HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
yea i saw it last year when they got the prototype flying. the yak 130 this year was the shiznitz though. That is what i would like to see the F-14 turn into

Then again, i may do a twin P-200 size F-14 after this one, that will be offered in limited quantities (less than 100).
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:53 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
More work in CAD:

Here is a 1/7 scale AIM-54C, length is just under 24"

I am currently finishing up the 1/7 Sidewinder right now.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:41 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you do a Sidewinder in that scale, I would deffinitely be in line to buy some off you. I'm building a 7th scale Jaguar and those would obviously be perfect. noone seems to offer 7th scale weaponry.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
The plan for me, is to eventually offer up a full selection of 1/7th scale ordinance and options for the tomcat.

Ordinance includes:
Sidewinders
Sparrows
Amraams
Phoenix'
Mk.83 iron bombs
Lantirn Pod
External Fuel Tanks (these were almost always carried by the Tomcat).
GBU-16 laser guided bombs

Other options, will be a "A" and "B" model cockpits, Early F-14 exhaust nozzles, and some other odds and ends.

Overall, I should have a fairly large storage of 1/7th scale ordinance's. I was hoping to be able to get the plugs printed off in a 3D prototype printer so they would be ready to mold once they arrived, but the Phoenix missle is $1100 for 1! so they will have to get made by hand, but i'll use the CAD drawings to make up a set of templates and all for parts.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:11 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it might be cheaper to get card tubes of the correct diameter and length, then vaccuum form the rest of the parts. just a thought, instead of going all out with plugs and molds.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
True, that would probably work. i'll probably end up making a plywood "X" shaped part for the top/side profiles, then fill that with some foam. Stuff it in a lathe, sand to shape then fiberglass it for plugs.

The fins on the phoenix are fairly unique in shape and tapers, so I could have those cut with a 3D printer, then make a silicon mold and do some resin cast fins, same with the sparrow, amraams and sidewinder fins.

The down-side, Is now i'm looking at 4 more sets of molds for just missile's. Then come the bombs, and weapons racks, etc etc etc... Good thing this is a long term project! lol
Old Aug 11, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Here is the Aim-9 Sidewinder missile. As its right now, The rear fins (complete with detailed rollerons) will be 3D printed. The forward Fins will be 3D printer in Stainless Steel, and the actual sidewinder body will be fiberglass molded.

Rolleron close-up
Last edited by invertmast; Aug 11, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
beautiful. love it.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Their are still details that will be applied to the side-winders, but their is no point drawing them up in CAD, unless i have those details printed out on a 3D printer (which may be what i do). If that happens, The side-winders and phoenix missiles will be as detailed as the airframe.

here is my construction tool for the Phoenix missile body. I'll build this like you see it from 1/8" ply, then fill the voids with foam and a 3/8" aluminum rod down the slot in the middle. The assembly will be put in a lathe, then sanded down to shape. glass with a few layers of 2oz glass, then filling, painting and more filling, panel lines, screws, etc and then a mold will be made. The Fins will be printed on a 3D printer for the plugs, then resin-cast for the actual ones. Each fin has 4 "pins" that will be glued into the fiberglass missile tube.

Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:50 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,169 Posts
OMG!! You are indeed a Master Craftsman. I am amazed at the detail and amount of work that has gone into this.

Keep it up

I do have one question. Ive always wondered how the wings sweeping back, effect the CG. How do you plan to compensate for this?

Trevor
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
since he's going all out here, I say a weight on a sled that moves with the wing movement.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
since he's going all out here, I say a weight on a sled that moves with the wing movement.
Why did i know someone was going to say this.... This is the biggest mis-conception with sweeping wing airplanes.

Ok,
So here we go. The CG does shift aft as the wing sweeps rearward. Wanna know how much.. 1/4" aft with the weight of my current wings (which aren't very light!).
guess how far aft the center of pressure moves.... 1 1/2" roughly.

So, what the means is, the CG shift is negligible and Not really all that important since the CoP shifts aft as well.. The Center of pressure is the largest concern.

But, what this does, is as the wings sweep aft, the CG shifts aft and the CoP shifts aft. Since the CoP is shifting further aft than the CG, the airplane now needs to be re-trimmed for straight and level flight. With the full-scale, the fuel in the wings helped with much of this. Since i dont have fuel in the wings (maybe i should? haha) the airplane needs a mix in the transmitter so as the wings sweep aft, the elevators are trimmed more "up". So now you can sweep the wings w/o any trim changes.

The entire moving weight thing is something someone said years ago b/c they either didn't know or were to lazy to find out the truth. Granted, if this was a full-scale airplane that had wings that weighted a couple hundred pounds and another couple hundred pounds of fuel, you would need some sort of moving weight system (fuel transfers), but at our weights, this isn't necessary

*disclaimer- this is my personal opinion based on having owned 5 sweeping wing airplanes that have been used to "test" the characteristics of them. two of them used the moving weight thing using different systems and neither worked very well and were very maintenance heavy*
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
The Rio's Instrument panel is now complete. As far as the cockpit goes, i've got both the front and back seat side panels to draw up, the circuit breaker panels (this will just be 1 large panel, that will be trimmed to fit each cockpit), Pilots HUD, and the Rio's handgrip. Then the cockpit parts will be done. I'm also going to plan to do Canopy frame and turtledeck detail's as well.

Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Alright,
So i've decided on the next project. Seeing as how i have some really nice engineering drawings of the DC-10, i figure that would be next. Of course i'd do something different and do the KC-10, but they are essentially the same.

The big question is. Should i do fiberglass molds and an all composite airframe, or keep it simple w/ Fiber-glass nose, tail, nacelle's and wing fairings w/ foam core wings/stab, or really make it completed and have it be all built up?

I'm thinking all composite would be fun, as I can do more litho-plate detailing on the thing
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:31 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you do the DC-10 in foam, it'll be much easier. if you've got a hotwire cutter, it's best to make tamplates and cut foam sections. if you want an idea on how to do that, check out our group jet thread on the scratchbuild forum. we are using foam thickness of 6mm and then fiberglass inside and out. so essentially, you end up with a composite jet that you could apply litho plate to the outside of. if it were me, I think I would do a different composite on the tube section of the airliner though. it would go something like this.................make the sections as described above, then add a thin balsa skin to the inside surface and fiberglass to the outside surface. this would be an incredibly strong sandwich composite of three materials. just a thought.

Rich