HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:27 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Discussion
UDI's "Bigger" Helis

I don't know if this has already been mentioned here but take a look at these 3 channel models by UDI that just over a foot long, and use RF control equipment.

http://www.hobby-estore.com/UDI-RC-R...di-u6-blue.htm

http://www.hobby-estore.com/UDI-RC-3...udi-u3-red.htm

And this Bell 412 is just plain gorgeous!
http://www.hobby-estore.com/Bell-U5-...-u5-yellow.htm

UDI products are great and hopefully these larger models carry over that reputation.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
I'm digging the Bell!
chanerz is offline Find More Posts by chanerz
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:02 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,699 Posts
Well Ed, you will already know what my favourite of these three is

There is only one heli there and as far as I know it only comes in Yellow, white and black

I keep doing a search for someplace that sells the Bell 412 but I have had no success, I even emailed UDI asking if they knew where I could buy one but received no reply

If you find a supplier, anywhere but the US because of the shipping costs, you would think they were getting us to pay off their national debt rofl, PM me and don't tell anyone else

Keep flying high and safe - John
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:32 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
John,

I KNEW you couldn't resist! Yes, this 13" model (Bell 412) would be a perfect companion for it's micro sized counterpart.

If I find any supplier that sells internationally at a reasonable cost, I'll let you know,.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post

There is only one heli there and as far as I know it only comes in Yellow, white and black

I keep doing a search for someplace that sells the Bell 412 but I have had no success, I even emailed UDI asking if they knew where I could buy one but received no reply

If you find a supplier, anywhere but the US because of the shipping costs, you would think they were getting us to pay off their national debt rofl, PM me and don't tell anyone else

Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:12 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Those are nice looking mid size RF controlled 130 motored 3 CH toys, but the shipped price will make or break the deal.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:58 PM
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2011
63 Posts
I was banking on the UDI reputation, owning a U807 and having good luck with it. I ordered a U2, and unfortunately, it was the worst heli that I have bought. It might have lasted ten flights before it failed to respond to controls and refused to fly.

http://www.udirc.com/en/show.asp?id=301
Spanner1751 is offline Find More Posts by Spanner1751
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:44 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
You may have simply gotten a bad unit. It happens even with the best of brands. But then again, it's the ultra micros (U801, 802, 803, etc.) that most of us know as great models but I don't think there is much experience in our group with these larger helis.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner1751 View Post
I was banking on the UDI reputation, owning a U807 and having good luck with it. I ordered a U2, and unfortunately, it was the worst heli that I have bought. It might have lasted ten flights before it failed to respond to controls and refused to fly.

Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:46 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
DT, I'm pretty sure good deals should pop up on Amazon or eBay or some other online vendor that will make it more attractive price wise on these. Now we need some feedback on the performance and durability on these helis.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Those are nice looking mid size RF controlled 130 motored 3 CH toys, but the shipped price will make or break the deal.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:10 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,699 Posts
It is heartbreaking when you get a bad one, I have quite a few of the smaller UDI helis and out of thirteen I have one bad heli.
It will fly but then it seems to lose the IR connection and drops like a stone, this happens when there is no direct sunlight and I don't have my plasma tv on so there is nothing else that can interfere with the signal.
I would not consider returning it to Hong Kong, that would cost more than I paid for it so it is there for spare parts for the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner1751 View Post

Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:28 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
It is heartbreaking when you get a bad one, I have quite a few of the smaller UDI helis and out of thirteen I have one bad heli.
True of all makes and models, and until you get into the $50 and up range returns may be impractical. I have had bad samples of several helis and only returned a $100-range one for replacement.

In many cases you'll get one that is flyable but "just not right." The idea of a parts heli is a good way to look at it, but still a heartbreaker. I have one little guy I'll still fly even though he'll never trim out properly. His brother is an amazing flyer though.

This is part of the bargain you make buying from a distant seller. A local shop will charge more in part because they'll see more returns for these (and other) reasons.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:25 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
Quote:

I agree the Huey rocks lol!...I called Hobby-eStore today(service gal was very friendly) , and they have them in stock at their L.A. warehouse! When you select shipping just select "other" and it will switch from UPS to USPS and the shipping(for me) from L.A. to Maryland was only $10...not sure what everyone is griping about? Just wish they accepted pay-pal, but oh well..
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero
Old Sep 07, 2011, 01:01 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,699 Posts
This is my reason for griping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disposable Hero View Post
When you select shipping just select "other" and it will switch from UPS to USPS and the shipping(for me) from L.A. to Maryland was only $10...not sure what everyone is griping about?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:26 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Wow that's a lot to pay for shipping! Sooner or later this model should be available on eBay UK, or any of the online sellers that charge a much more reasonable cost for shipping.

Ed

Quote:
This is my reason for griping!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:40 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
ahh..I see...for some reason they want your left arm to ship it to the UK.....hopefully that will change soon...need to get a UK shop to stock a few or something..
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:47 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,699 Posts
What I find really strange is I have bought n scale trains and rolling stock from the US and only pay $9 for shipping

So somewhere along the line someone is making a right killing with these ridiculous charges