HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
I haven't done any work on the Tomcat since well.. the last post i put on here showing work being done! I had some issues earlier in the year getting the Semi-perm mold release (it was on back-order), then finally got that... But shortly afterwards, I became completely swamped with work (like home less than 12 hours at a time, twice a week from Mid may till the beginning of Sept!). Now that winter is upon us, work is slowing down, but I am at a point where I need to source the machined components for the wing and fuselage (landing gear) in order to go much further than where I am at now. I also still need to figure out the entire resin infusion thing.. Which brings me to the next portion of the update. I got involved in doing a group build with a friend on a 1/5.3 Horten HO-229 (123" wingspan, 56" chord). That project is getting VERY close to being nearly ready to mold (just the center section). now your probably wondering (yea and, I don't care, I want to see more F-14 stuff!). Well, the reason for the side-step onto the HO-229 project, is it is a much simpler project, but still equally complex in shape as the F-14 (lots of curves!). So the HO-229 is going to be the learning process for figuring out the Vacuum Infusion process. Once I get it figured out on the 229, it should provide me with enough "hands on knowledge" to get the F-14 fuselage laid up.. I'll probably lay up a nose section of the fuselage sometime this winter as well, so I can get started on the cockpit Tub, glare shields, etc. And I need to redo a portion of the mold for the canopy frame as well.

AND, to throw a wrench into the gears of all of this, my wife and I are trying to purchase a house.. If that happens, everything will be coming to a screeching Halt as the one we are looking at has absolutely No-where for me to do this kind of work in (matter of fact, i'd be hard pressed to find room to even assemble an arf!). So I'll have to build a new shop/garage... Lots of stuff going on around the home front!

I have done "some" work on the Tomcat though. Since the FEJ models are around and they don't include some of the cool scale stuff, I've been working on a few detail items for my Tomcat and the FEJ one. So If anyone would like a Antenna/probe package, PM me for details.

Thomas

invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
674 Posts
Any updates Invermast? Did you end up buying the house ?
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Nope, havent bought a house. Banks are being tightwad's. i have proven that i have been able to pay a minimum of $850/mo in rent for 10 years and they still wont give us a mortgage with a price of roughly $600/mo

No progress on the F14 either. No money for the needed machined parts and no motivation to mess with it. I have contemplates just selling the entire project, but i would never get my money out of it. I'l get back to it eventually, once i finish these two hortons with my buddy tom and my geebee. After that, i am big project burnt out for awhile
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Alright guys, im tired of my wife bugging me about this waste of money sitting in my garage (aka F14 project) and i really dont see myself getting this finished anytime soon due to the economy and my diminishing income since i started this project.

So, if anyone is interested i am going to start entertaining offers on the entire F14 project.

That will be:
All plugs and molds completed up to this point
All of the CAD files i have done
Paper plans
Vacuum form tooling
Any molded prototype parts
And all of my layup data i have so far

I dont expect this to sell for anywhere close to what i have invested (over $9k and 4 years of work), but im not going to give it away either.
Buyer (if there is one) is responsible for shipping and crating expenses. Local pickup would be preferred.

I would entertain a trade on a turnkey BvM bandit, otherwise no trades
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:18 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
305 Posts
Wow!!
Shane Sunday is offline Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Well, since the horten is done, its time for another project. I planned to take a bit of a break after the horton, but i got bored today

The following picture is a full set of wing and vertical stab molds. They have all been cleaned of wax/pva, and then the frekote mold sealer and 770nc mold release was applied.
These molds are all ready to be primed and layups done. I dont plan to do that though, until all of the molds are cleaned, sealed and release agent applied. So when i get back from Florida at the end of next week ill do the fuselage, stabilators and everything else ive got done.

Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:01 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,212 Posts
Cool...nice to see you back on this
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:05 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Cool! Glad you're back on it

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,543 Posts
Sweet! This has been a real work of art so far.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
674 Posts
Alright! Back in business.
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:25 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,966 Posts
Thomas,

About time slacker , are you going to be Helping Chris out with the A-10 while down there? Have fun and like many have said or will say, nice to have you back on the Kitty.

And for those of you that have not seen the A-10 thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9026043/tm.htm

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Well, since the horten is done, its time for another project. I planned to take a bit of a break after the horton, but i got bored today

The following picture is a full set of wing and vertical stab molds. They have all been cleaned of wax/pva, and then the frekote mold sealer and 770nc mold release was applied.
These molds are all ready to be primed and layups done. I dont plan to do that though, until all of the molds are cleaned, sealed and release agent applied. So when i get back from Florida at the end of next week ill do the fuselage, stabilators and everything else ive got done.

CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Last edited by CRCJA; Apr 19, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Ralph,
If i can get away from work ill be helping chris with the A10. Ive got to off roll about 30-50' of tooling cloth for him. He needs some heavy stuff for his molds and ive got allot that isnt useable for my purposes

If i can get some time off work this summer, im gonna try and get down there when he has his molds done and help him layup a few and bring one back home with me.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
mmmmmm.... progresss

Vertical fin and rudder molds primed and ready to be laid up.. I'll possibly get the flap molds ready tomorrow:

Old May 01, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Thanks to EricJ (Rcu), ive got some of the machined parts for the prototype 3D printed to check their fit and function. So far all the parts look to be in state of ready to be machined from metal, i need to tweak a part or two, but these are all essentially complete

First up is the drama king stabilator and servo moun assembly. This is designed to hold Two JR8711 or equivalent servo's for Eac stabilator, as that is what the ama LMA requires for the torque necessary for the size of this stab. This entire unit is about 7" long from its rear attachment point (four bolts) and its forward attachment point (three bolts). I will probably add another center mounting point between the two servos as well, giving a total of 9-10 bolts mounting it to the fuse structure. The current control arms have a 1" center to center and utilize a push/pull arrangement, i may modify the arms to give an option of 1", 1.25" and 1.5" pushrod locations from the center of the stab pivot shaft. The stab pivot shaft is also supported by a pair of ball bearings.

Also printed out were the wing pivot bearing holder, the pivot bracket and the main wheel rim halves. Here is the main rim showing the detail involved in its machining. These parts need some fine tuning to reduce their weight a bit, but they are ready for machining as well as the tire cavity molds.

Thanks again for the help Eric! I definitely owe you one!

Now i need to collect some materials and the first order of business is to layup a test set of wing panels and load test them in the exact way they will be used, no half way testing on this model!
Old May 01, 2013, 08:31 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,543 Posts
This just gets better and better!
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC