Wookong M X6 temperature problem

Hello !
I have the following setup:
X6
Frame selfmade, 800mm
Highmodel Sunnysky 2814, 1100kV
APC 12x6
Hobbyking 40 A Plush
Last weekend I had a crash with my X6 Wookong M. Looked like 1 motor (1 think it was No. 5 which is rotating CCW) stopped working because controller shut down due to overheat. The copter drifted right side backwards and crashed. I have also a onboard video of the crash available. Wookong M shows no damage.
Now I rebuilt the whole thing and made some improvements etc.
Yesterday I restarted the copter and wanted to do a first testflight.
It flys but drifts much more around compared to the stetup before the crash. GPS mode is also very unstable.
After landing I found that the motors and controllers which work in CCW direction (1,3,5) were very hot while the CW working ones (2,4,6) were only warm !!
Has anyone of you exerienced the same problem ?!
I hope very much for your input/solution to my problem !
Thank you !
rdlalf is offline Find More Posts by rdlalf
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:51 AM
Brasil, PE, Gravatá
Joined Apr 2004
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlalf View Post
Hello !

After landing I found that the motors and controllers which work in CCW direction (1,3,5) were very hot while the CW working ones (2,4,6) were only warm !!

Thank you !
It is indicating that they are doing more work. If it's all the CCW motors, then maybe they are working hard to resist a constant CW yaw produced? Misaligned CW motor(s), misaligned arms, off-centre CoG?

You are using 1100 Kv motors, are not very high KV for a 12x6 propeller?

Try to insert data from your equipment on xcopterCalc (by Markus Müller) and see the approximate result. It is an excellent tool.
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm
Harpia is offline Find More Posts by Harpia
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlalf View Post
Hello !
I have the following setup:
X6
Frame selfmade, 800mm
Highmodel Sunnysky 2814, 1100kV
APC 12x6
Hobbyking 40 A Plush
Last weekend I had a crash with my X6 Wookong M. Looked like 1 motor (1 think it was No. 5 which is rotating CCW) stopped working because controller shut down due to overheat. The copter drifted right side backwards and crashed. I have also a onboard video of the crash available. Wookong M shows no damage.
Now I rebuilt the whole thing and made some improvements etc.
Yesterday I restarted the copter and wanted to do a first testflight.
It flys but drifts much more around compared to the stetup before the crash. GPS mode is also very unstable.
Has anyone of you exerienced the same problem ?!
I hope very much for your input/solution to my problem !
Thank you !

Please :
- wich firmware version of wookong m ?
- wich wookong ? The old one one the new one ? The old one has some incorrect resistance on some M... (This is S800 ESC crash and issues that show in fact some WK issues) (did you see the video of wk test ?)
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:16 PM
Austria
Joined Nov 2010
38 Posts
Firmware is 5.12a
Old or new Wookong I don´t know. I bought the Wookong end of April 2012 at MAMO models in Germany.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Austria
Joined Nov 2010
38 Posts
Harpias remarks have been very useful ! Thank you!
I did a new, more accurate alignment of the motors in relation to the baseplate. The newest tests showed almost the same temperature on all 6 controllers and the 6 motors. So it seems that the alignment of the motors is very sensitive regarding the overall performance.
It is also meanwhile clear that the 2814 1100 kV motors + 40 A controllers are not the best choice in combination with 12x6 props. eCalc helps a lot to optimize.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
... and other flying animals
Joined Apr 2012
217 Posts
No Power at battery connect

Hello at all,

I need help (building up my Y6).

I have two WKM, bought this may. The first one, I use at a f550 with AG Gimbal with no problems.

The second is for a Y6.

My WKM was fully wired (only the motors are not plugged to ESCs) and I did a first test, powering up. everything was fine.

then I connected and saw firmware v14a. had the old version from may. In the description I've read that there should be no power at the system, so that I disconnected battery before updating. but something went wrong. So I connected the battery. One spark (what is normal) at connecting (4S 5000 mAH) and then I had no power. No spark by connecting, Battery is ok at 15,8 V ... have I to send it back? or has anyone had same problem? I would like to push the "reset" button, if I would find .

- Alex

-- edit: problem is solved. power didnt come to the pmu. maybe broken litz cable.
Flying Rabbit is offline Find More Posts by Flying Rabbit
Last edited by Flying Rabbit; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: problem solved
Old Aug 26, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Good Arpia ! Lol Rdlalf : i never imagined you'r motors&props where not aligned
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Hi DJI's

Yes we are sunday... i hope some answer tomorow, about :
------- > 'in 5.14a, is gimball managed as in 5.12 or in 5.12a ???'

And :
-----

I had some very abnormal effets today with the WK in GPS mode : (5.12a)

(- i flyed hundreds miles away, and i calibrate my gps (twice))
i send a POI at take off position (ok 3s green)
i take off in ATTI, fly 10m away. A few sec later i put in GPS.
The X6 was dancing ! left, right, fw, rw, it started to take away on a hard high drift with hard slant.
I was nearly at full sticks on the Tx to manage the hexa !
3 sec later (and juste before a possible crash), i put off GPS, for ATTI mode.
All returned quite... OUF...

I get out my scene, take alt, and retry GPS mode : The crashing dance again !

I landed immediatly in ATTI.

Next flight, (withOUT doing a 3rd gps calibrate of the day), all was normal and quite, even in GPS mode.
All the 6 next flights were ok, at same place.

So........ Here is the fact, and i really hope answers, explanations and proposed solution/correct.
Because i note since a bunch of pages, that i'm not the first to have too stranges things with my multi this time...

Perhaps some of people play with WK, but the others are professionals with high & legal responsabilities during flights.
(I play too with flips and loops, but on multiwii(c)Alex notre parisien - outside scenes).

Today, i do not imagine any scene crash issues /vs/ WK issues.

So i hope you consider ours all issues as GROS PROBLEMES, and understood thoses as this.

And i want to improve myself clearance to know something : What about the possible engament of responsability by DJI side, after a big statutory problem during a crash failure. You know, in case of crash with problems, insurance are the bests to delay any responsability to an other side. Even more if many people saw the Multi doing some strange dance, obviously putting the pilot in a total powerless.
If Chinese not take into consideration this legal case (that i understand due to distances an politcal rules...), i think the local DJI resseller (expecially in France), easly could be putted on, by any judgment... the hardware bet involved.
Think about all this please.

- during those flight i had permanently flashing green... looking the manual : "Error occurs during firmware upgrading, MC reboot is required" happening at the middle of one flight.
Excuse me but this error message looks like the Micro$oft blue screen of Bill Gates.
Can you explain wht does it reallt means ? I upgrade my WK 10 days ago in 5.12a, got a lot of flight with those permanent green blinks. What is the cause, and probable consequences of this blink ?
My WK is quite new purshahed 2 month ago... I have to frequently 2xblank blinks that i had not 3 days ago...
Hope your products are not time limited (like washing or cooling parts)

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
here is my first attempt to make a video that is some what production level with using my AP rig (WKM)
Johnny Miller and the Tennessee Trio at the Newhalen River Gorge with Rainbow King Lodge (4 min 43 sec)

not as many aerial shots as I would have liked.... (poor weather and difficult condition) but the AG700 gimbal and WKM performed well in a difficult environment.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:30 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Hi DJI's

- during those flight i had permanently flashing green... looking the manual : "Error occurs during firmware upgrading, MC reboot is required" happening at the middle of one flight.
Excuse me but this error message looks like the Micro$oft blue screen of Bill Gates.
Can you explain wht does it reallt means ? I upgrade my WK 10 days ago in 5.12a, got a lot of flight with those permanent green blinks. What is the cause, and probable consequences of this blink ?
My WK is quite new purshahed 2 month ago... I have to frequently 2xblank blinks that i had not 3 days ago...
Hope your products are not time limited (like washing or cooling parts)

Thanks
I thing that not right, that may be the way to indicate that you may start go home because "home point successfull"....
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
No, it's not that.
I know green fash successfull POI (during 3 seconds)
My green where permanent (without done any poi), like the "IMU Data lost".
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
Austria
Joined Nov 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
here is my first attempt to make a video that is some what production level with using my AP rig (WKM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGT6ui92GXY&feature=plcp

not as many aerial shots as I would have liked.... (poor weather and difficult condition) but the AG700 gimbal and WKM performed well in a difficult environment.
Looks great ! What camera was that ?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Nex-5n w 16mm and PJ710v
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
vip
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2012
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Nex-5n w 16mm and PJ710v
are you using a gimbal stabalizer board or the WKM stabalizer

which camera did you use for the aerials?
vip is offline Find More Posts by vip
Last edited by vip; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,535 Posts
He's using a Hoverfly Gimbal Controller and a NEX 5N with 16mm for his flight cam. Sorry to answer for you Adidas
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member