HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Build Log
The best possible hexa for Sony NEX 5...

I work as a fulltime televison-cameraman and the last few months I have experimented with different kinds of multicopters and GoPro to see if I would manage to add filming from the air to my repertoire. I soon found out that small quads and GoPros were not good enough. On the other end ogf the scae you have octos with Canon 550d/5d but those are simply too big for me.
A good hexa with a Sony Nex 5 seems to me to be a good compromise and thats what I wil build here.

So here is my goals with this build:
-First of all I want to build the best HEXA one possible can have for a Sony NEX 5
-The hexa should have smooth and vibrationfree filming with no rolling shutter problems
-The hexa should be not to big so it can easily transported

I have decided that since I will use this professionally I will not focus on keeping the costs down allthough I will do that when it doesnt interfere with quality.

So here is what I so far have decided to use:
Controller: Hoverfly pro - its good quality, have output for two-axis camera-gimbal, I have this one already

Motors: AXI 2217-20 short shaft - these are very expensive but recommende by "everyone, regarded as having very little vibrations

ESCs: Jeti advance pro SB - yes, these are insanely expensive but they are recommended by AXI themselves and are regareded as being some of the best ESCs out there.

Propellers: APC 10x4.7 Slowflyers - Slowflyers are regarded by many as good for smooth stable flying, 10" is chosen to keep the size of the HEXA down

Frame: Homemade w/centerplate and landing gear from mikrocopter - I could have just bought droidworx but I decided to build my own one. I have got some 10mm square alu pipes and that enables me to use stuff from mikrkopter since they are also 10mm

I will provide this build-log with reports as the build goes forward. I guess I will need a lot of help too.
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
taken for later use
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
This is a video I have made with a Gaui 330xs and a gopro.
It shows what kind of filming I am after.
Even though this video is stabilized in Final Cut you see some vibrations, unstable movements and rolling shutter. This I hope to avoid by using a heavier copter, more propellers and a better camera like Sony NEX 5.

Fie from above (2 min 1 sec)
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Here is a list of interesting sources for facts and general reading I have used during this build. The list will be updated continously:

-Since I use the AXI 2217-20 short shaft motor I found this pdf to be very helpful when calculating how much weight these motor can carry.

-These videos from hoverfly pro are absolutely fantastic if you want to learn the basics about multicopterbuilding.
Last edited by babanan; Aug 07, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
The build has started, surprising problem occured

I have now started the build in that sense that some of the shipments has arrived and I have started to cut some frame parts.
I did also start to mount the propellers on the AXI-motors and I thought that would be a breeze. That was apparently not the case.

The shaft on the AXI is 5mm (0.197 inches) and when using the closest prop-adapter it seems to be too tight since the prop adapter is 4.8 mm (0.188 inches) I manage to press the plastic propadapter down on the shaft of the AXI when the adapter is NOT inside the propeller. When it is inside the propeller it is impossible. (you can see the propeller and the two possible prop-adapter on the blueish picture)

So what shall I do?
I did use my 5mm drill on one of the adapters and I managed to get the propeller down on the shaft that way. I dont like that sollution thogh because it can accidentaly move the center on the propeller.
Should I instead have used much force and pressed it down on the shaft? Does it exist other adapters I can use?....

Help me out here with your experiences
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:45 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,924 Posts
Are you set on using aluminium arms ?

Will wooden arms give better damping of vibrations ?

Good luck with the project.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Are you set on using aluminium arms ?

Will wooden arms give better damping of vibrations ?

Good luck with the project.
Wooden arms will be much heavier so I wont use wood. I will however make a good system for dampening the vibrations thats left after balancing.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:21 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Hei Espen!
I use a small round, tapered file. Holding the plastic ring with a pair of pipe pliars (big jaw, "rÝrtang") and just enough pressure to stop it moving around with the file, i push and turn the file around inside the ring til it has filed away enough plastic to provide a snug fit.

If you look closely at your prop hub, you may well find the hole isn't even centered exactly in the hub. A few tenths of a millimeter off centre hole in the prop adapter ring won't make a big difference in my opinion. You need a tapered file for this, so as it files away the plastic, it can be inserted further into the ring. I'll post a picture if my explanation is unclear.
Regards,
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:41 PM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
subscribe
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:04 PM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
I carry my Nex 3, a GoPro and the 1.3ghz FPV video downlink with my quad. I think one of the most important thing you should do is ensure that you have atleats 1 props length between each prop set. The Nex 3 is triggered mechanically with a custom shutter release.
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
I have read a lot about High End ESC actually not working as well as the simple ESC such as the Turnigy Plush. The AXIs are great but the Jetis might actually be a big waste of $$$...
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Last edited by nicnaimless; Aug 08, 2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: double post
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnaimless View Post
I carry my Nex 3, a GoPro and the 1.3ghz FPV video downlink with my quad. I think one of the most important thing you should do is ensure that you have atleats 1 props length between each prop set. The Nex 3 is triggered mechanically with a custom shutter release.
What motors do you use?
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babanan View Post
What motors do you use?
http://montorc.com/M2814Shaft.aspx
swinging APC 12x3.8 props and Turnigy 30A ESC. Hours of flight without issue so far.

I question the Nex 5 for video though. It has no live video out unless you use a HDMI to composite converter and it only shoots 30 frames per second. Seems like the Panasonic GH1 might be better for video. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nex 3 but I focus on still photos only right now.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
So here it is, flying for the very first time today:
My homemade hexacopter (1 min 10 sec)