurus can answer this question for me.
I have a 40A Maytech S-BEC esc.
With the WKM I don't need the red wire so I take it off.
Now. can I use the Maytech 40A OPTO V1 with the rest of the S-BEC's?
I have 6 of the Sbec and 2 of the Opto.

thanks
Anybody?????
bcollydas is online now Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
only if you are sure this is the same ESC caract with the same pulses, etc... so yes.
recalibrate all the esc before fly. Or ask maytech if it is exactly the same ESC functions in v1 & v2
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
big crash

I had a major crash yesterday, again the hex was heading forward on its own and I was fighting it. I was pulling full back and it went forward then flipped up side down and drove into the ground. I have a video Ill post of the crash.
hex crash (1 min 41 sec)

I took off and flew forward and was coming strait back. it did not want to come back at 30 sec. I got it to come back a little when it took complete control and headed forward fast 1:20, I was pulling back and letting off a little because that seemed to slow it down a little.

this was all in atti except for the last few sec when i switched to manual with no input from me it flipped and crashed

broke 4 arms, 4 motor mounts, gimbal, all props (cheap ones luckily) and I assume I will need all new motors.

anyone have a recommendation for a new gimbal? I was using this one

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-2-axis/Detail

I have been flying a gopro then a nex5n and at some point I want to fly my 7d but not for a while so I am staying cheap for now.

any ideas on what happened?
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewlavin View Post
If you were in atti mode only then It sounds like a bit of wind pushed your copter.
there was a little wind but not enough to do that.
jabtyler is offline Find More Posts by jabtyler
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
video viewed...
I really think :
1) your gains are too low
2) your idle motor speed is too low in the assistant

Wee see and ear the blance due to some to importants diff between motors to speed up, and those to speed down.
All you flight is unstable, we see. A wk is better that that.

And ? 1 min before chash, at 27s, is it volontary the higth speed in rear ?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
My money is on a bullet connector/motor/esc failure. It was failing and giving you signals something was wrong, why didn't you land? I'm not positive how it works but doesn't it kill the motors when you tip over 45degrees? If it failed and you tipped at 1:20 it explains the motors all but stopping and it just carried the momentum till you hit the ground.

Also could have been a failed battery/cell. I accidentally ran one down too much and I lost power similar to that.I was coming in to land and I lost power then gained some back then lost more. Good thing I was 6ft off the ground but I can see it ending like this with a battery failure because once on the ground I had the juice to spin the motors, just not fast enough to climb. Multiple motors lose power, tips and sends it forward, then all lose power, then you get some juice to slowly spin the motors and level itself before impact.

Now that I walk through it... I can almost guarantee it was battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabtyler View Post
I had a major crash yesterday, again the hex was heading forward on its own and I was fighting it. I was pulling full back and it went forward then flipped up side down and drove into the ground. I have a video Ill post of the crash. http://youtu.be/ZVjNcFwBhDI

I took off and flew forward and was coming strait back. it did not want to come back at 30 sec. I got it to come back a little when it took complete control and headed forward fast 1:20, I was pulling back and letting off a little because that seemed to slow it down a little.

this was all in atti except for the last few sec when i switched to manual with no input from me it flipped and crashed

broke 4 arms, 4 motor mounts, gimbal, all props (cheap ones luckily) and I assume I will need all new motors.

anyone have a recommendation for a new gimbal? I was using this one

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-2-axis/Detail

I have been flying a gopro then a nex5n and at some point I want to fly my 7d but not for a while so I am staying cheap for now.

any ideas on what happened?
thanks

there was a little wind but not enough to do that.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
USA, CA, Pollock Pines
Joined Jan 2011
158 Posts
This may not be the right place to post this but since I do use the GoPro on my WK-M/Rusty's frame and have killed a few of them and maybe some of you have done the same.

I found this place that does repairs at a flat rate of $75 for the GoPro 2 and they have a quick turn around rate......http://www.goprorepair.com/

I just shipped mine off to them and will let you all know how it went.......$75 bucks is sure a lot better than dropping $300 again......that was my 3rd GoPro.

-Don
bendicks is offline Find More Posts by bendicks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:22 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,028 Posts
sony has a sports cam coming out that will kill the go pro and it's 199$

I am not wasting another dime on my go pro... never been happy with it

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...e-00003d99a33e
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
sony has a sports cam coming out that will kill the go pro and it's 199$

I am not wasting another dime on my go pro... never been happy with it

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...e-00003d99a33e
Don't jump the gun to quic with the quote Will Kill the GOPRO there is a thread just about that and with all the data in and some beta feild test its looking like the gopro has it beat in alot of ways.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680080
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
USA, CA, Pollock Pines
Joined Jan 2011
158 Posts
I looked at the new sony and was ready do the pre-order but it does not appear to do the software video flip (my cam is mounted upside down) also does no appear to have live video out ( I use my GoPro as my FPV cam also), the lens on the waterproof case can not be replaced....have to get a whole new case ($35)....only $19 for 2 GoPro replacement lenes, got my last set for $15.

Personally I have been real happy with the GoPro especially the newest version and they are a very tough cam but sometime Murphy's Law will strike even the best of equipment.

-Don

Edit to correct a price.
bendicks is offline Find More Posts by bendicks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,896 Posts
Watch for a new GoPro mid to end of October.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
only if you are sure this is the same ESC caract with the same pulses, etc... so yes.
recalibrate all the esc before fly. Or ask maytech if it is exactly the same ESC functions in v1 & v2
Thanks Panza will do that..

Bill
bcollydas is online now Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Out of interest, just tried 1.32 assistant and 5.14a,

Well, the Assistant seemed to have loads of issues, one main one being TX calibration, it just would not calibrate the sticks at all, everytime 3 or 4 points away from centre, when it did finally calibrate, i reset the gains to default, and took the Quad out back, useless, one motor started up very late and near flipped it, 2nd to 3rd try two motors were late starting up, and on default settings, was wandering all over the place, raised them, seemed better.

went back to 130 with 5.12, all good again, except i still now have one motor starting a little to late, but its not always the same motor, any ideas on why this is happening?

cheers
Davebbb is offline Find More Posts by Davebbb