Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:18 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,949 Posts
LOL, well some bigger brushes will help a little. I was watching you brush on the resin and was like man, this guy has some serious patience haha. What was that...1" brush? yeah that fuse is going to take some serious time and materials! Will you need to add any materials to thicken up the mold. I have seen guys use something like sand between layers to thicken up the structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
BTW.. i'm looking for some slave labor (i'll provide lunch and dinner) to help with doing the fuselage mold. Their is just so much surface area to cover, I'm going to need at least 1 extra set of hands.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,949 Posts
I gotcha. I honestly never even tried to put my plugs back into the molds. I just assumed they were so tight in there and so hard to get out that I would never be able to take them out and then put them back in. I could see it would better to take them out and clean up the parting line before moldign the older half though since I used clay. I may try the body filler mthod and taking the part out next time....if there is a next time. Thanks and keep it going!

Quote:
Brian,
Probably no reason for doing one over the other, other than personal preference. I've seen it done both ways and no one could ever give a real reason for why one way was better than the other. Honestly, if the mold was a tight fit to the part, the part will be in the exact same position in the mold anyways.

The only reason my plug came out of the mold first is b/c the plug to parting plane fit was so tight, it was easier popping the mold off the plug/parting plane than trying to remove the plug/mold as one. Plus it makes for some good photo's mid-way through the process
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
lol.. dead on man! 1" brush's are all I have, and i'm waiting to put in a fairly large order with harbor freight for some 2" and 4" brushes since they have them for a couple of bucks for 36 of em..

I'm not sure how I am going to thicken up the molds. I believe i should be alright since the layup is balanced. The current molds are just under 1/4" thick per half.

for the fuselage, I think all the curves and parting area's should make it to where i shouldn't have to thicken them much at all. I am planning on putting poraver on the bottom of the fuselage between the nacelles though so as to stiffen that area up.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,949 Posts
Yeah I just got a sales flyer for harbor freight and saw they had a great deal on brushes! I go through the 2" like crazy...use them for everything.

I totally forgot about that...yeah if you build a suport structure under the mold halves, that will stiffen the whole thing up as well as keeps it from moving around while laying up the part. My fuse mold is just under 1/4" think and but a very small mold compared to yours....60" long fuse. Its 90ozs of glass. Very stiff, but if I wanted to twist it I could. I should have put a support in it... at least plywood on edge along the length of it or soemthing. I was just anxious to lay up a part and didn't bother. I see where the glider guys will put steel bars, sand, and all kinds of crap in their molds to keep them straight. It was my first mold and wasn;t going crazy like that.

Quote:
lol.. dead on man! 1" brush's are all I have, and i'm waiting to put in a fairly large order with harbor freight for some 2" and 4" brushes since they have them for a couple of bucks for 36 of em..

I'm not sure how I am going to thicken up the molds. I believe i should be alright since the layup is balanced. The current molds are just under 1/4" thick per half.

for the fuselage, I think all the curves and parting area's should make it to where i shouldn't have to thicken them much at all. I am planning on putting poraver on the bottom of the fuselage between the nacelles though so as to stiffen that area up.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
My rudder and stab molds are 106oz of glass

The fuselage, i'm planning to double that atleast. I've got a 8 foot wide roll of 20oz cloth that is 100' of cloth rolled up. using about 4' of that roll at a time is 25 layers of cloth, so 12 1/2 layers per side of the mold. The Top is easy, the bottom will be fun. A .026" thick per layer of cloth and 12 layers, thats just under 3/8" of glass. So i'm thinking with a few layers of 2oz and 6oz + the 20oz, that should be a 1/2" thick mold no problem. Then if i stuff poraver in the odd-shaped parts, It'll be 9" thick down the center of the fuselage. The nose section will also have about 1/2 a dozen flanges on it running different directions due to the lumps, bumps and ducts, so those should be strong enough to keep the nose from moving around.

Molds construction is kind of an art. And you only figure it out by doing it and seeing what happens. Once the molds are done, i may vacuum bag some 1/4" thick foam to all of them as well, idk, we will see
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:52 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,949 Posts
Holy crap, that's insane!! Ummm, yeah you should be good to go!

Quote:
My rudder and stab molds are 106oz of glass

The fuselage, i'm planning to double that atleast. I've got a 8 foot wide roll of 20oz cloth that is 100' of cloth rolled up. using about 4' of that roll at a time is 25 layers of cloth, so 12 1/2 layers per side of the mold. The Top is easy, the bottom will be fun. A .026" thick per layer of cloth and 12 layers, thats just under 3/8" of glass. So i'm thinking with a few layers of 2oz and 6oz + the 20oz, that should be a 1/2" thick mold no problem. Then if i stuff poraver in the odd-shaped parts, It'll be 9" thick down the center of the fuselage. The nose section will also have about 1/2 a dozen flanges on it running different directions due to the lumps, bumps and ducts, so those should be strong enough to keep the nose from moving around.

Molds construction is kind of an art. And you only figure it out by doing it and seeing what happens. Once the molds are done, i may vacuum bag some 1/4" thick foam to all of them as well, idk, we will see
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
The most difficult parts of molding the F-14 will be the fuselage. I am expecting to have the fuselage done in 6 to 8 different sections. And that isn't including the canopy and over-wing fairing molds. I'm doing all the smaller (read easier) stuff first so as to get a rythm and process down. Plus it allows me to see how much more material I am going to need (I am expecting to use 15-20 gallons of laminating resin on the fuselage alone).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:00 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,949 Posts
Oh man I am a moron, I didn't ven think about makign the fuse mold in sections.

15-20 gallons!!! That is just hard to even wrap my head around. Such a cool project. F-14's are my favorite scale jet!

Quote:
The most difficult parts of molding the F-14 will be the fuselage. I am expecting to have the fuselage done in 6 to 8 different sections. And that isn't including the canopy and over-wing fairing molds. I'm doing all the smaller (read easier) stuff first so as to get a rythm and process down. Plus it allows me to see how much more material I am going to need (I am expecting to use 15-20 gallons of laminating resin on the fuselage alone).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
More progress:

the 2oz and 6oz cloth layers are laid:

The fore vertical stab fairings have a coat of primer on them:

And the modifications to the rear of the fuselage nacelles have started. I have to sand the shape to a slight curve down to the green-line, this will give a 8" diameter exhaust nozzle:

Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
The rest of the fabric has been applied to the other halves of the 2 molds. These are now done, now just gotta wait for them to cure before I can pop the tops

I've gotta leave tomorrow morning to ferry a plane to our Mississippi base, I should be home late tomorrow. And its looking pretty realistic that I will be headed to our Sarasota, FL base on Sunday afternoon/Monday morning. Unfortunately I will be their for about 6 weeks.. Pesky 4 letter word "work".. Good news is, its more $$$$ which means more supplies.

Either way, i'm going to attempt to get the other stab molded before I leave along with the canopy, windscreen and the vertical stabs ready to be molded for when I return.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:45 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
863 Posts
wow great build i had better subscribe!!!
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Finally got back home and was able to steal a few minutes to get the molds trimmed up and separated. The Rudder plug was a bit difficult to get out due to that bump, but it came out after a bit of work. Stab came out no problems. I've got to order the bonded fasteners, washers and wing-nuts, but these 2 molds are completed essentially. I'm leaving monday afternoon/evening for work until 23rd of September, so unfortunately not much will be done other than CAD work. The plus side, is i'll be able to order more materials, get my vacuum bagging system finished up and i'm going to order the prototype parts for the wing pivot assembiles.

here's a few pictures of the stab molds. I didn't get any of the rudder, but they turned out great as well.

Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:45 PM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
408 Posts
Looks great Thomas!!
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
thanks nick!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Last update of "real" work on this for awhile...

Since my flight doesn't leave till 8pm tonight, i've pretty much have all day to do some things.

So, first off was getting the other stab waxed and the parting plane fit correct. Then the parting planes and registration bumps were waxed. The other stab is now ready to be molded once PVA is applied (which will be done when i get back).

Then all 24 pieces of cloth for the stab were cut (this takes about 30 minutes). Again, 8 layers of 2oz, 8 layers of 6oz and 8 layers of 18oz, each 1/2 of each cloth oriented between 0/90 and bias (45/45).

Then in anticipation of the nose cone, canopy, windscreen and ventral fin being molded these were all waxed:

An order was also placed for 40 sheets of airex foam. I'm suspecting this will last for 1 or 2 airframes.