HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2003, 09:04 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
99 Posts
How to fix glitches on Corona

My Corona suffers frim radio glitches, it's not bad but still concern me. Sometimes the motor shuts down for split second and the tail kicks. I have AF motor with CC Pegasus esc. The Receiver JR R700 is placed at the front crutch and the gyro GY402 it right above it.
The esc is right behind the motor on the other side of the crutch.
I installed the 3 capacitors that came with the AF motor and also added the diode that came with the esc. The antenna runs on the top part of the crutch through the hole (for whip antenna) all the way to the rudder. I don't have a whip antenna since I am operating on 36 mhz.
How can I eliminate the glitches?
GoodHeli is offline Find More Posts by GoodHeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2003, 12:09 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
I had a similar problem early on. I moved the receiver and the gyro to the rear of the crutch. No servo extensions required and the sensitive electronics are no where near the motor and ESC. The ESC was mounted at the front left of the crutch and the battery in the stock location. This solved all my glitching problems.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Sep 07, 2003, 08:15 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
99 Posts
Thanks Knimrod, I might try that if I can't fix it with the current gears position. Do you the 3 capacitor and diode on the motor, this is assuming that you have a brushed motor.
Old Sep 07, 2003, 09:14 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
I've since upgraded to a brushless but I do remember discussing the capacitors with Paul Arlton at LMH and it's my recollection that he strongly suggested not using the 2 capacitors that bridge to the the motor can and just use a single capacitor and diode across the motor leads.

For what it's worth, It was a night and day difference when I moved the electronics to the rear of the crutch. All of my glitching problems were immediately resolved.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Sep 07, 2003, 11:00 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
99 Posts
I think I will remove the 2 capacitors that you mentioned since it's a very minor change. I have built a gyro stand at the front of the crutch and the receiver and gyro are placed there nicely so I prefer not to repositon the gears except for the esc if I can.
I actually checked and asked many people about this setup while building the Corona and many people have similar/identical gears placement like mine without problem.
Overall I am still pretty happy with my Corona because it's so stable in comparison to my HB. It's more than what I expected.
Before I flew it I read many thread about people saying CP heli is much more stable than Corona. CP heli must be very nice to fly.
I only had 2 battery packs flying experience so far so still a lot to learn. Last night I attached a clear irigation pipe with balsa around the boom to avoid another boom crash damage. Looks a lot stronger now and it's not too heavy.
Old Sep 08, 2003, 01:36 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Move the gyro as far from the RX as possible! Piezo gyros and RX's do not mix! This is a common problem and is not adressed in the LMH book.

A good spot in under the TR servo. Better yet, get a Futaba 240 and mount up top!!

CP helis are not more stable, but have better control if setup correct. The LMH will teach you alot!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 08, 2003, 03:14 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
99 Posts
I noticed that some people have their gyro installed on the top back of the crutch. But the LMH manual shows the gyro right next to RX. Some people also have it instaled this way with no problem. Well maybe I just have to change mine.
Thanks guys.