HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:26 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger Cessna 177 Cardinal

Hi
I just bought a TT Cessna 177 Cardinal with floats . My idea was to use electric motor in this plane . I have tried a search on the net to find someone that has converted this plane before but with no success. Does anyone here know if this plane has been converted to electric?
Best regards Are
Sir Barf is online now Find More Posts by Sir Barf
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
Very good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Barf View Post
Hi
I just bought a TT Cessna 177 Cardinal with floats . My idea was to use electric motor in this plane . I have tried a search on the net to find someone that has converted this plane before – but with no success. Does anyone here know if this plane has been converted to electric?
Best regards Are
Hi, i had converted an ARC cessna 177(the same model) but now is in pieces to my store after a stall in Aegean(greek sea) with floats. For the convertion i use: 1) turnigy motor 50-65 400kv
2) hk esc 70a
3) turnigy 6s 4000mah 30c and 40c batteries
4) i cut scale flaps
5) 13x10 prop(aprox 40a and 9200rpm if i remember correct)
6) i put a small servo near nose wheel for easy transformation to landplane
The flight time was over 11min(3.7v remaining) and the flight was very scale.
I put the servos mount behind the point which the wing connect, for battery.
The stall was my fault but the steep turns especially with floats need a lot of speed and good handling! DON'T mix the aileron with rudder it is very dangerous at low speeds! I measure many times the speed with a holux gps and the average was 140 kph...!!! I have some photos if you want.
I wish i help, good luck with your convertion!
jpjpakos is offline Find More Posts by jpjpakos
Last edited by jpjpakos; Aug 17, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Cessna 177 Cardinal going electric

Hi
Yes, photos would have been great, can you post them here on the forum, my plan is to make a building blog - or something like that, publish photos of my assembly of this model - converting to electric. Any pictures that shows how others have solved problems or modified this aeroplane is most welcome.
Best regards Are
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,196 Posts
Seems like you really can not slow this model down too much. I don't believe it is due to the weight but, a combination of weight and drag.

Just take a look at this gentleman with the same model and TT F-91 power Glow:
Thunder Tiger Cessna 177 Cardinal on Floats (3 min 52 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...13137196839683

Tomorrow i will put some photos of flaps and servos!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 03:35 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Cessna 177 Cardinal

I have started the assembly of the Cessna. I follow the manual and start with the wings. I got a tip about reinforce the wings with a carbonrod, people who have build this plane says that this is important if you are planning of use this with floats. The wings are not prepared for that so you have to drill in a carbonrod yourself. Instead of do this by holding each winghalf in one hand and the drill in the other I made a simple jig for the drill to ensure perfect alignment. I did some measurements to ensure that winghalves aligned properly and that the carbonrod entered the winghalves at the same angle. There was some thinking, but the job itself was a breeze as soon as I had it all figured out and the result was perfect.

I was thinking of use a Turnigy motor, but Hobby City is still backorder, so I just have to wait before I do some more.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:51 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,973 Posts
Very cool Sir Barf. I can't wait to hear more about your build.

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
Good start!

Very good idea. Indeed the wing need reinforcement especially with float!
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Some progress

Hi
This project has been down for a while - here are some update.
I got tired of waiting for Backorderking to get a Tunigy motor, so Ive bought a OS 5020-490 instead.
Here are some pictures of my version of enginemount, its not hi-tech but it will do. I got some 10mm aluminium spar, cut 4 pieces to 50mm lenghts and drilled out a 4,1mm hole in center. I then used a 4mm threaded rod through it. As you see in the picture I have to cut off some of the rods.
I tried the firewall in the plane with the engine mounted to ensure the engine would fit, and it came out perfect. I have to use spacers to achieve correct down- and sidethrust. I used a piece of plywood at the back of the firewall to reinforce it. I then glued in the firewall as told in the manual. I also glued in the midspar.
Now I just have to wait for the glue to cure.

Are
Last edited by Sir Barf; Oct 17, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:30 AM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
PERFECT!!! Sir Barf go on
Old Oct 31, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Wing dowel missing ?

Hi again
Im not sure if I have got all parts in this kit, it seems to be missing a wing dowel - or The manual doesnt say anything about mounting a wing dowel either - but the wing cant be held in place by the wingbolts only ?

Best regards Are
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
the cardinal

Happy new year everybody
There has been some progress with this plane. Since last time I have mounted the servos, finished the pull-pull system to the rudder, assembled the floats and started to mount them on the plane.
I was not sure of what to do with the battery, so I simply put some Velcro right behind the firewall and epoxy a velcrostrap to secure the battery from moving. I need to make a velcrostrap in the front as well.
I was a little conserned about the wingbolt - there was no description in the manual to insert a wingdowel. To attach the wing to the fuse with only two wingbolts didnt give me a good feeling, s I just glued in a wingdowel - better safe than sorry
Now I have to put on the stickers, get a esc and we are ready for some testing. I have to find out what size of the battery I need 5S or 6S - we are close now
Last edited by Sir Barf; Jan 08, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Cessna 177 Cardinal

Hi

The plane is now finished. Flight ready weight is a little over 4400g (my digital weight isn’t that accurate). I had to use a 6S 4900 Flight Power battery to get the balance correct. It balances at 76mm with the nose slightly down – if the manual is correct this should be perfect, as you can see in the picture.

To check the CG I made a simple CG-machine I took two aluminum spars from an old tent, cut two identical pieces, then I flattened one end on each. Then I drilled two holes in the seat of an old chair and mounted the two spars. It worked flawless

Now I just have to get a ESC and test the engine and set up the plane. The maiden will be done in the spring when the water isn’t frozen and perhaps when its so warm that I can take a swim if I have to rescue the plane

Best regards and happy landings
Are
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:30 AM
United Kingdom, North Ayrshire
Joined May 2008
4 Posts
Did you eventually buy the ESC and which did you get? Just starting this conversion from an OS70 SurpassII so any more info would be very helpful.

Regards, Jeff.
Blairvoyach is offline Find More Posts by Blairvoyach
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Cessna 177

Hi
No, I havent got the ESC or batteries yet. I guess I will order this soon now. i have to check if HobbyKing have the batteries and the ESC.

best regards, Are