SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
Looks unbelievable cant wait to hear and hopefully see videos of how it flys. Could you please tell me what thickness the airex C-70 you are using is? Also is it there for any particular reason why you use it? I have learnt so much from watching you build this F-14 so thanks heaps
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevc View Post
Looks unbelievable cant wait to hear and hopefully see videos of how it flys. Could you please tell me what thickness the airex C-70 you are using is? Also is it there for any particular reason why you use it? I have learnt so much from watching you build this F-14 so thanks heaps
it is 3mm thick. Depending on the outcome of this part, I may go down to 1.5 or 2mm later on.

The airex is used b/c of its High strength properties and low weight. all of the pieces in the one stab probably weights 2oz
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
How To build an F-14D Tomcat #56 (14 min 22 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:27 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
Looking great, love the cheaper materials/alternatives to actual composite supplies.

Watching your video I was wondering why you didn't use a perforated barrier sheet between the part and the batting/bleeder layer. What do you do with the batting after the part cures? Does it peel away from the part ok?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Looking great, love the cheaper materials/alternatives to actual composite supplies.

Watching your video I was wondering why you didn't use a perforated barrier sheet between the part and the batting/bleeder layer. What do you do with the batting after the part cures? Does it peel away from the part ok?

Thanks,

Chris
the layer between the bleeder and actual part is peel-ply. When ever you use peel-ply it peels right off typically. The only time you really need a perforated sheet, is if your not looking for a ready to bond surface (the peel ply makes it where no sanding is needed prior to bonding). The perforated sheet then takes the place of the peel-ply.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
In between feeling like Crap today (i think i'm getting more sick), and getting home from work, I did some work today..

Trimmed the flanges on the top of the fuselage:

Flipped the fuselage... HOLY crap this thing has gotten heavy. Its easily 150lbs right now:

Then put some body filler on the aft end of the fuselage that needs finished:

then the stab mold halves came out of the vacuum bag and the peel ply and bleeder cloth pulled off. Next time, i'll probably go with 2 layers of peel-ply, or just be a little more cautious with the resin, as the peel ply was a pain to get off on one half (see video):

Video:
How to Build an F-14D Tomcat #57 (9 min 43 sec)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Holy Crap! thats awesome!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Incredible build..very much enjoy following along..lots of excellent material for highend building in this thread..virtual library of plug and mold making..big thanks for your hard work at producing so many excellent videos of your build..you should consider having it all edited for diy homebuilding dvd..
Take care.......Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover or die View Post
Incredible build..very much enjoy following along..lots of excellent material for highend building in this thread..virtual library of plug and mold making..big thanks for your hard work at producing so many excellent videos of your build..you should consider having it all edited for diy homebuilding dvd..
Take care.......Chris
If someone approached me interested in doing so, I would entertain the offer. I have over 30 GIGS of information on this build, and still have ALLOT more to go.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Made up the internal structure for the horizontal stab and closed the stab mold last night. the internal structure consist of a solid carbon "rib" with a hole for the tip of the stab pivot rod and a slot for the titanium anti-pivot rod to slot into. The carbon rib then has another piece of carbon glued to the tip side of the rib to keep the anti-pivot rod from coming out. Then 2 pieces of sold carbon are glued parallel to the stab pivot rod. Then a 3/16" spar is run from the carbon rib parallel to the stab LE to about 2" shy of the stab tip.

Yesterday afternoon i made up the majority of the lower fuselage parting planes for 3 sections of the bottom of the fuselage:

Then this afternoon, I waxed the planed off sections to prep them for molding. Then i opened up the horizontal stab mold, and cleaned the flashing off the part.

A Few things were learned.
1. Its HEAVY @ 1.5lb (.3lbs of it is titanium parts).
2. It is WAYYYYY over-built.
3. The 3mm airex can be replaced with 1.5mm airex
4. A full-carbon skin isn't really necessary.

Video:
How to Build an F-14D Tomcat #58 (16 min 50 sec)
Last edited by invertmast; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:01 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
I have not checked your progress in a while. Wow, the fuse mold is awesome! That is one complicated parting board you have there!!! Great job....the whole thing is just so impressive!

Brian
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I have not checked your progress in a while. Wow, the fuse mold is awesome! That is one complicated parting board you have there!!! Great job....the whole thing is just so impressive!

Brian
The fuselage mold is definitely one complicated piece... I just hope when it comes time to take it all apart it breaks down like I want it to. lol
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
WOW!
I'm still wondering how you're going to actually make the fuselage part. It surely won't be possible to do it as one piece, so will it be done as a single top and bottom piece?
One other thought is, how on earth are you going to get the mold that goes down between the fuselage and the intake off?
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78 View Post
WOW!
I'm still wondering how you're going to actually make the fuselage part. It surely won't be possible to do it as one piece, so will it be done as a single top and bottom piece?
One other thought is, how on earth are you going to get the mold that goes down between the fuselage and the intake off?
The fuselage will be molded in 4 different sections. 1. Top, 2. Bottom, 3. Left inlet ramp, 4. right inlet ramp. Then all joined together.

The plug was constructed so as not to lock the mold into place between the fuselage and inlet ramp...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
well.. got the 3 sections of the fuselage molded up tonight... thanks to the wife! she came out around 5pm (i had been working on it since 7am) and offered to help.. we finished up around 11pm!

Pictures tomorrow.. i'm going to bed!!