HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2011, 05:14 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
898 Posts
Discussion
DX6i Timer changing from Down to Up (I can recreate the problem at will)

I landed a plane today on Low Voltage Cutoff because the timer in my DX6i had changed from a down timer to an up timer. I know it's been discussed before. But I'm now able to recreate this problem at will. So I thought I would document the steps here because knowing the cause should help prevent the issue.

Here is how I'm able to change the timer from DOWN to UP for model "A":
1) Start Down timer using toggle TRAINER switch
2) Allow timer to count down to zero, at which point it will start to count up.
3) Stop timer using toggle TRAINER switch
4) Timer will display UP xy:zw
5) Without turning off the radio, select any other model
6) Now, select model "A" again.
7) Model "A" will now have an UP timer. If you hold the toggle TRAINER switch to reset, it will reset to the original DOWN timer.
8) But if you power the radio off before resetting the timer, the UP timer will be saved in the model settings.

My solution is to:
Always power off the radio, and then power the radio back on BEFORE changing models.

In the other threads I've read, people who contacted Horizon Hobby were told to send in the radio and Horizon would have a look. But I haven't heard if they have a firmware upgrade yet.

Good luck to everyone!
Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:51 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
Your solution of powering off the radio when changing models is not only your solution but should be the way to go. On the DX8 you can change models without cycling the power but the recommended method is to cycle the power to access the specific screen to change models.

Not only that but I think it may of happended to me once and I remember reading about it once also that I changed models when messing around in the house with the radio and never fully cycle to power or I did something that caused it to cycle on its own and thaught to myself that that would not of been good had I been flying.

I think the idea is that in theory after you were done the first flight and landed you should of power off the radio after you powered off the plane.

Then you would of needed to power it back on to change models not affecting the timer setting of the preivous model.

But nice detective work on finding the steps to reproduce it, will have to try it out on my backup radio (DX6i)
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:36 PM
Close enough
Joined Jun 2008
898 Posts
I cut and pasted my original post above in an email to Horizon Hobbies regarding this issue. So as a follow up for this thread, below is what Horizon Hobbies sent back to me. I'm sure they are aware of the issue now. So my take on it is that they may update your firmware if you send the radio back, but they are not going offer wholesale firmware upgrades to every DX6i owner. I'd be interested to know if anyone has sent back their radio and if the issue was resolved.

Marc

=================
Response from Horizon Hobby:
Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support.

We appreciate your feedback regarding this issue. While this type of
condition is not a design attribute, we would certainly be happy to
evaluate this condition in our service center to see it there is a
solution. If you would like to send in your transmitter for evaluation,
please use the Service Center Repair Request Form found here.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:50 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
I am *constantly* switching my planes from DOWN to UP timer without meaning to. I'm not sure it's happening the way detailed above - I'm never sure exactly *how* it happens - but it surely does tick me off.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,169 Posts
Thanks, Atomic!

I fly a lot of different models on my Dx6i, and this happens to me a lot, including just today, and it is annoying -- not being able to trust your timer is a very bad!

I will now be sure to turn off the transmitter and only change models when I'm on a 'fresh' boot of the radio.

Obviously this precaution should NOT be required, but if it manages to avoid the glitch, then I'll make it part of my habit.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
I just want to fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,076 Posts
I am sure I have always changed models the way it is described by AtomicFlyer and it still does its own thing whenever it wants to. Sometines if I reset the timer by holding the switch (I use the "Throttle Cut" PB) it may go back to the programmed state. If it doesn't it will be saved with the wrong set up. Not only the UP/DOWN changes but the time will also change sometimes.
It is annoying.

David
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:04 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
I switch models without powering mine off, but I also reset the timer before doing anything else. I've never had this happen at all, so either my method works or I have freak firmware
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:20 PM
Close enough
Joined Jun 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I switch models without powering mine off, but I also reset the timer before doing anything else. I've never had this happen at all, so either my method works or I have freak firmware
Yup, a reset before shutting off the radio works for me too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Marc
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
Now want to know something even more weird.

Start your timer and
Carefully look at it counting down or up. It will skip digits.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
Close enough
Joined Jun 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Now want to know something even more weird.

Start your timer and
Carefully look at it counting down or up. It will skip digits.
Yeah, it's a squirrely little timer for sure. I wouldn't use it to time the re-entry rockets on your space capsule.

Marc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Hi gents, there's another way it messes up but I can't duplicate it. I came home today to fly my 450, turned on my tx and it was set to the 500 I flew yesterday. Changed model to 450, toggled trainer as always, flew. Glanced at tx and it was upcounting at 10 + minutes, it should be down counting from 6 minutes. Landed all fine, didn't turn tx off and held trainer switch to reset, reset to down counter 6 minutes.

TX was definitely off (alkalines are at 5.9 volts so it wasn't on for 15+ hours) when I started.

Sorry about the whirly talk in the plank thread but maybe best to actually start checking the timer as a preflight.

Cheers,
Ken
Daddy. is online now Find More Posts by Daddy.