SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:07 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Discussion
My Love Affair with the Skytech M2

Hello everyone. My name's daf and I thought I'd introduce myself and my obsession with Skytech M2 and Syma S107 Helicopters. (Although killbucket and several of you others have me beat by a mile =D )

First off, when I say helicopterS, I mean my two functioning choppers and my bag of parts which, at any time are called into action for whatever crazy idea I happen to want to half kill myself or my loved ones with.

MY current favorite is the Skytech M2. Indoor or outdoor(if the breeze is light enough), fast as hell when modded (I've slammed mine into the house at 45 - 50MPH+ on several occasions)..plus its real easy to tear down, repair and rebuild..lends itself well to modding..and is extremely stable (until you do to them what I like to do to them.) It's tough as nails..and since we like to dogfight them at the fleamarket on the weekends..tough is a plus.

Today I'm bummin, since i broke my blades, have no spares and my helicopter guy isn't open until Friday. I pulled out the parts bag and started working on two projects: The Syma 107 with an M2 mainboard AND..the 2 channel 107 (done before I know) that actually moves at a decent pace. (Later I'd like to use the tail moter circuit for an accessory.)

This brings me to a question about the gyro and blade weghts. After stuffing the m2's mainboard into an s107 chassis and hooking everything up..I found that it was impossible to adjust the trim. Are the boards specifically calibrated for the blades/motors/ etc of their model? IS there some place I might stick a pot on the M2's mainboard to make it adjustable? I noticed the same problem when I tried switching out lighter/smaller blades on the M2.

I'll take some pictures of my choppers and maybe a bit of dogfight video (David Vs. Goliath: Skytech M2 Vs. Double Horse 9101)..

Anyhow thanks for the great forum!

daf

P.S. Where is the Skytech M2 Thread?!
dafremen is offline Find More Posts by dafremen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:36 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Pictures of F.U.B.A.R. ..my Skytech M2

Well I finally managed to trim enough off to balance the blades. Nice side effect: less thrust means its easier to control indoors. My girlfriend even enjoys flying the thing finally (and that WAS the idea in the first place )

So now I guess I switch out to standard blades for hi-performance use and use these short ones for indoor. (yay.)

Mods on this heli?

1. All tail weight has been reduced down to the rear motor, blades, wiring and two lightweight soda straws bonded with a thin layer of super glue.

2. Rear motor was replace with an S107 main engine.

3. Added a second blade to the tail (s107 tail rotor) and increased the blade pitch by applying heat and twisting.

4. Removed half weight from the flybar.

5. Landing gear was originally replaced with a perpendicularly mounted soda straw, but for asthetics the landing gear off of an s107 was installed.

6. Rewrapped the receiver antenna around the front of the heli for weight redistribution, shifted the battery weight up under the main shaft.

Plans for this heli?

I plan on removing some frame weight, although I beat the heck out of this machine regularly..so I'm not sure how much structural metal I want to remove. I might use some of killbuckets aluminium tube frame suggestions.

I was looking at the design..and think it might be possible to cobble together a bell-type swashplate controller for forward and back at least (get rid of the tail?! OR maybe fire the tail rotor up in addition..for heavy duty forward attack angle? > ) I also plan on mounting a laser diode in the nose and bugging the crap out of my neighbors (who I love to death..)

Here she is..some 200+ crashes later in all of her ugly beaten-to-death glory(ok I did change out her cowling because it was split and this is, in effect, her "School photo day"):
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:02 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
Where do you buy parts for the M2? I just bought mine and it won't fly, the lower blades are not spinning, I narrow it down to the gears. I need a place where I can order parts online, or maybe another heli that shares the same parts.

Thanks
mariohn is offline Find More Posts by mariohn
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:32 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Hey mario,

I work at the flea market, so I have a guy I buy my parts from there. However, I'm REAL sure I know what your problem is, and the fix is fairly easy.

It's the gear attached directly to the main rotor shaft. (Not the bottom gear with the screw and the brass piece, the one above that.)

The shaft is slipping inside of that gear because the metal of the shaft has cut through the plastic keys on the gear. The fix is simple: Apply a drop of super glue to each side of the main rotor shaft. Stick the (big hollow) rotor shaft down inside..press down and turn clockwise until it stops moving..now hold it there until the Superglue bonds, making sure that the gear is flush to the bottom of the rotor shaft. For a more permanent bond, I use epoxy. To keep it even more secure, apply a little glue around the lip of the gear after the rotor shaft has been glued in. (Make sure to remove any excess glue so that the ball bearing can sit flush to the gear.)

I have a build to take care of today, but I'll perform the fix and take pictures so you can see how to tear it down, do the repair..then put it back together again. Maybe tonight..maybe tomorrow (Friday) night.

Good luck,

daf

P.S. I just burned out two s107 boards trying to power them off of the led connector on the M2 mainboard. (TRying to create a Fire Control officer position using an IR remote) What in the world did I do wrong?!
Last edited by dafremen; Aug 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Front rotor speed(?) mod

On a whim I just added a front rotor that pushes/pulls in the opposite direction as the tail rotor. Not sure if this will be an improvement since there is the weight of the second motor to consider, plus either an additional power drain or a division of the tail rotor power between the two motors.

Has anyone else done this mod? If so what was the verdict?

daf

Update: It runs faster without the rotor on the front..I'm not sure why yet..haven't thought about it. Physics/aerodynamics majors out there? Quick guess: Turbulence is being created in the main rotor wash which is where the forward thrust comes from. Greater/faster attack angle is NOT worth lost forward thrust. Putting the motor on a nose boom might work...but would be impractical.

Here's a pic:
Last edited by dafremen; Aug 11, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Not sure why you 107 enthusiasts haven't been all over this one..

It's very similar to the 107..its by Syma, its RC (less fly time?) it's EXTREMELY moddable. (I just started on a DIY conversion to a bell-type swash plate system It's practically BUILT INTO the Skytech M2. We'll see..I might have underestimated the project.)

But no M2 thread..

sigh

daf

P.S. I'll post that fix tonight mario..took the pictures this morning.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:57 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Dafremen,

Cool heli! I never was never aware of this model. Glad to see that you're having so much fun flying, and modding it.

One thing I will say is that it's not hard to read the sticker that you have on the tail boom, and in my humble opinion, what it says is not appropriate for this forum as it is accessed by families, and children. Sorry that I had to comment on that but please go ahead, and continue the discussion about this model.

Cheers,
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafremen View Post
On a whim I just added a front rotor that pushes/pulls in the opposite direction as the tail rotor. Not sure if this will be an improvement since there is the weight of the second motor to consider, plus either an additional power drain or a division of the tail rotor power between the two motors.

Has anyone else done this mod? If so what was the verdict?

daf

Update: It runs faster without the rotor on the front..I'm not sure why yet..haven't thought about it. Physics/aerodynamics majors out there? Quick guess: Turbulence is being created in the main rotor wash which is where the forward thrust comes from. Greater/faster attack angle is NOT worth lost forward thrust. Putting the motor on a nose boom might work...but would be impractical.

Here's a pic:
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:33 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
I'll be posting the repair pictures tonight after I get back from work.

Ed, thanks for the greeting and for pointing out my somewhat-blurry-but-i'll-be-derned-if-it-isn't-still-legible tailboom sticker which states: F---ED UP BEYOND ALL REPAIR (an old military acronym used when the SH-- HITS THE FAN.)

If you'll turn your attention to image A:

You'll note a pile of crap and parts which consistutes F.U.B.A.R...my helicopter. If there was ever a term in this..the great land of the free to describe that pile of parts and junk..I'd say F---ED UP BEYOND ALL REPAIR pretty much covers it. Especially when it's SUPPOSED to look like picture B (my wife's M2.)

However, as my grandkids pointed out..they wouldn't let their friend wear his shirt with that word to school, so it's probably appropriate that I blur it out here..and will do so from now on.

Course my tailboom sticker shouldn't be an issue anymore since my latest mod removes the tailboom altogether (see image C.)

(I'll have to put the sticker somewhere else I guess. No worries though..this one is of two midgets having an intimate moment with a goat.)

daf
Last edited by dafremen; Aug 13, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
i love the m2 too,
i have bought about 5 of them so far for 25 each.
in calm wind they fly great and you can get complete control when the wind is dead calm.

they are very crash resistent too,except for the blades.

i have a question,when you order more blades,do the blade screws come with
the blades?
i dont see them in the pictures of the spare parts.
trendcat is offline Find More Posts by trendcat
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
daframen hello

im thinking of selling the m2 at a local flea market
i can buy them for 20 or less a piece
can you make any money selling them?
regards
dan
trendcat is offline Find More Posts by trendcat
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
Indoor RC Hotdog
Joined Aug 2011
270 Posts
Dan,

I've got the answers to your questions and a place for us to start talking about M2 helicopters..over here:

The SYMA Skytech M2 Helicopter Discussion Thread

See you there.

daf