HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:14 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,104 Posts
Discussion
My new WOHM radial diesel 10cc engine

I recently acquired a WOHM 10cc radial diesel engine. I am in love with it too. These are hand made by Wolfgang in Germany, and he does some really wonderful craftsmanship in making the engines. My engine is #22 of the series he has made so far. The engine is very smooth running. if you look at the fuel jar in the video, you can see that the fuel inside the jar isn't moving or jiggling around any. The jar is just sitting in the test stand loose, it isn't tied down or glued down.

It didn't take too long to make a test stand for the engine, so I could play with it.

and here is a video clip of me running the engine:
WOHM Radial 10cc model diesel engine test run (1 min 30 sec)
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:13 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,575 Posts
Oh man, that is NICE!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:27 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Very nice engine, What is the price?
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
This is very cool. I am not familar with a 10cc deisel. What does it compare to nitro wise? Better yet, what kind of prop can you swing and what does the tach say? very cool peice of tech. Seems to run so very smooth
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,104 Posts
Wohm Diesel

The engines cost around $600 US or therabouts, it depends on the currency exchange rates for the Euro.
The engines are made by a gentleman master machinist in Germany.

I had the engine turning a 12x8 prop and it turned it really well. Model diesel two stroke engines tend to behave more like four stroke engines, in that they turn larger props at slower RPMs. Plus a model diesel engine doesn't use glow plugs either, as they are a compression ignition engine, using ether, kerosene and oil for their fuel.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:40 PM
United States, NJ, Ocean View
Joined Oct 2011
49 Posts
just a little jem!!!!
Harold H is offline Find More Posts by Harold H
Old Mar 03, 2014, 03:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
12 Posts
ooowwwww!!

Hi,

That's a beauty ..... can it be mounted on RC planes?

I have found some micro radial engines on test stands, but I can not find small RC planes flying with micro radial engines. Why?

aeroesteban is offline Find More Posts by aeroesteban
Old Aug 05, 2014, 12:45 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,104 Posts
Yes actually if can be used in a RC plane. When my fleet of planes at home has thinned out more, so I have the room, I plan on building a biplane to mount the engine on and fly it.

Usually the really small radial engines wind up in collector hands and they don't want to "use" them of course. Now then some multi-cylinder engines don't output much power and thus wind up being shown on test stands being run at different meets. I have seen some small Saito radial engines in use before. That cute little Saito .90 radial is sure nice.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Aug 05, 2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add more info