SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:14 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,655 Posts
Build Log
2011 Build-off - Frog Senior Series "Tomtitx2"

Just time to get in a third entry for the build-off. Inspired by Mark Sherlock's 2x scale up of one of the delightful Frog Senior Series models, I have decided to tackle a similar scale-up of the biplane from the series, the Tomtit. Why?

Well, it is a while since I last built a biplane, and I have to say that ALL the biplanes I have ever built have been scale models, so I thought it would be nice to do something different and build a sport semi-scale biplane. Also, in scaling up an 18" span rubber model to 36" span electric, a fair amount of redesign of the structure is going to be needed, whilst sticking absolutely to the shape and spirit of the original. My last five models have been three vintage and two scale models all from other peoples designs, so I was feeling the need to exercise the structural design muscles a bit.

This is not going to be a totally straight-forward project structurally, as the original uses a centre section pylon and outboard "I" struts with the model built as one piece - fine in this size but a 36 inch one piece biplane would be a pain to store and transport, so I am going to have to devise solutions to enable it to be taken apart.

So....first step was to down load the original plan from the "House of Frog" website:

Then spend a couple of pleasant days creating a building plan for the twice size model:

Don't expect too rapid early progress on this one, as we have visitors next week, but at least I do have all the power train ready to hand, so I might get most of the bits cut out before our friends arrive. Should be fun!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:58 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,005 Posts
Looks fun. We'll be watching....
brokenspar is online now Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Aug 09, 2011, 05:14 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
You are good to go on your third contest model George.

Some day I will finish my first contest model

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Watching with interest George.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
George,
Excellent choice Lovely to see another FROG model in the making!!
Mark
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined Oct 2006
595 Posts
Oh! - and dont forget the mandatory waterslide FROG logo for added authenticity Vint did a great job on the artwork restoration back in 2007 when I built the Linnet.....
marksherlock is offline Find More Posts by marksherlock
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,655 Posts
OK guys, thanks for the interest. Slow start as I said due to having visitors here, but I should get going this week. First job is to make formers to laminate the wing tip and tail outlines, then cut out all the ribs and riblets.

Thanks for the reminder Mark, yes, of course it will have the mandatory FROG emblem!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:29 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Frog Tomtit

Nice choice. I thought about this model too.
Attached are the plans from House of Frog.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:05 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,655 Posts
Getting started

Now that our friends and visitors have returned to the UK, I have managed to get started on this build.

I usually build the flying surfaces first, and as there are two wings to construct this seems to be a sensible sequence for the Tomtit.

The first task was to prepare laminating patterns for the wing tips, tailplane LE and fin LE. These are cut from Rohacel foam, of which I conveniently have a small supply. After waxing the forme edges to prevent sticking, I cut a pile of softish 1/16" x 3/16" strips and soaked them in water, then, using strips of 1/32" ply to protect the edges from the pins, I brushed on white glue and laminated the strips against the formes. This is a lower wing tip:

And here are all the bits, with the fin LE and one top and bottom tip removed from the formes after drying overnight, and the second wing tips and tailplane LE in place and drying:

Next step is to make ply templates then cut all the wing ribs and riblets.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:18 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Nice work, it looks like the foam form is the way to go.
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:13 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
...then, using strips of 1/32" ply to protect the edges from the pins...
Now THAT is a great idea......which I'll pick up immediately...

Nice work...!!
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:20 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Now THAT is a great idea......which I'll pick up immediately...

Nice work...!!
Glad you found something useful, Gluehand! That's why I like looking through all the build logs on this vintage forum - most of the guys have been building for years and everyone develops their own little techniques and cunning ways of solving constructional problems, so that there is always something of interest to pick up and mentally file away for the next time you are confronted with a similar situation. Put it all together and you get an instant masterclass in traditional aeromodelling.

Now for those wing ribs......
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
FROG Catalogue

From 1956 -
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And finally -
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:27 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,655 Posts
Great stuff Twin Stack - thanks. I was a great fan of FROG models back in the fifties, apart from several of the Senior and Junior series rubber models I also built and flew the Cirrus, Fox, Powavan, Zephyr, Aerobat, Vandiver II, Chimp, Tarquin and the metal Pioneer - this last one was an expensive disaster, but all the others were great.
RCG Plus Member