HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
I have heard of the klassen, but i have the kolhm's. Which will be one of the first things i buy once the F14s start selling
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Well.. i'm almost at the point with the Gee Bee build, where i'm lacking all the guts to continue with the build.. The thing is nearly framed up. All that is left, is about a day or 2 of work on the fuselage, and 2 or 3 days work on the wings...

so, what all does that have to do with the F-14? Well.. since i need about $1000 to buy the rest of the materials to finish the Gee Bee (and i don't have $1000 right now), that means work to the F-14 will continue.

I AM GOING TO HAVE THE F-14 FUSELAGE molded by the end of APRIL 2012! One way or another!

I am planning on going to the First in Flight Jet Rally in Wilson, NC the end of may. So in order to make the trip productive in F-14 sense, I MUST have a prototype fuselage ready for the event.

So, the time line for that is this: I'll be gone the last 2 weeks of april. Meaning the molds have to be be completed by April 15th. So, when I return from that work trip, I have basically 2 1/2 weeks to mold a fuselage. Not a whole lot of time, for ALLOT of work..

In the process of molds curing, I may lay up some horizontal stabs as well since I've got all the materials to do so now..

OH, and if ANYONE is interested and willing to make a road trip (thats local) to help accomplish this, i've got a spare place to sleep here at the house haha
Last edited by invertmast; Mar 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Oh, for those interested in the Gee Bee progress, here is what it looks like right now... Some of the parts are ready for paint already (rudder, cockpit door, canopy frame, elevators, horizontal stab)

Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,360 Posts
And the wine?
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Well.. i'm almost at the point with the Gee Bee build, where i'm lacking all the guts to continue with the build.. The thing is nearly framed up. All that is left, is about a day or 2 of work on the fuselage, and 2 or 3 days work on the wings...

so, what all does that have to do with the F-14? Well.. since i need about $1000 to buy the rest of the materials to finish the Gee Bee (and i don't have $1000 right now), that means work to the F-14 will continue.

I AM GOING TO HAVE THE F-14 FUSELAGE molded by the end of APRIL 2012! One way or another!

I am planning on going to the First in Flight Jet Rally in Wilson, NC the end of may. So in order to make the trip productive in F-14 sense, I MUST have a prototype fuselage ready for the event.

So, the time line for that is this: I'll be gone the last 2 weeks of april. Meaning the molds have to be be completed by April 15th. So, when I return from that work trip, I have basically 2 1/2 weeks to mold a fuselage. Not a whole lot of time, for ALLOT of work..

In the process of molds curing, I may lay up some horizontal stabs as well since I've got all the materials to do so now..

OH, and if ANYONE is interested and willing to make a road trip (thats local) to help accomplish this, i've got a spare place to sleep here at the house haha
Rockingham USA is a bit more then a road trip for me (from Melbourne, Australia) unfortunately. I sure am looking forward to the results though.
Great workmanship with the Gee Bee though... WOW! You're certainly skilled in many areas.
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
BACK TO WOK ON THE TOMCAT!

First layer of surface resin is put down.. unfortunately for whatever resin, youtube won't allow me to upload the video I have taken
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
How to Build An F-14D Tomcat #54 (6 min 16 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Thomas,
Looks great! Your going to watch the sunrise tomorrow morning from your garage. It's ok...been there done that! The excitement will keep you going! Have fun...I'm sure you've been dreaming of this day for a long time.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Mar 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Thomas,
Looks great! Your going to watch the sunrise tomorrow morning from your garage....lol.

LOL... yea your probably right! I knew i should of stayed up when i got home at 2AM and just got this started. It wouldn't be the first time i've seen the sun rise from the shop area though. haha
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
woooooooooooo... work!

How to build an F-14D Tomcat #55 Part 1 (9 min 8 sec)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Since I prefer to let my mold halves cure for a minimum of 24 hours before messing with it, its time for some other work.

So..

Forward half of the fuselage molded:

first up, I knocked out the parting planes from the rear end of the fuselage and Trimmed the mold flanges down:

Then I needed something else to do. So i made a trip to HomeDepot, Picked up some 7mil clear plastic, a few NPT fittings..

When i got home, i made up a vacuum bag large enough to hold both stab mold halves.. yes i said stab molds To make the bag, I cut the plastic large enough to fold over on itself, then put a bead of clear silicon down the edges of the bag and pressed the bag into the silicon.

Then waxed and PVA'd the mold halves:

Then cut out the foam sandwhich pieces.. HOLY crap this stuff is some dense hard to cut foam!

Then I cut out all the glass and carbon layers:

Once the PVA dries, some paint will get put on, then when that is dried i'll start laying up some stab halves
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Exciting as always! Loved the timelaps too. I'm amazed you haven't had any offers of assistance with this... I guess everyone lives too far away.
What is the foam that you're using for the stabs? It looks like regular depron, is it just a denser version of that?
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78 View Post
Exciting as always! Loved the timelaps too. I'm amazed you haven't had any offers of assistance with this... I guess everyone lives too far away.
What is the foam that you're using for the stabs? It looks like regular depron, is it just a denser version of that?
Nope, not depron. Its airex C-70. Its about 5 times denser than depron and ALLOT stronger
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,295 Posts
PARTS IN THE BAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

video later
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,046 Posts
Nice Thomas! Gotta make a part here and there to keep your sanity. Impressive as always!!!
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler