HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:02 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,458 Posts
Have you guys heard of Norbert Rauch? He's been making models of airliners for ages, and among his offerings is also a DC-10. All his models are in 1/16 scale, this means that the DC-10 is a large model, but well sized for a pair of 120mm fans. His method of construction is fiberglass nose, tailsection and nacelles, and balsa planked foam cores for the rest of the plane. Here's a link for you : http://www.rauch-airliner.com/Introduction.htm
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:59 AM
Joined Oct 2003
198 Posts
Video of a KC-10 powered by a gas turbine.
Flight was o.k. but the pilot landed the plane into the high grass off the runway
premier vol KC 10 complet (6 min 6 sec)
Kapnos is online now Find More Posts by Kapnos
Last edited by Kapnos; Aug 14, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:17 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Have you guys heard of Norbert Rauch? He's been making models of airliners for ages, and among his offerings is also a DC-10. All his models are in 1/16 scale, this means that the DC-10 is a large model, but well sized for a pair of 120mm fans. His method of construction is fiberglass nose, tailsection and nacelles, and balsa planked foam cores for the rest of the plane. Here's a link for you : http://www.rauch-airliner.com/Introduction.htm
Arngeir,
I inquired to norbert about his DC-10, but the price of the price of the parts and shipping was just unreasonable (the fiberglass parts weren't to bad, it was the foam parts). After all was said it done and with the horrible state of the US dollar, the price was right at $2500 for a short kit. I believe i could make a 1/7 scale DC-10 airframe for that kind of money, and speaking on a 1/7th scale version. I'm actually slightly thinking about it as crazy as that sounds. It would definitely be a one-off build though and would probably need a 2 or 3 P-200 jetcats, or some home-made EDF's that would be some BIG fans to fill the nacelles
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
fan

a home made fan would be killer. you'de just need to machine a hub to accept cut prop blades. here's a pic of what Olle did for a home made fan. enjoy.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
Hadn't seen this before, amazing, very well and truly subscribed!

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
Mold Construction is beginning:

Here's a WHOLE bunch of fiberglass cloth cut to shape for one horizontal stab and rudder mold. this is only 3/4 of it, as 16 pieces of cloth have already been applied:

1/2 of a horizontal stab and rudder mold in progress:

Video #1
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #27 (30 min 54 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
a home made fan would be killer. you'de just need to machine a hub to accept cut prop blades. here's a pic of what Olle did for a home made fan. enjoy.
Thats pretty much exactly what i had envisioned, but I was thinking carbon fiber/kevlar molded blades would be even cooler.. but the cut down prop blades look pretty good as well.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
More videos:

How to build an F-14D Tomcat #28 (27 min 31 sec)

How to build an F-14D tomcat #29 (13 min 20 sec)

Completed horizontal stab half:

Completed Rudder half:
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
After getting home from work and doing a brake job on my truck, I got to do a few things. First up was making that fabric rack/ cutting table. I used a combination of 2x4's and 1x3's to build it. The cutting top is 1/4" thick tempered hard-board. This stuff is strong enough to allow you to run a rotary cutter down it cutting through 18oz glass cloth w/o leaving any marks on the surface. It is also very smooth so the fabric doesn't snag. I also made it just tall enough so it would roll (it has 4 swivel castors on the bottom of it) under the work table up against the wall of my shop. I've got enough room to hold 8 rolls of cloth 48" wide or narrower if I were to use both sides of the table. Right now, i've only get 4 rolls hanging, and one of those rolls is 50" wide, so i've got to work out something to get that one to hang.

Then i trimmed all the excess fabric from the 2 molds.

Then I got bored so I started looking at molds. The horizontal stab mold was still slightly waxy/rubbery feeling so i left it alone, but the rudder mold was pretty much completely cured. So i popped the mold off the rudder and its parting plane... SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! we have the very first half of a mold of an F-14 part done!

So since its going to be a day or 2 before I can mold the other half of the rudder, i put the rudder back in the parting planes, then clamped the mold half back to the parting plane board. I'll leave it their to sit till I am able to get to mold it.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:37 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,431 Posts
My hat goes off to you for the sheer amount of work involved on this F-14 project.

Your detailed reports/pics are great and allow many of us to get a taste of what a project like this is like....
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
SUCCESS!! horizontal stab mold half was separated about an hour ago:

Close up of some of the panel line and antenna details:

Then the halves were rough trimming around the perimeter,the stab., rudder and the mold halves were waxed. Then PVA was sprayed on the inside surface of each mold half and while still wet, the plugs were put into place. As the PVA dries it helps hold the plugs in place.

Then the plug and mold flanges were sprayed with PVA. These will be left to dry for an hour and a half, then I will start the other 1/2 of the mold layups. I'm planning to have the other half's molded today so when i get back home from work on Thurs. morning/afternoon they will be ready be separated. I still need to get some bonded fasteners to glue to one of the mold halves, so I can just use fender washers and wing-nuts to clamp the halves together.

Video of the mold being separated:
How to Build an F-14D Tomcat #30 (8 min 56 sec)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
Unbelieveble!!!! Question for you? How come you take the stab out of mold after molding the one side. I have only done one mold so have very little experience, but when I was doing mine, I was told to remove the parting board, but leave the part in the first half of the mold before laying up the other side. Is there a benefit to taking it out first and then doing the other side?

Thanks!

Brian
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Unbelieveble!!!! Question for you? How come you take the stab out of mold after molding the one side. I have only done one mold so have very little experience, but when I was doing mine, I was told to remove the parting board, but leave the part in the first half of the mold before laying up the other side. Is there a benefit to taking it out first and then doing the other side?

Thanks!

Brian
Brian,
Probably no reason for doing one over the other, other than personal preference. I've seen it done both ways and no one could ever give a real reason for why one way was better than the other. Honestly, if the mold was a tight fit to the part, the part will be in the exact same position in the mold anyways.

The only reason my plug came out of the mold first is b/c the plug to parting plane fit was so tight, it was easier popping the mold off the plug/parting plane than trying to remove the plug/mold as one. Plus it makes for some good photo's mid-way through the process
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
I've got the first layer of surface coat resin on both the horizontal and rudder mold. I'll let that sit for about 20 minutes, then do the other coat.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post

Thanks!

Brian

BTW.. i'm looking for some slave labor (i'll provide lunch and dinner) to help with doing the fuselage mold. Their is just so much surface area to cover, I'm going to need at least 1 extra set of hands.