HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Question
Help needed Identifying a Mystery Cylinder

I'm new here, and I'm hoping somebody here may be able to help with this part. I'm trying to find what I think is an engine cylinder for model engines, and I don't really have much info or pictures on it at all.

The part would have been pre-80's, and is most likely older.

The whole piece is roughly 1.5 inches tall and an inch around, and there could have been areas chopped off of it or even 2 parts making it up to look like the full part in this photo. Or it could very well be 1 piece in the same shape as the full part in the photo too, which is more likely I think.

Anybody recognize a cylinder with this shape? Thanks everyone, I apologize for the lack of reference, any help would be great!

-Carson
deadbolt1 is offline Find More Posts by deadbolt1
Last edited by deadbolt1; Sep 11, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
If you dont know what it is , , , do you mind telling us why you want it ?
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Haha, actually it's a part used on some Star Wars Props. The people that made them back then used all kinds of crazy things on props.

Me and many others have been trying to figure out what exactly they used, and model engine cylinders bear striking resemblances to the Prop piece.

The model of it in the photo is pretty close to what it should really look like, proportion and shape wise.

-Carson
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt1 View Post
Haha, actually it's a part used on some Star Wars Props. The people that made them back then used all kinds of crazy things on props.

Me and many others have been trying to figure out what exactly they used, and model engine cylinders bear striking resemblances to the Prop piece.

The model of it in the photo is pretty close to what it should really look like, proportion and shape wise.

-Carson

Ok , Fair answer , , , and now here's mine .......

Your cylender appears to be a perfect drawing of a "Cox" model engine cylender . Execpt for the very top , which is where there should be a stud for electrical connection to the Glow Plug , you drawing looks like this ..............
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Aug 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2011, 07:02 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,608 Posts
Too many fins and way too big to be a Cox, probably something machined that way as a movie prop like the OP mentioned. Can't see it as being part of an engine with no exhaust visible(Too small to be from a 4-strokes radial). Peoples gathering stuff as movie props are very resourceful, even more so for the Star War serie!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:41 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
608 Posts
I just measured the Cox engines I have and the Diameter of the top of the cylinder are:

Cox .010 - .43 Inch
Cox .020 - .55 inch
Cox .049 - .75 inch
Cox also made .09 and .15 size engines but I do not own any of those to measure.

I would guess that the cylinders in question were from the Cox .09 engine.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:38 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
One could make that out of assorted pieces of plywood. You make some thick plywood disks for the cylinder and then stack on the cooling fin plywood discs in a alternating pattern. Sand the parts as needed, and paint them black and it would look quite realistic.

I don't remember seeing anything like that in a Star Wars Movie, which movie and about where in the film was it shown?
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far! I've been looking through tons of model engine pictures and there are some incredibly similar ones, but nothing quite with the same amount of fins and same overall proportions yet.

The thing with this piece is, it could be a custom part but considering the reputation of the company that worked on these props, it seems more likely for it to an existing part of some sort. It could be anything really, but a model engine cylinder is one of the closest looking possibilities so far.

As for the exhaust ports, if it came out of the top of the cylinder or anywhere that isn't visible in the finned area, they could have removed or cut it off. Even though they used allot of different parts for props, they did modify allot of them to look a bit different and fit what they needed.

It's possible I have come to the right place.

P.S The Prop company was base in the UK, so it's also possible for this part to be foreign.

-Carson
Last edited by deadbolt1; Aug 10, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Here's a couple pictures I pulled from a video on a thread here, it's hard to tell if it's the same because of the quality but it looks very similar.

The video was in German and I couldn't tell what engine it was. And I can't really tell the size of the cylinder exactly, but it looks close.

Anyone recognize this engine and cylinder?

-Carson
Last edited by deadbolt1; Aug 10, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I don't remember seeing anything like that in a Star Wars Movie, which movie and about where in the film was it shown?
It was used on several Star Wars A New Hope props. It can be seen at the very beginning of the film on Leia's long barreled Blaster, near the beginning on Greedo's Blaster in the Cantina Bar, throughout the film on Han Solo's Blaster, and it's the main body piece of the Comlink the Stormtroopers use. There's more, but those are some of the more major props it was on.

Thanks again for all the help with this everyone!

Here's a couple photos of the Star Wars Comlink.

-Carson
Last edited by deadbolt1; Aug 10, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
I think they used alternating layers of circular pieces glued together to make the finned props with.
They could have also taken some aluminum round stock and chucked it up in lathe and machine it too.
or they could take a big chunk of round bar stock delrin plastic and do the same thing too.
Using real engine cylinders might have gotten too expensive budget-wise.
We have done the same thing making dummy cylinders and heads for scale airplanes too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Aug 10, 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:40 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt1 View Post
The video was in German and I couldn't tell what engine it was, but I think it's a 4 cycle.
Chances are it's not that engine. It's a rather uncommon and valuable Polednik.

If you need to reproduce this and make is somewhat durable, turn it on a lathe from black nylon. Otherwise do as earl suggested and cut a stack of disks and glue them together.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Chances are it's not that engine. It's a rather uncommon and valuable Polednik.

If you need to reproduce this and make is somewhat durable, turn it on a lathe from black nylon. Otherwise do as earl suggested and cut a stack of disks and glue them together.

Greg
Me and a few others plan on working on replicas, but if we can identify the original part we may be able to get measurements for one to size and proportion them accurately. And also figure out what we're seeing a little better since the Star Wars photos are such low quality. The correct size of the Prop part is a mystery also, but it is roughly around the sizing I posted.

Other identified Star Wars parts have gone from the extreme of parts from a Rolls Royce Jet engine, to kitchen sink parts. They used anything they happened to for some reason have. All those parts are vintage now of course, and some were probably even vintage back then.

Also I forgot to mention allot of these cylinder parts used in Star Wars may have been cast resin copies of the original part they had, they did that a little too.

Does anyone happen to know of any better pictures of that Polednik engine's cylinder?

-Carson
Last edited by deadbolt1; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:55 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,154 Posts
I should have mentioned the engine is small. You can see it's no larger in diameter than the man's finger.
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
I should have mentioned the engine is small. You can see it's no larger in diameter than the man's finger.
Your right, it is a bit smaller than I realized. Good thing though, that engines far too rare to track down, haha.

-Carson