HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:52 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
How do you test with no video results? If you just want to see it move you can do it on the ground holding it with your hands
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Jul 2007
35 Posts
FYI... all 3 birds crashed on the 2nd or 3rd flight after updating to 5.14a. My first flight was just over 6 mins... it wobbled a little during come home (which I think is the ESC deciding to cut out but did not) but did not crash and landed okay with a little bounce when it hit the ground. Second flight... it came home okay with a little wobble (after about 5mins of GS controlled flight) and on landing at 5ft or so... wobbled twice and crashed.

The other CX4 is similar and crashed on the 3rd flight (all 3 flights around 5min). First 2 flights was at the field in the morning and 3rd flight when it crashed was in the afternoon (about 4 to 5hrs later) at home in the yard. On last flight... it was under GPS control (did not use failsafe). It wobbled a few times during hovering at around 10' or so... on GPS mode landing... it wobbled a few times and crashed. The pic of the ESC was from this CX4.

The Octo... crashed on the 2nd flight as well under similar circumstances.

We checked the ESC and motors with a temp gun because we noticed the motor 1 and 3 were hotter than normal and the ESC was above 130 degrees after a min or 2 of landing. the motors... forgot the temp but 1 and 3 was almost too hot to touch right after landing.

It's been pretty hot (above 90 degrees) so I think the weather combined with over heated ESC shut down the ESC/Motor. That's the best conclusion we can come up with.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH320 View Post
My ESC's appear to be fine Although it all happened so fast i will admit tht i never thought to check them. Considering i had already had two five minute flights then a break of about 3 hrs before the third flight of 30 sec I doubt it was the ESC's overheating.
I have spoken with my DJI rep and he has forwarded my incident onto DJI, preliminary thoughts is an IMU issue so we will see.
apeman88 is offline Find More Posts by apeman88
Last edited by apeman88; Sep 09, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,503 Posts
I just want to post here that BETA means just that. It is for testing, and has not been finalized. You try it at your own risk. Right now 5.12 is only officially released software. If you want to wait, then do so, please. It is better to wait until the software is finalized than try something that will cost you a lot of money if it fails with your set up. USER BEWARE!!!! You are in control. I have tested most of the beta software, at my own risk. I don't expect DJI to support my losses if they occur. Fortunately, I have had good results with the BETA software. However, my experience is not typical based on the posts by others in the forums. I don't want anyone to go into an upgrade supposing a spectacular result, it may not happen for you.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:32 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
439 Posts
Thanks for the input, sorry to hear of all the beta crashes, but Tahoe Ed is absolutely right.. im building a new flat octo, & after reading the last few pages here i reckon ive decided to go with v5.10 firmware to be sure.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:41 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts
Please share your experience with the 5.10

(I think you are referring to 5.08, there is no 5.10)

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:54 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
yeah you are right about the beta. i hadn't even contemplated that!
ah well, hindsight is a great thing! In this line of work crashes are to be expected. I'm just happy its rebuildable and it didn't occur 30m in the air!

I am now going to build a carbon crash cage for the camera. I would rather destroy the gimbal than a Sony FS700! It won't help in a major crash but these minor crashes could still easy shear the lens from the body.
MikeH320 is offline Find More Posts by MikeH320
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined May 2011
439 Posts
Just read that "5.12 fixes the problem that Octocopter can’t be used with traditional receiver in the firmware version 5.10". Ha looks like im going to be using v5.12, So much info floating about makes it hard to make a educated decision.. lol.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:27 PM
Support yer local CharlieSheen
Joined May 2011
1,002 Posts
So I just put the replacement IMU and MC on one of my quads. Did the lates firmware update. Dialed it all in. It flew O.K., held fairly well in GPS lock, but when I stop rotating one way or the other it suddenly pitches and/or yaws wickedly for a few seconds until I clam it down with some quick thumbwork, then its back to smooth hover. Anyone seen this?

Edit: Found problem, motor 2 out of balance, at high rpm wicked vibration occurs causing pitch/roll to forward left. (crash damage I guess)
isaacintheclouds is offline Find More Posts by isaacintheclouds
Last edited by isaacintheclouds; Sep 10, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
NO IT DOES NOT FIX THAT PROBLEM!!!!

5.12a fixes that issue. There were plenty of crash reports under 5.12 with traditional receivers which is why they released 5.12a.

FWIW, We moved to PPM Sum from 5.12a and it's worked very well.

I dare not move to 5.14 as there's no significant new features, and yet again, there's to many unknowns.

IMO 5.12a and PPM Sum is the way to go at this stage, but YMMV and it's your choice people.

Cheers

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg View Post
Just read that "5.12 fixes the problem that Octocopter can’t be used with traditional receiver in the firmware version 5.10". Ha looks like im going to be using v5.12, So much info floating about makes it hard to make a educated decision.. lol.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2011
439 Posts
Thanks, Matt, ., so 5.12a is the stable octo firmware ATM, Was 12a released AFTER 12 then.? Im using traditional tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
NO IT DOES NOT FIX THAT PROBLEM!!!!

5.12a fixes that issue. There were plenty of crash reports under 5.12 with traditional receivers which is why they released 5.12a.

FWIW, We moved to PPM Sum from 5.12a and it's worked very well.

I dare not move to 5.14 as there's no significant new features, and yet again, there's to many unknowns.

IMO 5.12a and PPM Sum is the way to go at this stage, but YMMV and it's your choice people.

Cheers

Matt
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
From what I understand, 5.12a was released after a number of people had "difficulties" with Flat Octa and Traditional Receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg View Post
Thanks, Matt, ., so 5.12a is the stable octo firmware ATM, Was 12a released AFTER 12 then.? Im using traditional tx.
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Jul 2012
61 Posts
Fly a y6 with Tiger Motor 3506 and 14x8 Graupner Props with 3s 6000mAh all over starting weight with camera and gimble 3kg. Have the same problems since 5.14a. Got the roll and tilt on one knob while test flying. Breaks out slowly and only in hovering also some white flashes also but didn't seem to effect anything. Rc is Spectrum using traditional.
Wich is the last official stable for this 5.06?

Greetings Marc
MarcCam is offline Find More Posts by MarcCam
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Brasil, PE, Gravatá
Joined Apr 2004
73 Posts
Whit 5.12 I had serious problems with hexacopter that without any command the motor arms on the ground automatically launching the Hexa to the left side and broke two propellers.
I regressed to 5.08 until there is a firmwere without bugs.
My receiver is Futaba S-Bus and my hexacopter already flight many times and never had any problems before.
The versions 5.12, 5.12a 5.14a are not working properly. Instead of releasing new features, the DJI should fix the problems reported by customers.
Harpia is offline Find More Posts by Harpia
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
355 Posts
Las official is 5.12 (not beta)
Since 5.12, there is 5.12a beta (after, yes) and 5.14a beta
DJI seems to be unable to do a stable version, for the moment...
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
Brasil, PE, Gravatá
Joined Apr 2004
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcCam View Post
Fly a y6 with Tiger Motor 3506 and 14x8 Graupner Props with 3s 6000mAh all over starting weight with camera and gimble 3kg. Have the same problems since 5.14a. Got the roll and tilt on one knob while test flying. Breaks out slowly and only in hovering also some white flashes also but didn't seem to effect anything. Rc is Spectrum using traditional.
Wich is the last official stable for this 5.06?

Greetings Marc
Marc

5.08 is the only stable version. I would not install any other version.
Harpia is offline Find More Posts by Harpia
Last edited by Harpia; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:09 AM.