HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Smokin_Joes, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:49 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Build Log
Baja 260S with Castle Creations Mamba Monster Conversion Kit

HobbyKing had the aformentioned 5B "clone" (if you will) for a low price and just about free shipping. Since I live in Washington State, where HK's USA warehouse is located, it was delivered in one day- yay me!

Though it comes with a 26cc weedwacker type gas/petrol engine, I planned to convert this using Castle Creations super small (sarcasm) Mamba Monster conversion kit with V2 ESC.

Here is the unboxing (sort of) the 260S. I guess I'll call this part one.

I am ordering some goodies;

So far have;

RPM front suspension arms
RPM rear suspension arms
GH Black Alloy Front Hub Set
Castle Creations/Mamba Full Electric Conversion Kit w/ v2 ESC for HPI Baja 5B/5T/5SC
Hyperion G3 Vx 5000 Mah 7S 25.9V 35C/65C
Tarmac Buster M Compound
Hitec HS-805MG

On order:

Dark Soul Front & Rear Axle Extenders

Looking to source:

PhatDad-RC 5mm 300m Series 5mm Dowel-Pin Cross-Over Dogbones
and Drive Cups

As I move forward and order more goodies for her will certainly update.

8.22.2011 Update: Castle Creations this weekend sent out a recall notice on several of their high amp ESC, including the Mamba XL ver 2 that came with my E conversion kit.

However, I probably can move forward with the project since I still need to remove the gas engine et all, and can install all other conversion parts sans the ESC. So hopefully more pics and progress to come.

11.02.2011 Update: FINALLY got confirmation that CC is sending me a brand new XL2 ESC. Hopefully the issue in the previous two or three are in the past.
Smokin_Joes is online now Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Last edited by Smokin_Joes; Nov 26, 2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Updating mod list
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:04 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
224 Posts
I'm reporting pic #6 to the moderators...for excessive awesomeness.

I've wanted a 5B since they came out. Good to know you can get something like it for a lot less money.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Project on hold

Castle Creations this weekend sent out a recall notice on several of their high amp ESC, including the Mamba XL ver 2 that came with my E conversion kit.

However, I probably can move forward with the project since I still need to remove the gas engine et all, and can install all other conversion parts sans the ESC. So hopefully more pics and progress to come.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:27 AM
australia, nsw
Joined May 2007
8 Posts
looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
keep the pictures comming
rhysdejager is offline Find More Posts by rhysdejager
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:05 AM
United States, LA
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Did you even ruin it as a gasser for at least a few runs?

I ask cause other than hobbykings reviews I can't find nice threads on this buggy.

(new to the site and still looking around to see if I find more, only found a thread where it started good, but turned into a HPI is better and clones are no good typical 1/5 buggy clone thread)
Mothra35 is offline Find More Posts by Mothra35
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:33 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
714 Posts
Mothra35, I never did run as gasser. All HPI branded parts I've bought along with aftermarket of various brands "fit to a T." I will probably just sell the engine.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
379 Posts
So how's this project coming along? Anything from Castle as of yet? I hope you have your ESC back & your build is going well.

If you don't mind, where did you source the Electric conversion kit for this car & what came with it? (ESC, Motor, Pinion, Bracket, etc...?) any pictures of the conversion kit?

Cheers,
Brian
TooSLow2Care is offline Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care