HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:21 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Just tried it and it gets up to 115-120 degrees inside. The full size is a hair too small though to go all the way around my wing. I need to neatly pack it up and exchange it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
hmm.. interesting, guess i'll have to go look again
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Just tried it and it gets up to 115-120 degrees inside. The full size is a hair too small though to go all the way around my wing. I need to neatly pack it up and exchange it.
Nice! that would mean im going to need a king-size then. lol
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,567 Posts
Yeah mine is from Target/Walmart/meijer......something like that.
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Went to HomeDepot and picked up some MDF sheets to extend the width of the tomcat table, also some material for parting planes..

First up was widening the table, and putting the parting plane supports in place around the fuse:

Then using some green floral foam, i made a support for the nose of the fuselage to get the fuselage "level" and hot-glued the foam piece to the table:

Then started chopping some shelf boards for parting planes. Got the first portion of the spine parting plane cut and filler applied:

Then the left side plane:

Then the Right side plane:

Then the beaver tail plane:

And a wide angle shot of the entire assembly as it sits right now:

I'm going to go out and cut the slots for the horizontal stab pivot rods in the side planes and sand the body filler flush/smooth and then glue them into position.

I'm debating on either building the parting planes for the nose and wing glove area's tomorrow, or just go ahead and molding the aft portion of the fuselage.... I'm thinking i will probably do the parting planes So i can just get them out of the way so the entire top half of the fuse can be molded in a weekend.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Went back out to the shop with the intentions on finishing the parting planes on aft end of the fuselage.. I ended up getting the filler sanded down and the vertical cross planes hot-glued into position. Then decided I was to tired and lazy for the night to finish the rest. So tomorrows mission is to finish the rear parting planes and get the horizontal parting planes on the front side of the fuselage done. Then over the week i'll start cutting the fiberglass layers, and lay up the top of the fuselage next weekend.

Here's what the aft end of the fuselage parting planes will look like when finished:

Video part 1:
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #51 part 1 (8 min 53 sec)

Video part 2:
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #51 part 2 (4 min 59 sec)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:52 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Wow, the fuse is going to be an impressive set of molds! Lots of work into that one!

By the way, since the electric blanket would not wrap around my wing, I stood it up on its trailing edge and draped it over top. It would not get up over 85 degrees though. Works much better when its wrapped around tight. Well my fiance had a great idea and told me to throw another blanket on top and that at least got it up to 110. I'll leave it in there until tommorrow some time and then take then pop it open.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Wow, the fuse is going to be an impressive set of molds! Lots of work into that one!

By the way, since the electric blanket would not wrap around my wing, I stood it up on its trailing edge and draped it over top. It would not get up over 85 degrees though. Works much better when its wrapped around tight. Well my fiance had a great idea and told me to throw another blanket on top and that at least got it up to 110. I'll leave it in there until tommorrow some time and then take then pop it open.

you can say that again man. The top is the "simple" part to. I'm thinking in the end the fuse may be at least 7 different sections, b/c i was looking at it last night and their appears to be a small amount (about 3/32") of negative draft on the outer portions of the engine nacelles. If that is the case, i'm going to have to spit the mold length wise down the center of the nacelle. oh Joy!

So the blanket only gets up to 85* when its just draped.. weird.. I wonder how how those in-floor electric heating pads get? I bet you could glue one of those to the backside of the molds and heat up the entire mold every time you do a layup. then you'd be post curing every layup as well..
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Well nevermind on the in floor heating. Seems they only get up to about 85-95*f and its over $300 for a "system" to cover 11 sq. ft Electric blankets sound much better
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
465 Posts
Why don't you get some foil backed foam, a roll of aluminum duct tape and a heater and build a "cure box". With a 1500 watt electric heater sealed into an opening (only the intake portion showing so there is no hot surface near the foam) I would think that it would get extremely warm in there...probably in the 160-190F range. Not sure how hot you need it. You would have to allow for and "exhaust" vent, preferably on the opposite side from the heater.
I would think that would cost less than $100 assuming two 4x8 sheets of foam.

You could also buy a thermocouple and make a panel up to turn it on/off at a pre-determined temp. Maybe there already is a pre-made inline (120volt) thermostat that you could purchase, but all the ones that I can think of off the top of my head only go to about 100F before they cut out.

EDIT:
I would only do this on a weekend or sometime when it could be monitored continously until you are comfortable with its operation. Another thought... The high temp cutoff on an electric dryer is usually on at 170F off at 250F but maybe you could find one of those with a lower setting. I just looked at Amazon and they are less than $10, but you would need to find one with a lower temp rating.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Last edited by JurassicJet; Jan 29, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
Why don't you get some foil backed foam, a roll of aluminum duct tape and a heater and build a "cure box". With a 1500 watt electric heater sealed into an opening (only the intake portion showing so there is no hot surface near the foam) I would think that it would get extremely warm in there...probably in the 160-190F range. Not sure how hot you need it. You would have to allow for and "exhaust" vent, preferably on the opposite side from the heater.
I would think that would cost less than $100 assuming two 4x8 sheets of foam.

You could also buy a thermocouple and make a panel up to turn it on/off at a pre-determined temp. Maybe there already is a pre-made inline (120volt) thermostat that you could purchase, but all the ones that I can think of off the top of my head only go to about 100F before they cut out.

To answer your question.

SIZE

I would need four 4x8 sheets of foam, as it has to be 8' long, 4' wide and 4' tall. Keeping that thing in my shop would take up a HUGE amount of space that is better suited for other things.

The box is the better way, i'm just looking for another option to save myself some space. Especially when you consider that the fuselage mold will weight in close to 150-200lbs when completed
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! You'll need some amphetamines if your laying up that mold by yourself. What an ambitious project....I love it!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
465 Posts
ahhhh I see. OK, just thought I would throw that out there.
sounds like you need a bigger shop!
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! You'll need some amphetamines if your laying up that mold by yourself. What an ambitious project....I love it!
Imma need some pain killers to! Unfortunately i think in going to end up doing the layup of the fuse mold on my own. I have a few guys who said they would help, but im to impatient to wait on others, and its hard to find other people who dont mind spending an entire weekend doing the same thing all day
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
ahhhh I see. OK, just thought I would throw that out there.
sounds like you need a bigger shop!
Dont let my wife hear you say that, she will kill us both! Lol. Actually i just got a bigger shop, an entire 2 car garage. Once i get he molds done, ill be able to make bettef use of the space, so i may be able to fit a hot box somewhere
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Work work and more work! Fuselage parting planes are basically done for the top half, just have a few left to do after the rear portion is molded. Through the week i'll work on getting the aft portion of the fuse waxed so next weekend I can mold the rear half, and get the front half done as well.

Viiiiidddeeeooooooo
How to build an F-14D Tomcat #52 (5 min 23 sec)