HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ryancsmith, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Mini-HowTo
PC Joystick With Real Flight Experiment

I just got done with a test flight on Real Flight 5.5 with my USB2PPM cable and a CH Pro Joystick. This had been an idea I brewed one day while at work to test fly using the joystick before I used it in the real world. I have a USB Sim Dongles and thought it might work if I connect the cables to each other. It worked better than I had expected and is easy to set up.

Requirements:
1. Flytron USB2PPM Cable and Software from site...The one with 3.5mm JR End
http://flytron.com/programmers/56-co...converter.html
2. USB Joystick
3. USB Sim Dongle.. Can be found at dealextreme.com, Hobbyking.com ect...
4. Copy of Real Flight 5.5....untested but may work on others
5. Stereo Coupler or Stereo Splitter Cable.. Radio Shack #2741555

Steps:
1. Plug in the Flytron USB2PPM cable w/JR End.
Wait a sec for windows to do it's thing

2.Plug in your Joystick.

3. Configure your Joystick in the Compufly software.
Reverse the throttle if needed ect....

4. Connect USB Sim Dongle and plug in stereo/mono cable

5. Connect the cable from the USB2PPM and from the USB Sim Dongle into a coupler. You can use a Y splitter cable if you have one. Just let the other end hang. Or a Stereo Coupler form Radio Shack #2741555

6. Start Real Flight and configure your controller.
I had problems going through the whole Calibration thing but when you do your Max and Min a few times and just exit it works. Mine wouldn't allow me to hit the finish button

7. You may need to go to the channel mapping to switch channels as mine were all over the place.

Real Flight Note: With the dongle you will notice when you crash that you can't reset like you can on the Interlink Controller. I have a solution for that as it does help it can be a pain if you want to switch planes a lot.

1. Go to My Documents/RealFlight G5/Scripts/

2. open startup.rfscript in notepad and add line

3. bind 0 loadvehicle aurora

4. Now when you crash you can hit 0 on the keyboard and rest you plane.

You can replace “auroa” with any plane from the plane menu ex.. “bind 0 loadvehicle P-51 Mustang”

Note:
I really want to get the Compufly software to be able to use more than one usb controller for input. I have a CH PRO Joystick, Throttle and Rudder set up for my Adrupilot/Copter tests on Xplane and would like to use all three in a real world flight. If anyone programs and would like to help me out on that I would be stoked.

Enjoy
ryancsmith is offline Find More Posts by ryancsmith
Last edited by ryancsmith; Aug 08, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
ekrekeler
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
This is Great! I use a dongle that is compatible with the realflight g5 software and my spektrum dx6i controller. I wasn't able to get it to reset until I inserted the bind command in the startup.rfscript file. Is there any way I can get it to work for every plane? When I press zero when another plane is loaded, it resets to the plane that I put in the startup.rfscript. It would be nice if I could just use the spacebar.
ekrekeler is offline Find More Posts by ekrekeler