HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2003, 12:53 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
GWS Corsair Build Question - What's with these ailerons?

I'm up to the step where you install the aileron Rods but still not quite sure how to approach this. I have read that the Aileron rods should not be bent but this is a bent wing bird! Are the instruction saying just to flex the aileron linkages with only the black rubber tubes to hold them down or do they really want you to bend the wires? If I just flex the rod & count on the rubber tubes to hold it down won' that be a lot of friction for the servo to overcome? Should I use some sort of lubricant to get them to slide easier?

-Thanks-

P.S. - Oops, I glued the fuselage halves together but have not installed the tail wheel bracket, that may be OK since I may fly it without the gear but ifdecide I Want landing gear, how do I get that tail wheel gear wire back in the fuselage, cut the fuselage rear off with a sharp knife?

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2003, 01:43 PM
Tiger Moth fan
Sumner, WA
Joined Jul 2003
268 Posts
Just glue the aileron push rods into the wings using the rubber sleeves.

You are correct in that you DO NOT bend the wire, allow it to flex along the gull wing it will work fine.

Note:
The one thing that is a problem however is that mine and one other Corsair that I have seen (probobly others as well) have an issue with the aileron linkage clearance at the servo linkage/pushrod joint. The area at the rubber grommet where the torque rods connects bumps into the fusalage. I needed to cut out short channels to allow the linkage to move freely.

I wonder how many people are actually experiening issues with the linkage clearance, but beleive that they are having problems with the bent torque rods in the wings?

Duane
Brain_Washed is offline Find More Posts by Brain_Washed
Old Sep 07, 2003, 01:51 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
I built mine as per the instructions and you got it! Yousimply hold down the wire while the glue dries. It's a pain in the #$#, and it took a couple of trys before I figured it out. But when it is done i have very little friction, I have only one naro servo and it doesn't com close to stalling. If you bend the wire you will not have the movement needed. I fly my birds stock with no gear and 7 cells. There is some slop in the ailerons, due to the size of the plastic tubes and the bend. This slop is no problem if you keep it stock, but if you want to go fast or brushless just lay two pico's on their side and use one per wing. With the angle of the wing and belly landing on grass you won't hit the servos. Just put the servo's in line with the center of th aileron. So it's up to you. If you go the stock way start with 5 min epoxy on the bottom bend and hold it untill the glue is COMPLETLY dry. After that it's easy.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 07, 2003, 01:53 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
I bent my srevo grommet ends in befor I glued the TQ rod in works good.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Sep 07, 2003, 02:39 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2003
408 Posts
How-To

Mike,

I did some research on this as I'm starting mine tomorrow...

The guys from E-Flightline.com put his in as-per-instructions as did a guy I met today. It looks to work fine except you might want to open up the channel around the binding points to accomodate the wire's bending.

I think I'm going to go with this How-To I found in the E-Zone...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=corsair

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Cheers,
Dave
ddoucette is offline Find More Posts by ddoucette
Old Sep 07, 2003, 03:02 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
I installed the stock aileron setup and the ailerons wouldn't center properly. They seemed to operate OK by hand but with the servo they would stick about 1mm away from center every time. I ripped out the torque rods and installed two Pico BB servos in the wings. It works perfect.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Sep 07, 2003, 05:21 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
I just finished the Aileron Setup, used the Standard instructions in the manual, it seems to bind a little but seems to move OK. I will be using a Naro servo for the ailerons. The way I see it, if I have to I will just go to a high torgue servo if necessary but will use the Naro first & see if it will work.

P.S. - The Aileron installation in these birds is Definitely my LEAST favorite part of building these GWS birds, I figure it's all downhill from here.

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Sep 08, 2003, 11:49 AM
Admitted RCoholic
Apache Junction, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
120 Posts
One thing I've discovered that I haven't seen mentioned yet are the rubber grommets in the eyelets at the end torque rods. They're soft and take up a lot of the movement from the servo. I tumbled on to this when I was performing my final checks the night before the maiden. It seemed I didn't have very much movement even though everything felt very smooth when moving by hand. I fixed them by taking a pair of pliers and squishing the wire loop down to about half the original size. Much better now. Right now I'm trying to come up with something harder that I can replace the rubber parts with. Any ideas out there?
Dugster is offline Find More Posts by Dugster
Old Sep 08, 2003, 12:17 PM
Tiger Moth fan
Sumner, WA
Joined Jul 2003
268 Posts
I wonder if a couple of the Du-Bro micro servo horn connectors would work for you on teh torque rod linkage?

I use them on my servo horns, and they work great. I can't see why they would work well on the torque rod as well, or instead of on the the servo horn alone.

I would like to get higher roll rate out of my Corsair, so if there is slop in the torque rods I'd like to minimize it in an effort to help the roll rate.

Duane
Brain_Washed is offline Find More Posts by Brain_Washed