Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
could you imagine what a beast this thing would be with twin TF 8000

man on man.....12s 10000 mah per side... sweet with 8 x 6s 5000 mah packs

nice thing is packs have gotten so much cheaper it would be that bad to buy them all.... and you can slap all 8 on a single power lab 8 and charge them at 40 amps in a little over an hour
Ill do the prototype as an edf if you guys start making donations to the edf fund.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78 View Post
Impressive strength with the Stab part! Kind of sad to see it destroyed since it looked so nice. Really amazing to see a part and how fantastic the details have come out on it.
I wonder how much less strong it will be once you complete all your weight saving measures.

Yea it sucked to destroy it, but it was a good learning experIence overall.

The next ones will probably be significantly lighter, and slightly weaker. I am going to replace the layer of carbon with another layer if glass. If all goes sell, it should prove to be plenty strong
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Yesterday/last night was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG night... about 16 hours to get that central fuselage section on the Bottom molded. The good side, its MOLDED and all that is left, is the inside surfaces of the inlet ramps, which will be getting molded this evening/night. So by this time tomorrow, I will have a Complete fuselage mold. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fuselage mold and plug probably weight around 250lbs.. I know the plug alone was 60-70lbs... This thing is heaaavvvyyyy

Video:
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #60 (6 min 18 sec)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,469 Posts
Man, that's a very professional job! I see you're at least 3-steps ahead of what you're working on. Wish I can do as well; usually having to stop & think thru the next step before proceeding. Making for slow progress. I'm guessing your day job is in composites?

Thanks for sharing.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Thanks phil,
Ive typically got a pretty good idea of what im doing for the next 4 or 5 steps. You really need to when it comes to making molds or it could end badly.

Actually, my day job is as a pilot and A&P mechanic. I would love to get a job working in one of lockheed or northrop grummans model shops though
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:37 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,216 Posts
Wow Thomas!
you are getting there..... I bet your going to be so thrilled to pull your first fuse!
It's going to be something to see

hang in there and I know we are all looking forward to seeing this baby
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:38 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,507 Posts
Exciting times!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Its official.

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

Lol.. just kidding...

Fuselage mold is 100% done!

I also did some test samples of sandwich materials last night to see what the weight differences would be. See the video for more info:

Video:

How to Build an F-14D Tomcat #61 (11 min 10 sec)
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,991 Posts
If you watch How its Made where they show how BVM builds their wings, you see they use Balsa for the Ultra Bandit if that tells you anything. BVM would probably use something else if it was better. BVM is completely over priced, but I have to give them credit....they make high quality stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Its official.

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

Lol.. just kidding...

Fuselage mold is 100% done!

I also did some test samples of sandwich materials last night to see what the weight differences would be. See the video for more info:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUY56DE8DYQ
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Brian,
I agree with you on the bvm comments. One thing i have noticed though, is the kit manufacturers overseas are more apt to making largr kits at fairly light weights. If you look into their construction, they use this airex foam on nearly everything, including wing spars.

I have held one of the tomahawk large tomahawk wing panesl (1/4 i think) and it was feather like compared to everything else i have held in that save size, i was amazed
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:10 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,279 Posts
Dude... I really can't come up with the words awesome enough to express how B.A. this thing is...

Freakin' awesome job!
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Through the week I'm going to be pulling the horizontal stab molds out and waxing them b/c next weekend, i'm going to be laying up some more stab parts, as I have a pretty good idea what to do on my next layup of a stab to shed allot of weight and keep it strong.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
well.. I haven't gotten the H.stab molds waxed this week, but I did open up one of the wing molds and got it drilled for its holding clamps... that wing suffered a little damage around the spoiler area, but not to bad, its re-useable..

The Big news of the week, is I've got TWO tomcats sitting in my shop now.. the Plug and the Mold... So here's some photo's showing the mold surface of the fuselge plug. Again, the fuselage received a little damage (mostly detail panels getting bent around the corners) but is still useable with some repair.

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,353 Posts
I see a lot of work still in the future!..Nice job man
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,202 Posts
Thanks man, definitely allot of work left to do