SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Discussion
Oranator attacked by Peregrine falcon!

This afternoon, our San Diego slope buddy, the Oranator, withstood a prolonged, vicious assault by a juvenile Peregrine falcon at Dave's Beach. Oran emerged unscathed, and his plane escaped with minor scratches.

A witness described the scene, "So there was Oran, minding his own business, showing off his pitcheron ship in a moderate breeze, when out of the east comes a Peregrine falcon. The falcon headed north toward the power plant when he hit the beach, but suddenly veered south in pursuit of the Oranator. The dogfight seemed to last forever, but in reality probably lasted a few minutes."

Area man Pat Murphy was also present: "The bird turned inside of Oran like a Zero versus a PBY. Again and again, the talons flashed, and more than once we could see and hear the bird make contact with the plane."

Eventually, the falcon broke contact and left a humiliated Oran to lick his wounds. He (the bird) was last seen headed north.

Visibly shaken, Oran lashed out at the assembled crowd, "Your plane wouldn't have stood a chance."

There is exactly one breeding pair of peregrines in San Diego, and they live near the lighthouse on Point Loma, many miles south of the site of Monday's attack. Whether their offspring intends to claim Dave's Beach as his own is the subject of much speculation. Watch this space for updates....
pmurphy is offline Find More Posts by pmurphy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:57 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
I am curious where it would nest, that area seems sparse.

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:05 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
6,054 Posts
I bet it was Oran's fault.
He's done it before.

Matin
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:10 PM
building season is here.
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
937 Posts
From personal experience. Peregrines will only go after the slow and sickly. Big pumps and speed scare them off, in minimal air I just go loooong with sharp turns and they bug off. I'm sure your happy you didn't go fer a walk down the hill.
seaspb is online now Find More Posts by seaspb
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
They'll nest on buildings, smokestacks, cell towers, etc. At one time or another, peregrines have nested on buildings in downtown San Diego. Anyway, this one appeared to be a juvenile, and it was clearly confused and hungry! Oran was primarily worried that someone from PETA would accuse him of harrassing the bird. I humored him with a condescending smile because not even someone from PETA would have interpreted him as a threat to that bird.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:56 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
This is my guess..
A robot that flies like a bird (6 min 20 sec)
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:35 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,393 Posts
Was the bird O.K.?
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
The bird is a teenager with raging hormones and a lack of experience.

Other than that, it's fine.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:54 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspb View Post
From personal experience. Peregrines will only go after the slow and sickly. Big pumps and speed scare them off, in minimal air I just go loooong with sharp turns and they bug off. I'm sure your happy you didn't go fer a walk down the hill.
Interesting, my observation has been the opposite with approx 10 or so visits from peregrines alone (many more from other species). I'm not sure if it's the diving away that triggers a 'kill' reflex, or if it just wants to check that wierd thing out.

One of the sessions I had was DSing behind a decent hill, the peregrine would follow me down the backside and would do a few laps, then pop up and wait for me to come around again before diving down behind me again. This happened maybe 5-6 times and it obviously knew what to do when the shear shifted - it dived waaay down the back, then whistled past my ears just clipping the top of the ridge. Way cool to HEAR it go whooshing past at speed

And just this morning I had a pair chase my s400 racer, even when I was climing out in a thermal

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:12 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspb View Post
Have you seen Oran fly? His flying style is sick! Just to far north to be considered Jackassery......
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:29 PM
United States, MS, Amory
Joined Oct 2004
1,412 Posts
I'll bet it's a rightwing conspirecy.
mtnmnstr is offline Find More Posts by mtnmnstr
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmurphy View Post
There is exactly one breeding pair of peregrines in San Diego, and they live near the lighthouse on Point Loma, many miles south of the site of Monday's attack. Whether their offspring intends to claim Dave's Beach as his own is the subject of much speculation. Watch this space for updates....
Ummm...no. There is at least one pair at Torrey also.

mw (matter of factly)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:52 PM
building season is here.
United States, OR, Silverton
Joined Nov 2008
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbflyer View Post
Have you seen Oran fly? His flying style is sick! Just to far north to be considered Jackassery......
I wasn't trying to insult his flying style or skill. Noticed he said lift was minimal or did I miss read. I've had one of the peregrines at the Pt. Hit me twice in light conditions when just trolling for lift. once hit on the nose other time hit the canopy. I've heard they grab tails and crash planes.
Watching one ds would be cool. Every now and then they'll whoosh your head at fermin, scary actually.
seaspb is online now Find More Posts by seaspb
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:13 AM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Nov 2007
2,494 Posts
Oran's flying style is sick(ening) - never have I seen so many planes crashed by one man! Though it probably would not happen so much if he would quit trying to limbo with mouldies.

Where is the ORANATOR?
JGAF is offline Find More Posts by JGAF
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:34 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,139 Posts
The Peregrines have also been regularly seen near Ponto Beach and the Batiquitos Lagoon. It may have nested there. I caught a picture of one perched in my palm tree before making an unsuccessful move on a dove.

We've had several predators cruise through Dave's looking for a easy meal and those of us deserving enough to annoy them have been duly rewarded,... speaking for myself. There are several hawks in the Eucalyptus along the tracks, closer to the In-n-Out Burger but a Peregrine is a real treat that I hope someone will snap a picture of.
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely