SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:04 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
this is all really very impressive. I'm learning a lot about mold making, which is gonna be important whenever I get to my Jaguar.............."IF" I ever get to my Jaguar. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Top Rear half of the fuselage is molded and curing now..... Maybe i'll post a picture later
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Ooooooooooooooooooo..... fuuuusseeelllaaageeee and a ACP composites order!

Youtube VIDEO!!!!!!!!!
How to Build an F-14D Tomcat #53 (11 min 57 sec)
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:31 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
973 Posts
Awesome stuff Thomas! The stuff you purchased from ACP looks cool. So I assume you have a CNC router for cutting parts out of those composite sheets. Did you build your own or buy a prebuilt one? (Sorry if I missed it earlier in your thread.)

Thanks!

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Thanks paul! No cnc router yet, thats the next big tool purchase for this project. Ill be cutting the prototype parts by hand unfortunately. When it comes time for the actual production parts, i will probably farm that work out so its one less thing for me to have to focus on
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
This is getting really exciting. I can't wait to see how the fuselage molds turn out after you have put so much effort into the details.
How many pieces will actually make up the fuselage though? Is it one top and one bottom, then the cover over the wing... or are you doing multiple pieces for top and/or bottom?
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78 View Post
This is getting really exciting. I can't wait to see how the fuselage molds turn out after you have put so much effort into the details.
How many pieces will actually make up the fuselage though? Is it one top and one bottom, then the cover over the wing... or are you doing multiple pieces for top and/or bottom?
The fuselage mold will be in 8 separate pieces.... Atleast
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Haven't done to much on the F-14 lately... Mostly been waiting on parts, and been spending time with the family, and doing allot of research on my next project, a 26.5% GeeBee R2 which is the test bed to a 53% GeeBee R2 that will utilize a stainless steel fuse frame and construction like the full scale.

Anyways, back to the Tomcat.

I finally received all the stuff (well i thought all of it) for my vacuum bag setup. So i went about and built it up. The only things i have to get are a few PVC pipe cap's for the sub-reservoir (this makes it where the pump doesn't a vacuum on it during start up) and the vacuum manifold for all 7 vacuum connectors (this should be here tomorrow), So here's a picture of the setup.

Specs:
10CFM in Free air
26" hg
20gallon vacuum resevoir
Auto-cycle's on/off to keep the vacuum within 4"hg of its set point.

Now I just need some stickers to "bling" it out. haha

Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
...and doing allot of research on my next project, a 26.5% GeeBee R2 which is the test bed to a 53% GeeBee R2 that will utilize a stainless steel fuse frame and construction like the full scale.

Now THAT I can't wait to see!!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Now THAT I can't wait to see!!
The 53% will be a difficult project... more difficult than finding documentation on Luftwaffe aircraft from WW2. Original drawings are hard to come by, and their are very few (if any) photo's of the original's during construction.. So the reason for it being a long ways out before its done is 1. F-14 has priority, 2. I've got to find someone with those original drawings (they are out there) who is willing to let me have a copy for the construction.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:13 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,456 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the New England Air Museum have the drawings for the R1 Super Sportser and have used them to build the replica R1 they have on display. This is the aircraft Delmar Benjamin was given permission to study in detail as it was under construction by museum staff when he started on his R2 replica project. He was not given access to any of the original drawings though as the Granvilles did not give permission for this, but in the end he and builder Steve Wolf got to measure and photograph the R1 under construction in the museum so his R2 replica should be as close to scale as possible. I highly doubt you would be able to get hold of drawings though but you never know, I'd start by contacting the museum.

http://www.neam.org
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,024 Posts
That looks like a serious set up you got there! I'll be interested to see how you make out. I am still trying to figure out the best way to do it. Rope caulk for sealing windows did not work well. Left a lot of residue that was hard to get off the flange. Plumbers putty left a residue, but was much easier to get off and is re-usable. I have the sealant tape I have not tried, but it's expensive and don;t think its possible to pull off the bag if you need to make adjustments which almost always have to do.. The best option is making a full bag for the smaller molds, but for big molds it gets tough I thik.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Haven't done to much on the F-14 lately... Mostly been waiting on parts, and been spending time with the family, and doing allot of research on my next project, a 26.5% GeeBee R2 which is the test bed to a 53% GeeBee R2 that will utilize a stainless steel fuse frame and construction like the full scale.

Anyways, back to the Tomcat.

I finally received all the stuff (well i thought all of it) for my vacuum bag setup. So i went about and built it up. The only things i have to get are a few PVC pipe cap's for the sub-reservoir (this makes it where the pump doesn't a vacuum on it during start up) and the vacuum manifold for all 7 vacuum connectors (this should be here tomorrow), So here's a picture of the setup.

Specs:
10CFM in Free air
26" hg
20gallon vacuum resevoir
Auto-cycle's on/off to keep the vacuum within 4"hg of its set point.

Now I just need some stickers to "bling" it out. haha

Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Yea i'm not sure how i'm going to do bags yet either, but i have a feeling i'm going to have to attach them to the flanges..
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,862 Posts
we use the bagging sealant tape at work ,it can be reused if your careful to keep the paper that peels off ,and recover it after you remove the bagging material.now some time the bagging comes off easy by giving it a reall hard jerk,sometimes it wont depends on temp and humidity.we always use a mylar flash breaker tape on the mold flanges to put the "dum dum" on (thats what we call it )but you need to be careful to seal the mylar tape overlaps.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:05 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
I just bead resin on the flange and push the bag into it.
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member