HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:31 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
Question
How Much Flight Time on 500 Electric Heli's ?

When I was looking at 450 heli's way back then, all I could find reference to was 4 or 5 minute flights. Turns out all I heard from were those who prefer that much time full bore.
I like to sport fly also , with a few loops and lots of high speed flight, general sport flying. So after a few 'fessed up, it turned out I could get 10 to 15 minutes on a 450 heli set up for sport flying.

I hope this is a repeat with the 500's but for a year now, the longest flight I have heard of on one was 7 minutes. Anyone getting more than that ? And with what batteries ?

I looked at nitro's and gassers, the search was not good.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
6,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
When I was looking at 450 heli's way back then, all I could find reference to was 4 or 5 minute flights. Turns out all I heard from were those who prefer that much time full bore.
I like to sport fly also , with a few loops and lots of high speed flight, general sport flying. So after a few 'fessed up, it turned out I could get 10 to 15 minutes on a 450 heli set up for sport flying.

I hope this is a repeat with the 500's but for a year now, the longest flight I have heard of on one was 7 minutes. Anyone getting more than that ? And with what batteries ?

I looked at nitro's and gassers, the search was not good.
I don't know of anyone getting 15 minutes routinely but you could get 10 minutes+ or so with the correct setup and flying style. I get an average of 8 minutes on my 500 with just normal circuit flying and no 3D. That is using 2600 Mah 6 cell packs and a 2500 RPM head speed. You could go up to 3000 Mah packs and run a lower head speed with proper gearing and stretch the flight time out.

You need a mental break after 10 minutes or so anyway. I personally would not want to keep flying for 15 minutes or more even if I could.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:03 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
I could draw 15 minute Shogun 400 setups dry. When having fun, time flies for me.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:10 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,483 Posts
my fly barless 500 gets about 10min at but im running a gov'ed head speed of 2600rpm
this is on 6s 3200mAh packs
id bet in normal mode you could get 15 min out of a pack just hovering and slow forward flight
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:25 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
I do 7 min. on mine, 6s 2800...Im sure i can get a lil more. But 7 is enough for me. Its alot of concentration time. ha
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 02:38 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
I couldn't just fly slow, I like to use the wind to pop up some free altitude then tumble around or build up some speed then use it for aerobatics, an airplane technique. Saves lots of power.

I would have to run the calculator to see how much head speed I would need for at least 50 mph. I'd settle for 8 minutes.

Well, I have been out in the sticks with no DSL. I have been looking at the electrics and the Radikal G20 gasser. It's much more expensive than an electric but gets a 30 minute flight on 12oz of gasoline ! I finally saw the videos of it and I do know it's going to catch on good. Check 'em out.

But now I also want a quiet clean electric larger than a 450. I think I need to study the ECO 8 some more to see why it got such long flight times on such sickly batteries as 10S 2500 mah nimh.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 04:09 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,483 Posts
very very very low head speed the ECO 8 wasnt a 3D bird by any means
you could get a 600 or 700 and fly with a low head speed and get long flight times but your not going to do much other then forward flight and hover
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:47 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
Seems like IDLE UP 1,2,3 comes to mind here. These radios do need a ramp time setting option for switching speeds like that. Hear that AirFutSpekTec ? That's almost what we need, the AirFutSpekTec radio but wth the above option.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:40 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
It's easy to set up governor mode to give you different head speeds in the three flight modes, or you can set up your throttle curves for a similar effect. I tend to fly my 450 at 2800 for 7 minute flights, but can stretch it out in calm weather in normal mode at about 2500, which gives me up to an additional 2 minutes, or use 3000 in stunt 2 for not much over 5 minutes.

Henseleits have always done a lot with minimal headspeed. I think the key is mass centralisation, which makes the heli more agile, allowing a lower HS.

I'd love to see a direct comparison between a flybar and FBL setup - i.e results from the same heli, before and after FBL conversion. There's no doubt FBL is more efficient.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Aug 07, 2011, 09:48 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
I know how to set up the different IDLE UP speeds, but it's the sudden jerk when switching between them that I was joking about above. The CC governor has an option to lock in after a stable speed ids reached. I did forget, governor mode is more power efficient than throttle curve compensation.

BTW in case anyone didn't figure it out, the AirFutSpekTec radio is Airtronics, Futaba, Spektrum, and Hitec all rolled into one radio operating system. And it still wouldn't have a programmable throttle speed ramp between IDLE UP settings.

Maybe the Turnigy 9X hackers will see this and say yeaaaaa, that's what we need.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:18 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
I know how to set up the different IDLE UP speeds, but it's the sudden jerk when switching between them that I was joking about above. The CC governor has an option to lock in after a stable speed ids reached. I did forget, governor mode is more power efficient than throttle curve compensation.
Sorry, Chophop, I didn't want to sound patronising! Many people don't seem to bother with governor mode.

You're right about the abruptness of the transition in HS between the different flight modes, however. I believe the fancy name-brand ESC's even have adjustable parameters, but my experience to date has been with cheapish 40A ESC's on my 450's.

First of all, the 40A Turnigy Superbrain seems to do a great job of holding the HS constant - but when you flip from one flight mode and HS to the next, you see quite a large current spike. In fairness, however, it's no larger than spikes I can generate in non-governor mode just by hooning about with the heli.

The downside of the SB governor mode is that it seems to wear out the OWB really quickly - in fact in as few as four or five flights. When I look at the mainshaft cover, it looks like it's been eaten away. The first symptom is the OWB locking up.

Next in effectiveness in governor mode is my Hobbywing Platinum Pro 40a. since it's not a data-logging ESC like the Superbrain, I can only rely on my ears to judge the HS - but it doesn't seem to hold it as tightly as the SB. I've yet to wear out a OWB with it, though, even after more than 50 flights.

I also have a Turnigy Blue Series 40A ESC, and governor mode on that is perhaps just a bit less effective than on the Hobbywing, again judging only by ear.

I'd love to hear from people using the larger SB on 600's, to see if governor mode causes similar OWB problems, or what kind of current spikes you get when changing flight modes.

Any CC ICE owners - can you adjust the parameters to smooth out the transition between different throttle settings?
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Aug 07, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
I was afraid you would think I was offended and chuckled, type has little accent.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:23 AM
Joined Oct 2008
105 Posts
IMO first when you slow down the head speed you take the ESC and motor out of it sweet spot and it will kill your ESC and motor..
You then need to change out the motor kv and pinion ... If you want more flight time,,,,, just buy a lot of batteries...!!! It's just that simple ..
And if you thing batteries cost to much... Just wait until you try glow fuel !!! It cost about 4 to 5 dollars a flight!! And that just for glow fuel!! Most of us old timers know ( fly helicopter for years.) Can tell you ,, you lucky to get about 10 flights out of a gallon of glow fuel at 40 to 50 dollars a gallon !!!
DCT1 is offline Find More Posts by DCT1
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:28 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,401 Posts
I may do a Sport Heli experiment involving 500 blades, head, and boom. It may turn out to be 500g lighter if done with weight as the primary goal. Weight is the main factor other than blade drag.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,483 Posts
Quote:

BTW in case anyone didn't figure it out, the AirFutSpekTec radio is Airtronics, Futaba, Spektrum, and Hitec all rolled into one radio operating system. And it still wouldn't have a programmable throttle speed ramp between IDLE UP settings.

Maybe the Turnigy 9X hackers will see this and say yeaaaaa, that's what we need.

with CC ESC you can set a ramp up when change from one gov setting to another

i dont run normal any more with my setup so i go from 2200 to 2600 rpm
and with how i have it set up it will ramp up from the lower speed to the higher one with out sudden jump